Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A few weeks ago I was invited to a pool party. "Too bad I have acne on my back," I thought. "I have to wear a swimsuit and all those clear-skinned people will see it. Poor me!"

I came back from the party with a completely different perspective. You see, there was this girl there. She was friendly and talkative, one of those people that have so many interesting stories that they often become the center of attention. She shook everyone's hands with a smile and radiated happiness as she introduced her new husband of 33 days. I was truly inspired by her courage. Why?

First of all, she had serious acne scarring all over her face. We all know how awful that is.

Second of all, her legs were swollen to the size of tree trunks. No exaggeration. She was a short girl, just a little bit chubby, but her round and puffy legs were completely out of proportion. She wobbled around on marshmellow feet. Eventually she told us that it was the side effect of some chemotherapy.

She changed into a swimsuit and hobbled into the pool, laughing and joking with all the other guests. Suddenly I didn't feel so bad about the acne on my back.

Acne sucks and I know how miserable it is to go out with The Great Pyramid rising up on your chin. But whenever you're feeling sorry for yourself, remember the girl at my pool party. She had a lot more reasons than acne to stay indoors and cover herself up. But instead she chose to go out, meet people, have fun, make friends.

There's nothing stopping you from doing the same.

You saw these flaws, but her wonderful attitude completely changed your outlook for a moment. This is a perfect example of the power we hold.

Exactly! You put it so well. I did notice her flaws but the impression that she left me with was of her sunny personality and personal courage.

We can't stop people from noticing our acne - although I think people notice it a lot less often than we assume - but we do have the power to make sure that our acne isn't what they remember us by.

wow i bet being a cancer survivor herself that what gave her the confidence and personality she has. there are much worse disease out there than acne. i guess until you actually get one that is life threatening like cancer, you'll realize how precious life is. you have to enjoy life no matter what. i know that easier said than done. if i had the power to have severe acne for the rest of my life to save my ex-girlfriend from cancer, i would do it in a heart beat. life is so unfair. you have to realize and accept that for people like us to be happy.

I don't ever like comparing to the ones less fortunate. I think it's a coward way to gain some temporary self confidence. I'm glad the girl is comfortable with her self. And i bet she didn't gain it by looking and thinking about someone who was way less fortunate then her.

Confidence is sexy, even if you have to fake it :) I'm glad she could be so comfortable in her own skin (or at least show people she can be). I hope to be like that some day as well. :) Thanks for sharing.

I don't ever like comparing to the ones less fortunate. I think it's a coward way to gain some temporary self confidence. I'm glad the girl is comfortable with her self. And i bet she didn't gain it by looking and thinking about someone who was way less fortunate then her.

Agree on what u have said. I never thought of pitying people who are much less fortunate than me. In fact they don't need that. Instead when i see them i felt so ashamed of myself. They have so much courage to enjoy their life fully everyday single day and yet here i am, once in a while prefering to shut myself out from the world. I will really like to have thesepeople sharing with me their experiences, how they managed to win over themselves and not even mind what others say.

There are days where i am super duper 'arrogant' telling myself that, hey i am 'special' in my own way i dun even care a heck about what they say. But honestly most of the time, when i am out, i have 'some fear' inside me. Perhaps is the sickness of hearing the same old criticism again. It is worse when i woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I cant seem to enjoy the things in my life. But not till the extent of depression.

My main problem now is learning to control my f temper. I have been reading up on it and i really hope i can learn to control it. I feel that it has been getting worse lately. i dun want to affect my family.