Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristymay_c

I'm new! Is this normal????

I am a 28 y/o female trying to control my acne. I think it's hormonal acne because when I was on birth control pills, it wasn't too bad. I am off of them now and the acne is terrible! I think my hormones are still in the process of rebalancing themselves. I am currently taking minnocycline but am trying to wean myself off of the perscription pills because I don't want to be on them forever, plus I'm trying to get pregnant and they are not allowed during pregnancy. I have read about the benzoyl peroxide treatment so I've tried it. It works!!!! I began using the product that I already have (Nature's Cure 5% benzoyl peroxide). I've rubbed it all over my face and have been doing this for a week and a half now. Amazingly enough, it has kept me clear! But I notice when I apply it, it burns my eyes so bad that I have to close them when I put it on. After it's absorbed, it's OKay. However, the past few days I've woken up with puffy somewhat wrinkly eyes! At first I didn't know what was causing it. I kept up with applying the Nature's Cure every night, and proactiv solution every morning. It's only the Nature's Cure that seems to be burning my eyes. After a few more days of this, I woke up with one eye totally puffy underneath and there is like a large wrinkle! I think it's because of the benzoyl peroxide! I'm really bummed out because this is the only thing that has worked to clear up my skin! Should i cut down to 2.5 percent or 2 percent, like recommended?? I'm worried that if I do this, I won't be as clear. :( Please tell me if this has happened to anyone else, and your experience with it?? Thanks!

You might be applying the BP too close to your eyes. I've attached a little picture of where to avoid getting BP.

Also, 2.5% BP is just as effective as 5% and 10% without being as drying or irritating. You could switch to a 2.5% BP without sacrificing any of the efficacy against acne, plus it would be easier on your skin. ; )

post-77161-1251685351_thumb.jpg

post-77161-1251685351_thumb.jpg