Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nowonder

anti-inflammatory diet?

Been thinking about starting an antiinflammatory diet consisting of mainly fruits and veggies, maybe some chicken and definitely fish also. Now, I had been colon cleansing lately and yesterday was my last day, it was stupid of me to eat beef right after the cleanse, will the beef that I ate reclog my colon or will it(most of it) move along?

Anyway, just wanted some ideas on what foods are KNOWN to be anti-inflammatory. I've been reading a lot of posts here and other places online, and there is a lot of contradicting information about foods. So, if anyone is on an anti-inflammatory diet that is working for them, can you list some foods that you are eating, I just need a starting point to find a diet that fits me.

Sure hope the beef I ate gets digested and leaves my body soon.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me.

p.s. - got some teas and a couple of supplements on the way.

teas - green, chamomile, peppermint

supplements - acai, ala, omega-3

if you could think of some, please let me know,I am taking a big step towards getting clear, this may be my last hope.

I think you will find adhering to this sort of diet will help you a lot. Pretty much all veggies are anti-inflammatory, so eat a ton of them and at every meal. Eat some raw, some cooked, and don't eat the same veggies over and over again every day. Most fruits are slightly inflammatory so don't go overboard with them. I find if I keep my fruit to about 2 servings/day I'm golden. Veggies should be like 8-10 servings a day though. You could look into green smoothies, and definitely plan on having 1-2 huge salads with lots of stuff in it each day.

Google "top anti-inflammatory foods" you'll get some interesting lists- some of the more obscure but extremely anti-inflammatory include garlic, turmeric, ginger, wild caught cold-water fish, and grass-fed beef and chicken.

You'll be ok with the beef, I wouldn't worry about it too much. At least you cleaned everything out before hand right? Try and get your hands on some grass fed beef- this is how the animals were supposed to eat, and the difference in the nutritional profile between conventional/mass-farmed and grass-fed beef is astounding!

Alpha lipoic acid is a great supplement too. Extremely powerful antioxidant, I like to take ALA right before I go on a long run to minimize the free radicals generated by exercise.

thanks for your reply, the beef that I ate was from a local farm I believe. yes I cleaned everything out before hand, I just don't want the beef I ate after the cleanse to sit in my colon. I have this idea that the food that may be sitting in my colon may reverse the effects of my diet. I may be paranoid, but can somebody explain to me that I am wrong. I guess a little beef should move along fine, hopefully within a day or two.

Insulin causes inflammation, therefore foods, drinks, meals, and habits that excessively elevate insulin levels and keep it elevated are inflammatory. Also, most omega 6 EFAs, grains which are high in omega 6, vegetable oils high in omega 6 and products from grain fed animals are inflammatory. Omega 6 EFAs are essential so you don't want to avoid entirely, but most people get way too much.

Also, avoid hydrogenated and trans fats. This includes margarine and crisco, which means most commercially baked goods. And most likely any fried food from almost all restaurants or other commercial source. Unless you are in the tropics and they fry in coconut oil, you most likely need to avoid fried foods. And even so, it's not the best way to cook food to preserve nutrients.

Other than the omega 6 containing plants like grains, nuts, legumes and other kinds of seeds, almost all plant foods, teas, herbs and spices are very anti-inflammatory. As are omega 3 sources like fish.

Insulin causes inflammation, therefore foods, drinks, meals, and habits that excessively elevate insulin levels and keep it elevated are inflammatory. Also, most omega 6 EFAs, grains which are high in omega 6, vegetable oils high in omega 6 and products from grain fed animals are inflammatory. Omega 6 EFAs are essential so you don't want to avoid entirely, but most people get way too much.

Also, avoid hydrogenated and trans fats. This includes margarine and crisco, which means most commercially baked goods. And most likely any fried food from almost all restaurants or other commercial source. Unless you are in the tropics and they fry in coconut oil, you most likely need to avoid fried foods. And even so, it's not the best way to cook food to preserve nutrients.

Other than the omega 6 containing plants like grains, nuts, legumes and other kinds of seeds, almost all plant foods, teas, herbs and spices are very anti-inflammatory. As are omega 3 sources like fish.

Which foods or habits will elevate insulin levels?

I read that a form of omega-6 called GLA can actually be anti-inflammatory. So if you have to take omega-6 supplements(which most americans don't), GLA may be better.

aside from avoiding the obvious "bad guys":

trans fats, colas, artificial anythings, preservatives, MSG, etc.....

....try taking these out of your diet for a couple weeks or couple months:

refined sugar (fruit is ok), dairy, grains.

Which foods or habits will elevate insulin levels?

I read that a form of omega-6 called GLA can actually be anti-inflammatory. So if you have to take omega-6 supplements(which most americans don't), GLA may be better.

Sugar, refined grain products like breads, cereal, cakes, cookies etc., some high GI fruits or too much fruit at one time without protein, fiber and fat to lower the GI of the meal.

You can look up foods on nutritiondata.com. They include a inflammatory rating for each food.

What about grilled chicken, and roasted and salted macadamia nuts (contains high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids)?