Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Homer0001

Today my derm told me Accutane will treat my acne scars

This has got to be flat out bullshit, correct?

For acne, I've basically taken everything for it except accutane.

The reason I am seeing a derm is mainly to treat all my acne scars on my chest, shoulders, and back. My back is just covered with red marks, whereas my chest and shoulders formed hypertrophic scars.

For the hypertrophic scars, my last two trips to the derm involved steroid injections, I believe Kenalog. Only one raised scar was noticeably shrunk. So I went in today thinking I would get a 3rd round of injections.

The derm and an assistant concluded the shots weren't working and the appointment turned into a mega sales pitch for accutane. They told me everything they could to try to convince me to do it, but I have always refused to do accutane 1. because of how harsh a drug it is and 2. it's too late for me.

I told them, "hey, if this were 6 years ago and you told me accutane would prevent all of this scarring, then I probably would have done it then. But now that the damage is done, it's just not worth 100% preventing new scars. You know and I know that this is a medication that treats acne and not my scars."

Then they told me that the accutane would actually treat my scars. They said the red spots would go away (they might anyway over time, right?) and more shockingly that the accutane will actually help the hypertrophic scars.

I've never heard of this at all, including on these terrific message boards. So I am specifically asking you experts out there, is it bullshit that accutane can treat red spots and hypertrophic scars?

go to 4:15 and it'll show what dan at acne.org says.

In my opinion absolutely no, first they only make generic forms of Accutane now. Your doctor should know this. Another the side effect are very severe, this isn't a medicine that should be lightly prescribed.

I don't believe it. But then again, he's the doctor.. Maybe you should ask him as to HOW it helps scarring. Besides from maybe stopping acne to cause future scarring.

Yeah I did ask how.. she said something like the shutting of the oil glands in the scars is what will get rid of them. She was convinced that my raised scars were actually cystic acne that just happened to be covered with some scar tissue. I told her these aren't zits, they are scars that have been around for years but that didn't change her mind.

OKAY so as far as accutane goes im abouslty in love with it but im on it it for acne and it does a wounderful job of gettin red of it ive never herd of it to be used for juss scares thou but along with gettin red of acne it does make your skin really preatty and soft lookin so it mite work for scars

does your docter understand that you arent useing it for acne but to get red of the scars

are these raised scars on your nose? what area around the face?

Chest and shoulders

OKAY so as far as accutane goes im abouslty in love with it but im on it it for acne and it does a wounderful job of gettin red of it ive never herd of it to be used for juss scares thou but along with gettin red of acne it does make your skin really preatty and soft lookin so it mite work for scars

does your docter understand that you arent useing it for acne but to get red of the scars

The derm actually wants to prescribe it for acne, but tried to sell it by claiming it helps with raised scars.

homer you could try hormonal acupuncture for your acne, and im pretty sure accutane has 0% effect on scars, except giving you more from an IB and any other pimples you may have.

My active acne isn't bad at all when I'm on antibiotics (doryx right now), and even without antibiotics, I don't get a lot of new acne on my chest.

Their goal by pushing accutane is to 100% prevent all new acne from forming thus to prevent more raised scars, even though I was telling them I don't get raised scars if I medicate the acne with differin or something.

They think that I get new body acne all the time, and that they always turn into raised scars. This simply isn't true, but they didn't seem to understand that.

Anyway, I've always said no to accutane due to side effects and the blood drawing, but I would at least think about it a little more if it was true it would improve all of my scars. But again, that sounds like bullshit.