Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asdfqaz

Eating a ton of fruits - good or bad for acne? Carbs bad for acne?

Hey,

After looking into evolutionary biology a bit, i'm convinced that diet is a huge cause of acne. i hypothesis that the modern diet we eat is no where near what my genes were adapted to eat (pure speculation here). I'm going to do a family tree of my Grandfathers side of the family and see where that takes me as he is the cause of my acne. Everyone on my mom's side of the family has had problems with acne and much worse in most of the boys. Only one of my male cousins has been acne free. All of my cousins on my dads side of the family were acne free.

Like many of you i've tried numerous products some ridiculously expensive and have had no results. Right now i've switched over to using exposed and we'll see how that goes. I'm going to try to be making strict changes to my diet and see what happens. Apparently a lot of people here think sugars are bad, i already eat healthy compared to most other americans, but i'm questioning if all the fruit i eat my by bad for acne. I eat at least 5 different fruits a day and usually have > 10 servings.

So is the sugar from fruits considered bad? Should i cut down on my fruits? Is the sugars from whole wheat bread considered bad?

The one thread here says to cut out a lot of carbs, don't think i could do that as i'm very active and a good portion of my diet is carbs...

I guess for me it was bad. I have cut out all forms of sugar including fuits. I try to eat less than one apple per two weeks. I've been on this diet for 3 weeks and my skin seems to be less inflammatory. I know it sucks to cut out every sweet thing.

10 servings of fruit a day is A LOT. Sugar is sugar. Although the refine sugars in most products Americans eat is going to be worse, the sugar in fruits still requires insulin and insulin triggers the hormones that lead to oily skin and thus acne. If you have a sensitivity to gluten or grains then this could be causing acne, as well. There are many people who believe that acne is "diabetes of the skin", and after cutting out most sugars, including grains, they have seen a significant improvement in their skin. There is a book out called "The Clear Skin Diet"...if you are looking for ways to help your skin through dieting, I suggest reading this book. THere are lots of good recipes, but they aren't too extreme. For example, they don't say to completely cut out carbs, just to reduce your intake of them and eat only ones that have a low Glycemic Load. I found it at Barnes and Noble, so I think it should be easy to find.

Also, I have recently gone gluten-free, no grains, no dairy...and it is a lot easier than you think. I also lead an active lifestyle and thought I would never be able to go without carbs, but I can do it. I actually find that after a couple of weeks of doing this I find myself less hungry during the day, so I have no need for breads and crackers and things like that. Good luck!

Where did you get the idea that you need to eat grains to have energy and you can't get energy elsewhere?

A lot of fruits are actually low GI and obviously contain a lot of nutrients.

I don't see where fruit would be a problem, unless you have insulin resistance. In that case, I have read that if you want to go with carbs you have to go high carb low fat.

dont forget about the trillions of bacteria that live on every inch of space on your digestive tract starting from your lips, your mouth, your throat your stomach, small intestine large intestine rectum and anus.

then consider the concept of bacterial fermentation, that should complicate things quite a bit in your mind, hehe.And the concept of good vs bad bacteria, some good bacteria make vitamins and antibiotic substances that increase your resisitance to bad bacteria, and bad bacteria make toxins when they find a home inside you, and they need food to survive some of which is the food that travels along your digestive tract.

searching through these bacterial populations, which outnumber the cells in your body, and identifying the beneficial ones(probiotics), is going to take a while.

so you might think its just as simple as sugar going straight to your intestines and being digested, but i just wanted you to realize there are tons of more variables involved here.

I used to be a big advocate of massive fruit consumption, but after reading Brenton's post, browsing Bee's website and getting on the candida diet, 95%+ of my acne has gone away in less than 2 months.

Fruits themselves (although not the extremely high sugar crossbred kind we buy at the grocery store) are full of good nutrients, but depending on your current health, they are not always a good choice.

Where did you get the idea that you need to eat grains to have energy and you can't get energy elsewhere?

Well, its more so to with how jam packed my schedule is or was but i'm in college now so i don't have the luxury to prepare all my own meals. i can eat a 2 pb sandwiches and a banana and go for a run on it in 30 minutes, or i can have a fruit smoothie + a power bar and exercise on it. back when i was home i wasn't the greatest cook, but i'd usually make animal meat 4 times a week and have pasta (very easy to make) at least once a day. from some book on nutrition for endurance atheletes they recommend a high % of the diet to be from carbs...

i wonder if they high packed sugar in our fruits are a problem... its weird when i was out of the country some of the fruits in africa tasted sweeter and much better to me. our bananas are so abnormal though. i also saw v v v few people with acne, only 1 person had severe acne and i saw 2 other people with mild acne out of thousands...

