Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thekakistocracy

16 y/o, first post. Scarred and Scared; needs accutane like a junkie needs a hit.

Shalom good people. No, I'm not Jewish, I just like saying shalom.

I've been suffering for acne since grade 8. I'll be going into grade 12 right now, and I'm 16 y/o, and my face looks like a fucking mosh pit. Oh, and I skipped a grade and fast forwarded a couple of courses, so yeah, don't read too much into the grd 12 and 16 thing. Anyways, I've sacrificed my high school years by chilling with the stoners. I've always been complacent, never happy and the acne is the root cause. I apologize for not showing pictures, my self esteem is in the gutter.

Anyways, Accutane seems to be the big start all end all acne panacea around here. UNfortunately, I have some issues that are indirectly linked to me with my acne on. I'll be going into grade 12, and from the photos I've seen, I'm guesssing that it will take my acne a year to clear up. BUT, my parents are uber-conservative immigrant Indians. They see no reason why a male child should worry about his appearance and they fuss enough when I try to persuade them to buy some OTC Neutrogena products that suck a big one.

My bank acc:- 50 bucks.

I'm Canadian, so I don't have insurance.

Q1. How much would Roaccutane cost in Canada?

Q2. Does my family doctor have to recommend me to a dermatologist or would she be able to be me on Roaccutane directly?

Q3. Are minors allowed to pick up prescription meds WITH a prescription of course?

As you can tell from the questions, I plan to go about doing the whole thing behind my parents' backs. I really don't want acne going into university. As is, I think twice about going out.

I am certain that I have absolutely no triggers. I don't stuff my face with processed lard, and it's definitely not the pot. I started smoking to get away from it.

I can't address your questions since I'm not from Canada, but have you tried sitting down with your parents and discussing your situation? Acne is a medical condition, and should be treated as such. Maybe show them acne.org and talk about how your skin makes you feel - I really think your parents should be on your side for this one, especially if you're considering Accutane.

If this isn't a feasible option, I'd say go to your family doctor, talk about your acne and ask for a dermatologist that prescribes Accutane. If you've never seen a dermatologist, he/she may want to prescribe a few things first to see if they improve your skin first.

In my experience, Accutane has been life changing. I waited til AFTER college to look into Accutane and realize I could have saved a lot of years of frustration and low self esteem. But seeing a dermatologist is the first step - I haven't seen pictures, but maybe there's something less severe that can help you out.

Best of luck.

Shalom good people. No, I'm not Jewish, I just like saying shalom.

I've been suffering for acne since grade 8. I'll be going into grade 12 right now, and I'm 16 y/o, and my face looks like a fucking mosh pit. Oh, and I skipped a grade and fast forwarded a couple of courses, so yeah, don't read too much into the grd 12 and 16 thing. Anyways, I've sacrificed my high school years by chilling with the stoners. I've always been complacent, never happy and the acne is the root cause. I apologize for not showing pictures, my self esteem is in the gutter.

Anyways, Accutane seems to be the big start all end all acne panacea around here. UNfortunately, I have some issues that are indirectly linked to me with my acne on. I'll be going into grade 12, and from the photos I've seen, I'm guesssing that it will take my acne a year to clear up. BUT, my parents are uber-conservative immigrant Indians. They see no reason why a male child should worry about his appearance and they fuss enough when I try to persuade them to buy some OTC Neutrogena products that suck a big one.

My bank acc:- 50 bucks.

I'm Canadian, so I don't have insurance.

Q1. How much would Roaccutane cost in Canada?

Q2. Does my family doctor have to recommend me to a dermatologist or would she be able to be me on Roaccutane directly?

Q3. Are minors allowed to pick up prescription meds WITH a prescription of course?

As you can tell from the questions, I plan to go about doing the whole thing behind my parents' backs. I really don't want acne going into university. As is, I think twice about going out.

I am certain that I have absolutely no triggers. I don't stuff my face with processed lard, and it's definitely not the pot. I started smoking to get away from it.