Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how does everyone overcome depression?

Acne and skin in general pisses me off!

I get soo low and depressed, and my only escape is drinking.....i know its bad but it makes me forget and feel free!

how can i beat this?

help me please

how does everyone overcome depression?

Acne and skin in general pisses me off!

I get soo low and depressed, and my only escape is drinking.....i know its bad but it makes me forget and feel free!

how can i beat this?

help me please

Well, drinking makes it worse..... and it wont solve the problem! Go to the gym and exercise! Try not to think about acne while exercising. And eat healthy. :)

Hello, this is your friendly friend Curtiz. I present to you a smiling face and tell you that hey, its not so bad. Everything will be alright. :boohoo: I'm still your friend :D Have some magical topical cream.

fuck that...

Yo, Curtiz here, and I'm about to make you stop being depressed. Seriously man, you got acne, so does fucking everyone here on this forum, myself included. Ok.. issue one solved, now about your depression...

I worked at a summer camp of inner city kids. Some of these kids got nothing going for them, parents gone, foster homes are terrible, school can be tough. Shit, and they smile so brightly cuz they get the attention from counsellors and they get an extra 5 minutes to play in the park. They have clear faces....

Im not gonna even get started on the homeless people, people in third world countries. Its a big world, everyones got fucking problems, acne goes away eventually. Not here to downplay depression, cuz I was feeling this way too once, everyone does. But you need a good slap and look at reality : do you realize how lucky you are to be who you are, acne and all?

Life can be tough, lets suck it up and enjoy it alright?

Hello, this is your friendly friend Curtiz. I present to you a smiling face and tell you that hey, its not so bad. Everything will be alright. :boohoo: I'm still your friend :D Have some magical topical cream.

fuck that...

Yo, Curtiz here, and I'm about to make you stop being depressed. Seriously man, you got acne, so does fucking everyone here on this forum, myself included. Ok.. issue one solved, now about your depression...

I worked at a summer camp of inner city kids. Some of these kids got nothing going for them, parents gone, foster homes are terrible, school can be tough. Shit, and they smile so brightly cuz they get the attention from counsellors and they get an extra 5 minutes to play in the park. They have clear faces....

Im not gonna even get started on the homeless people, people in third world countries. Its a big world, everyones got fucking problems, acne goes away eventually. Not here to downplay depression, cuz I was feeling this way too once, everyone does. But you need a good slap and look at reality : do you realize how lucky you are to be who you are, acne and all?

Life can be tough, lets suck it up and enjoy it alright?

suck cock and enjoy that, alright?

If you really have depression where your mind wanders to dark places, you should seek help as soon as possible. I'm not saying you should consult a doctor, although that would be the best solution. But you should at least talk to someone. Sometimes all you need is someone to tell you that everything is going to be okay. Happiness is a state of mind. If you truly believe that you are responsible for your own happiness, then it will be granted to you. Don't wait until your acne is better to become happy. You can be happy now. It sounds like total bullshit because it's so simple, but sometimes we over complicate things. I've been through cycles of depression and I know what it's like. I always felt like I was never good enough. That acne made sure I would never be good enough. Then one day, someone told me that it was all in my head. And that pretty much changed my life forever.

And I agree with going to the gym. Focusing on getting fit will not only improve your confidence but it will keep your mind on something positive.

PM me if you feel like talking.

This is very unhealthy behavior and you may want to consider some type of counseling. Drinking is not going to make the acne go away and could in fact make it worse. None of us here want acne, but the key is to realize that acne doesn't (shouldn't) define who you are as a person.

One way to get out of depression is to take a look at your surroundings and realize how much you have to be grateful for.

I mean if you are posting on this forum you must have a computer, electricity, eyesight, a perfectly functioning brain, shelter, 2 hands, the ability to read and write etc. etc. etc.

You may take those things for granted but remember there are people out there in the world that don't have the above-mentioned things and would gladly accept your acne to trade places with you.