Well, its more so to with how jam packed my schedule is or was but i'm in college now so i don't have the luxury to prepare all my own meals. i can eat a 2 pb sandwiches and a banana and go for a run on it in 30 minutes, or i can have a fruit smoothie + a power bar and exercise on it. back when i was home i wasn't the greatest cook, but i'd usually make animal meat 4 times a week and have pasta (very easy to make) at least once a day. from some book on nutrition for endurance atheletes they recommend a high % of the diet to be from carbs...

i wonder if they high packed sugar in our fruits are a problem... its weird when i was out of the country some of the fruits in africa tasted sweeter and much better to me. our bananas are so abnormal though. i also saw v v v few people with acne, only 1 person had severe acne and i saw 2 other people with mild acne out of thousands...

ok, here's my input. lose the bananas, wheat and peanut butter. bananas gave me chin acne when i started putting them in my smoothies and other people have said it broke them out too. bananas are pro-inflammation food. second, wheat can be a trigger for acne (in some people) also. http://www.skintactix.com/acne_&_wheat.htm

Peanut butter has a bad ratio of omega 6 to omega 3. if you want nuts, go for almond butter instead.

ok, here's my input. lose the bananas, wheat and peanut butter. bananas gave me chin acne when i started putting them in my smoothies and other people have said it broke them out too. bananas are pro-inflammation food. second, wheat can be a trigger for acne (in some people) also. http://www.skintactix.com/acne_&_wheat.htm

Peanut butter has a bad ratio of omega 6 to omega 3. if you want nuts, go for almond butter instead.

Bananas!! This must be whats making my chin acne breakout like never before. I have been adding a banana to my green smoothies, and ever since starting the smoothies my acne on chin has gotten way worse, really inflammed. Plus this is the only place i ever get acne and have been trying to resolve for over a year now, and this is the worse its been since it broke out initially.

Guest veganwithacne

Humans and other primates in the hominidae family are natural frugivores. Most fruits are low in glycemic index with the exception of watermelons, pineapples, and bananas also have moderately high glycemic index. Fruits do have sugars, but that is not always a bad thing IMO. Fruits contain a lot of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins.

My husband is diabetic and his nutritionist says that eating fruit is great for you with the exception of those mentioned previously, even though the sugars in fruits tend to be simple and provide immediate energy. He eats a lot of cherries. He has to avoid fruit juices though as they are concentrated. The biggest problem for those following a low glycemic diet are breads, rice, etc. He has to really measure and restrict those or else it spikes his blood sugar. I believe sprouted grains are the best choice if you are not gluten intolerant.

Some people may have certain reactions to specific fruits as mentioned by previous posters.

I will also add that my husband has zero acne issues. I have seen him have like 2 pimples in 6 years. He did have mild acne as a teenager though, or so he tells me.

ok, here's my input. lose the bananas, wheat and peanut butter. bananas gave me chin acne when i started putting them in my smoothies and other people have said it broke them out too. bananas are pro-inflammation food. second, wheat can be a trigger for acne (in some people) also.

losing wheat entirely is going to be tough. i'll be giving it a try, just i mean a lot the foods i eat have wheat in them :/.

should i take it a step further and experiment with excluding all grains from my diet?

i.e. rice + corn? or are they ok to eat.

could use some help with diet suggestions as wheat + pasta use to make up two of my meals (noodles/pasta are about one of the few healthy things i can have with dinner at my dining commons at college consistently)

whats the word on diary products? seems it varies a lot in different people (guess thats standard with everything)

would anyone suggest i exclude that from diet? i hardly have any diary products besides a yogurt in a fruit smoothie, but i think i'm going to be starting to drink milk again - should i opt for organic?

ok, here's my input. lose the bananas, wheat and peanut butter. bananas gave me chin acne when i started putting them in my smoothies and other people have said it broke them out too. bananas are pro-inflammation food. second, wheat can be a trigger for acne (in some people) also.

losing wheat entirely is going to be tough. i'll be giving it a try, just i mean a lot the foods i eat have wheat in them :/.

should i take it a step further and experiment with excluding all grains from my diet?

i.e. rice + corn? or are they ok to eat.

could use some help with diet suggestions as wheat + pasta use to make up two of my meals (noodles/pasta are about one of the few healthy things i can have with dinner at my dining commons at college consistently)

whats the word on diary products? seems it varies a lot in different people (guess thats standard with everything)

would anyone suggest i exclude that from diet? i hardly have any diary products besides a yogurt in a fruit smoothie, but i think i'm going to be starting to drink milk again - should i opt for organic?

Go with brown rice. It is gluten free and makes great for pasta. I am making some tonight! :)