Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peachy_D225

On Spiro WITHOUT being on BCP?

Just curious how many of you who are on Spironolactone but NOT on birth control pils have experienced a regular period. Also, if your period became irregular, was it just spotting inbetween periods, early periods, late periods (please describe for me). Thanks so much for your input! Just trying to prepare myself for when I stop taking bcp in 2 weeks!!!

sorry huh. it's out of topic. but try the cold water therapy for your acne. it works. try it. sorry. it's free. take pure cold shower. you will see results.

sorry huh. it's out of topic. but try the cold water therapy for your acne. it works. try it. sorry. it's free. take pure cold shower. you will see results.

Yes, this is out of topic. Please only post replies relating to the question! Thanks for the advice, but no thanks! This is a hormonal acne board-- maybe your advice would be better appreciated on one of the other boards.

Just curious how many of you who are on Spironolactone but NOT on birth control pils have experienced a regular period. Also, if your period became irregular, was it just spotting inbetween periods, early periods, late periods (please describe for me). Thanks so much for your input! Just trying to prepare myself for when I stop taking bcp in 2 weeks!!!

Well, spiro seems to cause more side effects the higher the dosage... so you might be more likely to experience irregular periods or spotting between periods since you're taking 200mg/day.

Well, spiro seems to cause more side effects the higher the dosage... so you might be more likely to experience irregular periods or spotting between periods since you're taking 200mg/day.

Unfortunately, my endocrinologist thinks 200 mg is what's needed to treat acne + hirsutism. After I stop my bcp, if my face continues to stay clear, I think I'd eventually like to try to decrease my Spiro dose. I really don't want to be on 200 mg forever just for clear skin and less fuzz.

I've been taking 200mg of Spiro now for about a year. I used to spot, but not much of a period. Now I just have a spotty period every other month!

I've been taking 200mg of Spiro now for about a year. I used to spot, but not much of a period. Now I just have a spotty period every other month!

Wow, that sounds nice!! Does your "spotty period every other month" come every 60 days, or is it pretty variable? It's so nice now knowing exactly what day and time I'll get my period-- I'm dreading the not-knowing factor of spiro without bcps! Thanks for your reply :)

Guest tvspy

Wow, 200mg. That seems so high. I have been on 50mg and my acne cleared right up. How does 200mg effect you. I experienced some headaches, lightheadness and definate irregular cycles. It's just now starting to get back on track!

Wow, 200mg. That seems so high. I have been on 50mg and my acne cleared right up. How does 200mg effect you. I experienced some headaches, lightheadness and definate irregular cycles. It's just now starting to get back on track!

Are you on bcps? If not, what is your period like being on spiro without bcps? Thanks

I've been on spiro for about 9 months started on 50mg per day and worked my way up to 100mg a day which is what I currently need to stay mostly clear. My periods have been completely regular the entire time, I'm 39y/o and haven't been on BCP for years.

Edited by greeneyes44

I've been on spiro for about 9 months started on 50mg per day and worked my way up to 100mg a day which is what I currently need to stay mostly clear. My periods have been completely regular the entire time, I'm 39y/o and haven't been on BCP for years.

Thanks for your reply! That's great that your periods have been regular. Do you usually get a period once a month? Another poster on here said that she gets her regularly, but every 2 months. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply! That's great that your periods have been regular. Do you usually get a period once a month? Another poster on here said that she gets her regularly, but every 2 months. Thanks!

I'm sorta with you peachy. I'm going to go off my BCP and just take Spiro. That's what I'm most worried about too, my period and how crazy it'll be? :confused:

I'm sorta with you peachy. I'm going to go off my BCP and just take Spiro. That's what I'm most worried about too, my period and how crazy it'll be? :confused:

I'm on 200mgs, have been for a about 6 months and havent noticed ANY difference. People seem to like it, but I'm just waiting for a drs appointment so that I can get properly taken off of it.... As for periods, mine has been SOOOO irregular. Sometimes I get it after a week, sometimes nothing for about 6 weeks. Spotting is typical though so light I don't even worry about it. I would say that in the past six months I've only had one period, that consisted of any basic level of bleeding for over 2 days.

Just a little update...I stopped taking my bcp a couple weeks ago. I was supposed to get my period October 11, but, it decided to come a bit early!! I'm REALLY hoping that my period will normalize within a couple months and that it won't stay irregular. I will keep you all posted!

For me so far, spiro has made my period come a week early two times now... hopefully things normalize for both of us!

From the data I've read, it seems like things don't usually normalize until after the first three months, though :doh:

I'll be reducing my dose after a while, so hopefully things get better at that point, if not before then.

You know what's funny? I never thought Yasmin helped with my period and my last period it was really light and I barely had cramps. NOW I know why? Spiro............ :D That was the best period I had while on the pill. Honestly, I don't really care if my period is irregular or if I have one or not. I just want my skin to stay clear while I'm taking Spiro. I hope it does. :silenced:

I went on spiro in November 2008, and just started at 50 mg a day. I bumped up to 100 mg a day starting around January and after that my period completely disappeared. I didn't even have spotting or any symptoms like cramping, bloating etc. It wasn't until about 2 months after I quit using the spiro that my period came back. I think I'm actually going to go back on it though because my complexion has slowly declined since going off it.. It'll be nice to not have a monthly visitor as well :)

Hey Peachy,

I'm currently still on an OC... I'm taking Estelle and 50-75mg of spironolactone. I was also wondering how many you have successfully come off of birth control whilst still on spironolactone. Have you maintained a normal cycle, regular periods? But more importantly have you been able to stay clear? I don't plan on staying on birth control for a long period of time, but have heard of women who have experienced really bad breakouts post OC pills. Does upping your dose of spironolactone before you come off OC pills work? Or is it inevitable that you will experience a breakout due to the fact your hormones are trying to balance themselves out? Sorry I wasn't of any help in answering your question Peachy but I'm curious about this too. I really wish you guys who are getting off birth contol pills the very best of luck and hope you stay completely clear :)

Edited by Spinnerette