K

There are ways to treat depression on your own at home. You can make lifestyle changes in your diet. You could start exercising to relieve stress. You can share your feelings with family so they can give you the proper support. Writing your feelings down in a journal can also be very therapeutic. Think about trying some mediation and relaxing techniques. Meditation can bring you inner peace, but you'll have to be committed to it.

Drinking is not the right way to handle your depression. If those methods above don't help, then I suggest you look into speaking to a psychiatrist or a counselor. Your doctor may be able to prescribe an antidepressant based on your symptoms. Don't be shy about sharing your feelings. Depression is a serious problem, and you need to find a way to release these feelings instead of suppressing them.

The best way to overcome this is to find out exactly why you're depressed, is it because of your skin? Relationships? Your job? A combination of things? Once you've found the root cause then you can start working at finding a solution, it is difficult at times but trust me you'll feel happier when you do and life won't seem so bad anymore.

I used to drink a lot to ease my depression too, it didn't make life any better but atleast I didn't care so much, sometimes I do really miss the feeling of being able to drink and forget about everything.

It's a slippery slope though (cliche I know but it's so easy to enter the steady decline) I started off just drinking at the weekends with friends and going to the pub, i'd drink too much and end up feeling sick, it was often my friends who would make sure I got home ok.

If my friends couldn't make it or if they didn't want to drink with me (which was the case for a while) then I would go out drinking by myself. Most normal people would not go out and drink by themselves but I didn't see anything wrong with it, I just wanted to get drunk and wasn't going to let other people stop my fun. I would act like a complete dick to other people around me (I would hit on every girl that walked past, regardless of whether they had a boyfriend or even if I found them attractive or not - this resulted in several one night stands with what I can only describe as ogre looking beasts of women).

Other times I would stumble out drunk and fall asleep in the road or start looking for a fight because I was angry, since I didn't have anyone looking out for me this resulted in a few trips to the hospital and occasionally an encounter with the police. Again, to a normal person this would be a wake up call that things need to change, though at the time I thought I was really cool and put all the paramedic and police reports on my wall as trophies and posting all the pictures of me in a hospital bed on facebook.

Then once I couldn't afford to go out and drink anymore I started to drink at home, I would buy the cheapest bottles of wine and drink them alone in my room, at this point I was drinking every evening.

Then once I realised that coming home and getting drunk was the highlight of my day I figured "Hey, why don't I drink for breakfast?" and so I did.

I would wake up and finish off whatever stale piss flavoured wine I failed to drink the night before (taste wasn't a major concern at this point) and walk to the bus stop. I would buy a bottle of Jack Daniels and mix it with a bottle of coke and down it on the bus ride to work - so now I was getting drunk before work.

After a few days I found myself feeling like absolute shit around lunchtime (just enough time for the alcohol to start wearing off) and so I thought "Well, we've got the mornings and the evenings covered, why not start drinking during the day?" and so I started drinking on my lunch as well, I would walk to the nearest park on my own and start drinking there like a tramp. If I needed a top up during the day I would slip some JD into my coffee and drink it at my desk, a few of my colleagues noticed but never said anything - just aswell as i'd probably be out of a job by now.

This continued for a while, I was spending roughly £30 a day just on alcohol, this meant I never had any money for new clothes or to go places or to fix or replace things if they broke. Once the money run out I started to sell possessions that i'd cherished for years but were now nothing more than a way to get my next drink.

It goes on for a while longer but I think you get the jist, it really is easy to let everything slip away if you use a crutch like alcohol, I wish I spent my time figuring out why I was so unhappy instead of just drinking to forget it.

I drink rarely now (stomach can't handle it very well) and so I now have a marijuana habit instead, I also have no money and there are credit collectors fisting my arse asking where their money is.

Moral of the story: Don't get acne.

Thanks for telling that story Calibos. You should probably change the moral of the story though, considering the fact that we really can't control the fact that we have bad skin...I'm assuming..

