Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright so yesterday I went to see my doctor for a follow-up appointment since I'm nearing the end of my second month on accutane. I asked her about the monthly blood tests and she basically told me that I only had to take them every three months. I've heard everyone say that you have to take them every month but she says it's not necessary at all. This kind of worries me because what if something goes wrong within that period of time?

Anyway, do you think I'll be okay if I get my blood taken every 3 months, or is my doctor totally wrong about this?

Thanks in advance :)

I can understand your dilemma. One thing you need to remember is that in the US we have a very strict prescription policy for accutane. You are not in the US so you don't fall under our ridiculous guidelines (lucky you!). If you have been testing out fine so far then I would trust the judgment of your dermatologist. Are you still checking in her her on a monthly basis? Is she keeping you at your current dosage for the next three months? If you are progressing well and your side-effects are minimal, she must think it's not necessary. Having said that, if you are not comfortable with her decision then insist on the bloodwork.

Hey, thanks for the replies! Actually, I haven't had any bloodwork done throughout my course so far, which is why I find it weird that she doesn't want me to get my blood drawn until the end of the first three months.

I'm not sure whether or not to trust her at all because she's given me quite a bit of advice that's contrary to what I've researched. For example, I asked her what kind of SPF I should use since I'll be going on vacation soon and she told me that accutane does notmake your skin any more sensitive to the sun, which is obviously not true :confused: She also told me that the acne is 100% guaranteed to come back after I'm done my course... again, not necessarily true. I'm seriously thinking about ditching her all together and continuing my course with someone who's more knowledgable about accutane.

If your dermatologist is really telling you those things, I might find a new one. Or just use that derm to get your prescription and forget about all the BS that she's giving you. As far as the blood tests go, I wouldn't worry too much. I wish I didn't have to get tested once a month, but that's the way it is here in the U.S. Someone else could probably give more info, but I think the main thing that blood test checks for is high cholesterol - which isn't really that huge of an issue to begin with as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, I think your doctor is seriously wrong about bloodtests. I'm in Canada also, you have to do a blood test every other week (for the first month) and every month for the rest of the course. Only if your blood test shows everything is normal will your dermatologist continues to prescribe you accutane. Definitely should change your dermatologist!

My dermatologist told me I have to go only once for a bloodtest. She told me to go after the second month of the course. She explained it saying recent studies have showed that if the... uh, whatever levels that are checked from the blood, haven't changed after two months they most likely won't change throughout the whole course, at least not for someone of my size. She said that it's usually bigger people with a large waist or stomach fat that might get elevated cholesterol levels. I'm on the thin side so the derm said I should have nothing to worry about.

hey there,

i got given a four month supply on one blood test, which i found very odd,but not complain as i hate the blood tests!

Thanks for all the replies, guys =) Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go with what she says and go for the blood tests every 3 months. I mean I have like ONE side effect right now.. dry lips and that's it, so I'm not too worried. Thanks again.

I'm not sure whether or not to trust her at all because she's given me quite a bit of advice that's contrary to what I've researched. For example, I asked her what kind of SPF I should use since I'll be going on vacation soon and she told me that accutane does notmake your skin any more sensitive to the sun, which is obviously not true :confused: She also told me that the acne is 100% guaranteed to come back after I'm done my course... again, not necessarily true. I'm seriously thinking about ditching her all together and continuing my course with someone who's more knowledgable about accutane.

i haven't noticed my skin any more sensitive to the sun. maybe for some people it makes you more sensitive to the sun but its definitely not everyone because i know i haven't experienced it. not sure why they say it is 100% going to come back after you are done though.

Thanks for all the replies, guys =) Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go with what she says and go for the blood tests every 3 months. I mean I have like ONE side effect right now.. dry lips and that's it, so I'm not too worried. Thanks again.

same here. only side effect i have is dry lips and after two blood tests, one before i started and another one month in, my derm said i didn't need to take a blood test every month. all i have to do is go in to get my prescription filled.

40mg is a moderate size dosage and probably worthwhile to get your blood work.

But getting the blood test is not required, just highly recommended.