Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drizzler

Pesticides/Herbicides/Insecticides etc...

I eat a lot of vegetables. Many different kinds prepared many different ways. I can't afford to buy organic pretty much ever though. Is it possible that by consuming so many inorganic vegetables (and some fruits)... which by all other means should be very healthy... that I am inadvertantly consuming way too many harmful synthetic chemicals? I've read about all these pesticides/herbicides mimicking estrogen and wreaking havoc on hormones. Any thoughts?

Well, yes - so I eat organic. You've made the connections correctly, now decide a course of action. Surely there are other things in your financial life that could be curbed to accommodate?

Well not really... I am pretty tight on funds, broke ass recent college grad.

I guess the question is: Do the benefits of increased vegetable consumption (not organic) outweigh the negatives of the chemicals.

I ordered some DIM to try out and hopefully it will breakdown some of the harmful estrogenic chemicals in pesticides and such. I could be way off on that but only one way to find out right?

Well, cutting out the vegetables would not be better. Better conventional produce than none at all. I really do think that most people could appropriate the monies if they really wanted to make the change.

Cell phones, trips, nights out, movie/game rental, clothes, cosmetics, unknown supplements, etc. Are there really no areas that you could tighten?

If you really can't, then go for the conventional, try to pick insect and disease resistant produce, that way you lessen your chances of exposure.

Of course I wouldn't stop eating vegetables entirely! I eat them for health and just because I love veggies and cooking them and whatnot. I do grow some of my own veggies... right now I am up to my ears in homegrown tomatoes. I also grow a lot of fresh herbs. It is a dream of mine to one day have a huge vegetable garden and grow everything myself. Thanks for the replies.