Notifications
Clear all

Extracting Keratin Plugs/Hardened Sebum

MemberMember
(@jimmyoneshot)

Posted : 08/28/2009 9:58 am

Hi I have had a strange problem around my T-zone for quite some time where the whole area in the t-zone that has open pores (on the cheeks right by the sides of my nose, on my whole nose and down the creases leading to the sides of my mouth) is a little bit red. Every single one of these pores also seems to get filled with something I've told is a keratin plug, otherwise known as hardened sebum which appear like little tiny white/yellow grains of salt in my pores.

Somethimes I rub these out but this seems to make the area redder for some time but leaving them in also seems to make it look red. Also after I throw water on this area I get a lot of dead white skin in this area. I have been recommended Daktarin Gold to help with the redness and flaking skin but I'm wondering is there anything that will help me to remove the white things themselves without causing redness or irritation as every time I remove them by picking they start to "build up" again the very next day. I've never had acne or spots so it's a complete mystery to me.

This is the area that my problem is in (if the picture will show), except obviously my pores are bigger, redder and contain the plugs:-

168774_Full.jpg

MemberMember
(@3days)

Posted : 12/06/2009 11:42 pm

*Bump*

MemberMember
(@tjtj)

Posted : 12/29/2009 6:29 pm

hi, i have same problem,i use surgical tweezers but have been hunting for treatments,if you google keratosis pilaris,it will give you some ideas as am looking myself,and reading reviews on one to try,have seen one called bioskin relief,see what you think

MemberMember
(@adri-chan)

Posted : 01/05/2010 3:11 pm

I have some too, they are called dilated pores of winer, it sucks dick.

Here are informations I found :

Treatment

Medical Care

• No medical treatment is available for a dilated pore of Winer.

Surgical Care

• Excision of the entire lesion and closure of the resulting surgical defect are curative.
  • Superficial treatments, such as electrodesiccation, cauterization, coagulation, dermabrasion, or carbon dioxide laser surgery, are less effective because of the deeply invaginated base of a dilated pore of Winer.

From : http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1061188-treatment

MemberMember
(@sonic999)

Posted : 02/10/2010 1:18 pm

I don't think so. According to what I found here:

and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilated_pore

It's basically one open pore, which is a lot larger than other pores around it.

What jimmyoneshot describes (picture should be a lot more precise) is just the presence of white gunk in many of his pores in the T-zone area of his face. It's a bitch to clear them, you have to take a hot shower or steam your face to get them soft, then gently pick them out with a piece of cloth or cotton... or use a DIY pore strip (look em up with youtube). Cleaning your face like this at a daily basis will slowly reduce this gunk.... but you also have to wear a lotion with salicylic acid and erythromicin when you go to bed... that's what I'm using right now, and so far I'm seeing a positive change.

MemberMember
(@jimmyoneshot)

Posted : 02/24/2010 5:11 pm

I don't think so. According to what I found here:

and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilated_pore

It's basically one open pore, which is a lot larger than other pores around it.

What jimmyoneshot describes (picture should be a lot more precise) is just the presence of white gunk in many of his pores in the T-zone area of his face. It's a bitch to clear them, you have to take a hot shower or steam your face to get them soft, then gently pick them out with a piece of cloth or cotton... or use a DIY pore strip (look em up with youtube). Cleaning your face like this at a daily basis will slowly reduce this gunk.... but you also have to wear a lotion with salicylic acid and erythromicin when you go to bed... that's what I'm using right now, and so far I'm seeing a positive change.

Ye but for me the area around these things all round the t-zone seems to get red if I don't get rid of the things and leave them for a couple of days and it also gets red after me rubbing/picking them out. I don't think it's seb derm as it's just a slightly red area around the pores with white things in every pore more like hardened grains of salt than gunk. It's crazy but I've had it for 5 years now so I think it's here to stay.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 04/30/2011 7:15 am

just ondering if anyone has had luck treating this. Mine started 2ys ago and i cant get a handle on it..its so bad its all i think about...someone help me pleaseeeee

MemberMember
(@mkeagen)

Posted : 06/23/2015 9:07 pm

I have been battling the same problem for a few months now. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of these tiny bumps?

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 06/25/2015 8:11 pm

nope still battling and its 6 years now

MemberMember
(@tammywammy)

Posted : 07/10/2015 11:14 am

I feel your pain!!! This hardened sebum really felt sore for me in some places and despite trying facial scrubs etc. these plugs didn't want to shift. I shifted a few through hard scrubbing but it was really painful and left my face swollen (not worth it!). I eventually stumped up for an acne lotion with jojoba oil and manuka oil that I got online and it has been so good for my skin. It has loosened off and dissolved the sebum plugs and all the pus has been washed away. My skin is really clear now and feels soft. Even the scars have been healiing. Jojoba oil mimics your skins sebum and stops it producing as much. Jojoba oil also dissolves the sebum. Worth investigating jojoba oil further!

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 08/20/2015 11:49 am

just goes to show what works for some doesnt work for others because jojoba oil make my skin ten times worse

MemberMember
(@floridaforester)

Posted : 06/14/2017 9:19 am

Steam these and clean out the pores gently. Don't damage the skin; that would defeat the purpose of clearing up the pore plugs. Wipe skin with a pad containing a Salicylic Acid solution. These pads are available at any drugstore. Ask your pharmacist or read the labels on the plastic jars in the skin section. It has been my experience that Salicylic Acid will reduce pore size, inflamation, and oil production. This really worked great for my skin. I tried Witch Hazel, but that seemed to make more bumps on my forehead. I also found that working up a good sweat pushes out the little hard plugs. Just make sure you are wiping off the sweat and plugs with a clean wet cloth.