Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i think i have sensitive skin....in the morning i wash my face n then in the afternoon my skin gets oily..i have some redmarks from other pimples n i also have some red acne scars on my cheeks...n i still breakout...is benzoyle peroxide right for me or should i just use salicylic acid???...will the benzoyle make my red acne scars even redder?????

I think in general, bp is stronger. I use it and I have the same type of oily skin as you.

But I use 5%. I think over the counter medications scar more, in my opinon.

You should try a smaller concentration. Overall, it IS supposed to dry out your skin, so its like a no pain no gain type of thing.

SA is much gentler if you have sensitive skin, and causes less drying, less redness. Irritation isn't good for your skin, and can make acne worse. So try to stick to something your skin can tolerate.

As someone who has had acne for years and tried basically every otc, I'd say get a cleanser with salicylic acid, which is much gentler and doesn't irritate your skin as much. You may want to get a Benzoyl Peroxide 10% for spot treatment though. This combination has sometime kept my acne from getting worse, but it never really made it much better.

If you have sensitive skin, DON'T EVER USE PROACTIVE OR ACNE FREE. What people don't tell you is that proactive and Acne Free are the same thing--they both have 3 step systems of cleansers, toners and lotions and with the same percentage of benzoyl peroxide. After using otc stuff i finally ordered proactive two years ago, and it seemed like it was working at first, but then it made my breakouts even worse; the blackheads all turned into pimples, and my entire face became more red.

A week ago I ordered something new from 'cleopatra's choice'--it's an acne system that uses only natural substances, mostly minerals from the dead sea. My acne hasn't gone away--it's only been a week--but i will say that my face feels better, and the exfoliating salts definately draw out the bacteria from your skin. Lots of people who have sensitve skin have luck with adovia products. just google 'cleopatra's choice' and click on their 'acne products' button.