I'm actually battling a little depression right now, privately. One thing that helps me is forcing myself to be more outgoing. Instead of people seeing me as the girl with bad skin who just sits there, they can see me as the girl whose optimistic, nice, and funny. The more I think about it the more I realize I only really notice acne as a first impression type thing, once I get to know someone I'll see them for who they really are. If I do that with other people, I believe other people do that with me.

hey,

why dont you try working out/exercise, gym, sport. Anything physical. After doing gym, I feel mentally good. One time, I was having breakouts and I was not really motivated to go uni.

I went to the gym, and had a workout and after that I felt more mentally strong (made me feel like, i dont really have a lot of pimples) and went to uni in the end.

There is no beating depression. But you can control it.

First of, don't lie to yourself.

Then follow these reminders.

-Don't cheat and drink, smoke, inject, etc.

-Don't make the same mistakes again and again.

-Know that depression is useless if you don't learn from it.

-Be hopeful that when you do learn, you will be closer to control.

-control your emotions, this is a hard one, I don't mean it literally, but there is a way it can be done, its more like an endless cycle of using some to benefit you and using others to take over you for just long enough to get what you want. As always, be moral =)

I'm sure I missed atleast 5000 more reminders, but these should help =0

i honestly dont know how to not be depressed if u have acne because i know for me its on my mind alll the time and somedays im happy somedays im not ..and im at the point now where my body is just exhausted from being depressed..so the best thing i can say is dont give up please dont give up

It's difficult, yeah. It's hard not to feel depressed when everyday you see your skin either getting worse or making no improvement. It makes you angry too, it isn't fair and there is nothing you can do to make it any better, which is exactly why you shouldn't worry about it.

Easier said than done but what other choice do you have, are you just going to hole up in your room all the time? Are you just going to let every good opportunity pass you by because of your skin? Are you going to listen to the ignorant masses who seem to think you choose to look the way you do? Or are you going to stand up and say "Fuck you! I'm better than that!".

I'm probably a little older than some of you so consider my words to be those of a wiser more worldly being, don't let life pass you by.

I let my acne control me, I didn't go out as much as I wanted to; I missed parties galore and spent my evenings alone talking on a computer. My good and bad days were determined by how many spots I had, and for all that I tried to avoid what did I get out of it? Absolute fuck all, that's what.

My life was a complete waste from ages 13-17. I wasted the best years of my life because I was too self conscious about what people, who didn't mean shit, thought of me. I wasted the years in which I had no responsibilities whatsoever by feeling sorry for myself, i'm never going to have that luxury again - from here on now until I die I have to be responsible, and it's only going to get more intense as I get older and start a family.

Yeah acne sucks, it sucks a lot, it's completely unfair that we're given this burden to carry for any number of years just because our genes are different to, seemingly, everybody else.

Think about this for a second, why is acne so damaging to you? Is it because you feel ugly? Is it because it alienates you? Is it because it's physically and emotionally painful?

If your acne holds you back from finding a girlfriend or boyfriend then you should be thankful, now is the time that you should be carving yourself into who you want to be. A relationship at 15 seems like a great idea at the time, maybe you're only after one because you want to lose your virginity (first time is terrible anyway) or maybe you just want one because you're lonely. This is why you have friends, your partner is only going to be around for as long as it's good for them, your friends are around for you - good ones are anyway.

I'm going all over the place here so i'll try and wrap things up. If you didn't read all that then that's fine, but DO read what i'm about to say.

1. You are NOT as ugly as you think you are.

2. Your life has as much purpose as you allow it to have, you can do ANYTHING you want if you work for it.

3. The only opinion that matters is your own. Accept compliments and ignore hate.

4. You're only young once, and you will spend the rest of your life trying to get it back.

5. Before you love another person you need to love yourself.

6. Someone is always better off than you, someone else is always worse - which is why you should never compare your life to another.

7. There are only 2 ways to make yourself happier: Either lower your expectations or improve your reality.