Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flutterby27

Indoor Tanning (I know, I know...)

Ok. First off, I know tanning is terrible for a TON of reasons, and I absolutely have no plans to make it a habit. I do, however, have a question about something I've heard recently and have since been considering.

Tanning dries up the surface of your skin, but ultimately makes you produce more sebum (which mixes with the dry skin and causes you to break out even more). That's obviously undesirable, even though it seems to improve conditions at first, among all the OTHER reasons that tanning is bad for you.

However... Recently I've heard that some estheticians recommend brief indoor tanning once or twice a month to prevent breakouts because in that moderation, the benefits outweigh the risks. I'd venture to guess that this is because tanning that little will dry up your skin, but it's not enough exposure to drastically alter your sebum production?

Basically... I'm dealing with a terrible break out right now because I stopped my birth control only to discover that I have PCOS. I'm now back on BC, which I know will work for my skin because it has cleared me completely in the past, but I'm looking to just speed the clearing of this breakout while I wait for the pill to start working.

I guess I'd just like some opinions on what, say, 3-5 tanning sessions will do to help/hurt my case. Is that little enough to help without hurting? I already know all about the cancer risks, but I'm not terribly sure that such a small amount of exposure for an isolated period of time concerns me. I'd more like to hear about my acne. Will it return worse from just that brief amount of time? Will it clear at all? Should I wear sunblock? COmments/questions/concerns? Thanks!

Honestly? The US Public Health Service recently listed tanning beds in the same category as cigarettes in terms of being carcinogenic. They're now considered a known human carcinogen. And you really want to go lay in one for "benefits" that may or may not exist, based on one esthetician's opinion? 3-5 sessions is still damaging. Instead of asking an esthetician, ask your derm about this and see what they say. I guarantee they'll have a different opinion.

I do understand that, and it's nothing I'm not taking into consideration. However, in the same way that smoking 3 cigarettes over the course of a life time is pretty much inconsequential, I feel that what I'm considering MAY be beneficial to me.

I used to go tanning in beds once a week or so. I went with no sunscreen or protection, in one of those stand-up microwave things for about 10-12 minutes.

I have fair skin type (I, or II) and it just destroyed my complexion... I have seriously damaged my under-eye area... and I hate it. It looks like I aged 10 years.

I will never go in a tanning bed again.

Out of desperation, I believe. Trust me. I am NO advocate for tanning. I hate the idea of it and I think it's so dumb to take just unnecessary risks with your body like that. But when you just want a problem to go away, you start bargaining with yourself, you know? It's like... ANYTHING to make this go away now and I'll deal with the repercussions when they arise. Especially when the problem you're dealing with is on your face. It's right there, every day. I swear I'm not that girl who like, worships the sun and just wants to look too brown for the season. I just can't help but wonder if the possible temporary relief it will give me is worth the possible aftermath. There it is, desperation.

Yeah, I wish that was an option, but it is definitely not sunny where I live.

Have you looked into vitamin D3?