Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drenj32

Please help me identify which acne I have and how I can treat it (w/ pics)

Hello, I'm new here, well basic info, I guess I have struggled with acne for about 4 or so years now? but it became the way it is today, two years ago. Well anyway, I am actually unsure how to classify the acne that I have, and just want to clear things up.(no pun intended :P) So things that I would really liked explained to me, if you would be so kind is: A. What type of acne do I have? B. Is there scarring, if so how severe? C. Treatments best suited for my type of acne, personally

In my opinion I think I have inflammatory acne and a bit of scarring and red marks, the problem for me is these marks just won't go away and it's been years now, and of course I still have active acne. Thank you very much. : ) Here are some photos.

post-110148-1251630684_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630715_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630732_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630764_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630786_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630811_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630828_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630684_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630715_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630732_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630764_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630786_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630811_thumb.jpg

post-110148-1251630828_thumb.jpg

Hiya

Seems your acne is pretty similar to mine (IE no real whiteheads/blackheads, and a mix of scars and actice spots).

I'm pretty new to the forums but have had experience with acne for around 2 years (although i did have a few spots before it only got to this stage recently- similar to you again!).

First thing i guess is to improve your diet and lifestyle. I'll be honest, my diet used to be AWFUL. I was one of those kids that could abuse junk food and not gain weight (or get spots at that time!) so I did this throughout most of my teens- however, you have nothing to lose by changing it! Lots of water, low in fat and processed sugars etc. Lots of excercise blah blah- same old :)

anyways right to answer your questions:

a. I'd take a punt at moderate. Atleast that's what i class mine as :)

b. It does look like you have a bit of scarring, but nothing massive. Check out the page on hyper pigmentation for more info. On a side note- try and address the acne problem before thinking about the scars!

c. This is the big question! First thing- avoid 99% of 'acne' products on the market, as they're poo. I've also tried a number of antibiotics which haven't worked. So again, obvious answer- try the regimen! I can't reccomend it at the moment as i'm only on my third day, but if you follow it strictly you could see results within a month or so. There's more info on this via 'get clear- start here' at the top of the page.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks a lot bro, I'd say I'm glad we're in the same boat, but who would wish this on someone else? not me certainly, anyway, I'm interested in the regimen but I am kind of worried, due to the fact it is promoting the use of Benzoyl Peroxide, I mean, that's what started this whole mess, maybe I used it the wrong way though, idk. I will say though, that after I used, benzoyl peroxide, and clindamycin, it got a LOT worse, to the degree it is now, but imagine a person who typically had mild acne, and at the time I had red marks, that I thought were active pimples and I attacked them with benzoyl peroxide, and ta-da : /

Thanks a lot bro, I'd say I'm glad we're in the same boat, but who would wish this on someone else? not me certainly, anyway, I'm interested in the regimen but I am kind of worried, due to the fact it is promoting the use of Benzoyl Peroxide, I mean, that's what started this whole mess, maybe I used it the wrong way though, idk. I will say though, that after I used, benzoyl peroxide, and clindamycin, it got a LOT worse, to the degree it is now, but imagine a person who typically had mild acne, and at the time I had red marks, that I thought they were active pimples and I attacked them with benzoyl peroxide, and ta-da : /

eek

i had tried duac before for a couple of months and it didn't help. I think whatever you try or do, you have to be happy for the acne to worsen before it gets better (either via initial break outs or whathaveyou).

accutane COULD be an option- but for me it simply isn't worth the risk. the side effects are massive, and i myself would only consider it as the last resort.

I guess the best thing you could do would be to see a doctor or dermatologist maybe, see if they can prescribe you doxycycline/tetracycline/minocyclin - these are all very similar drugs, and have very little, few and far between and weak side effects. They could take up to 3 months or more to work however.

If i were in your position and could accept the condition getting worse, i'd definately give one of those a try whilst starting out on the regimen too- a problem i made in the past with duac was to not use it properly (IE used comedic products simultaneously, used it sparingly, only used it for 2 months). Try and use 2.5% BP too!

Make sure you're not stressed and get alot of sleep too!

Hey Drenj32,

Your acne atm is about as bad as mine was which is moderate (which sounds like an understatement for the amount of pain it puts us through) ANYWAY. My question for u is, are u doing anything at all to irritate ur skin? Over the years ive realised this can mean:

1. Washing it for too long i.e. more than 10 seconds or so

2. Scrubbing, rubbing or scratching ur face even with a clean towel will spread tiny bit of bacteria and make those pores react, swell slightly and clog up.

3. Any acne products which overload ur skin, again making it agitated. Thats probably wat the BP did in ur case.

4. Probably the most obvious and important, NEVER EVER PICK A PIMPLE. Even when there looks like a whitehead ready to go, if u disturb it even slightly it spreads the bacteria and u start over again. As well as ur setting urself up for pock marks.

As a disclaimer, my route for treating acne has been the ALA-PDT, not recommended by me unless uve got spare cash and patience.

Cheers,

Steve

Hello, my name is Keith...I suffered very bad acne up to 22. I took roaccutane and it left me depressed for many years. Anyhow I would just like to let you know of somone who can and will help you if you trust him. Go to the following website where you can read all about this person: It called the Bruno Groning Circle of Friends. Just google it and you will find it.

I have read of countless case's of acne sufferers who were completely healed of acne, even the scarring it left. He said, this man, "nothing is incurable, God is the Greatest Physician"...he cured me of my depression that was initially caused by Acne.

Anyhow, just thought I'd let you know.

Keith.

Ps There is most likely a Community close to you.

inflammatory acne. no whiteheads or blackheads, but small cysts and pustules. i would give a shot at the regimen or maybe accutane.

I'd like to try the regimen first, I don't have any insurance at the moment, bad transition period, thank you all very much for the replies, I was wondering which supplements would be the best for that type of acne, thanks.

you won't need accutane for that (imo). I've had similar acne as yours but more whiteheads. Regimen is definitely showing big progress. Order Dan's bp, it's amazing.

Thanks for the replies! Jw concerning the regimine, does it also help clear marks or light scars, also how severe is my scarring? Can it be removed? And again, which supplements would u reccomend? Thanks :)

A. What type of acne do I have? B. Is there scarring, if so how severe? C. Treatments best suited for my type of acne, personally

Hey there, I'll give a shot at answering your questions. :)

A. Looks like moderate acne to me, not many whiteheads which is actually a good thing.

B. Not much scarring at all, consider yourself lucky! And remember red marks are not scars.

C. Why not try accutane? I did it, my only regret was I didn't do it sooner.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the replies! Jw concerning the regimine, does it also help clear marks or light scars, also how severe is my scarring? Can it be removed? And again, which supplements would u reccomend? Thanks :)

Figured I try to answer this too! Nothing REALLY helps red marks except time, trust me on that one. I have tons, it used to be a lot worse. With scarring, it's mostly the same. Besides you barely have any scars anyway so I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. And for supplements, vitamin C and maybe fish oil? They're both good for the skin.

Oh, and take a shot of apple cider vinegar everyday, it helps. Best of luck to you my friend.

my skin is similar to yours and my GP said it was moderate to server.... to me its extreamly server but thats cos itsmy skin and only you and i and any one els suffering from this can be the judge od haw bad they feel.... i have tried all sorts of topical treatments, anti biotics, birth control pills, facials, cleansers, moisturisers, bP, and nothing worked.... ihave been refered to a derm and hae an appointment in three weeks and i think while i am waiting for the appointment i will try Dans reg...but i feel that the shipping costs are so much..... imin the Uk and i worked out that it will cost £25 to ship the products to me... thats a lot......

Hi drenj32.

That almost looks like cystic acne.

Just out of curiosity, what percent BP did you use? Anything higher than 2.5% is unnecessary, and may actually exasperate the condition.

Diet: I agree with this for sure. When I greatly reduced my sugar intake, I saw a difference in days. No soda, no juice, no junk, no white bread/potatoes/cereal/other starchy foods, less dairy, more water. All the prior items will spike your blood glucose levels upon consumptions. This causes an insulin response, resulting in inflammation and hormone unbalances.

PH: How do you wash your skin? Do you use multiple soaps in the shower? If so, try only using the BP on your face and nothing else. Then try applying white vinegar on your face once or twice throughout the day. This will help lower the PH of your skin and could make a difference over days or weeks.

I hope all these tips help you out!

Jen

Edited by JenAuschland

IF YOU TRY ACCUTANE WATCH YOUR EYES CLOSELY!!!! ACCUTANCE CAN/WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYES PERMANTELY. I WOULDNT TAKE IT IF I WAS YOU! IF YOU DO, AND YOU HAVE THE SLIGHTEST BLOOD VESSELL IN YOUR EYE APPEAR STOP IMMEDIATELY!! THEY DO NOT GO AWAY!!!

I typed this in caps for a reason ...

thanks all for the replies, in response to JenAuschland I think I was using somewhere around 5% I don't really remember, it's been a while, as far as cystic acne goes, I don't know really but thank you everyone for the suggestions the dietary changes are somewhat doable for me, but they'll really restrictive and when I don't buy my own food it's tricky, I'll try though, and I might try to get some BP and moisturizer, which would you suggest ?(other than Dan's BP)