Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yoym

Do you avoid swimming and going to the beach because of your body acne/scars?

Uggh because of the marks on my chest, back, and shoulders for the past few years Ive used every excuse to not get into a jacuzzi. 'I cant swim' was even one them. A month ago me and my friends were invited to a hot tub party by some girls we met at a concert. I declined. Long story short it ended up being a topless party with a dozen naked 18-23 year old girls:(

Ive 'postponed' a trip to mexico with friends, and even a trip to asia to visit family because I know Ill end up at the beach swimming and Ill be forced to take off my shirt. And honestly if it doesnt get any better I probably wont be going next year either. There goes another summer.

Even little things, I was playing basketball the other day and I felt brave and decided to wear a sleeveless shirt under a jersey. A friend commented on how I must be using steroids because of the marks on my shoulder.. and that was only the shoulder...

Oh well another 9 months till summer. Hopefully I get some changes by then.

I don't avoid it, but I feel pretty uncomfortable doing it. It sucks going swimming and seeing all these people with smooth flawless backs. One time my sister (who probably hadn't seen the scars before) was shocked and thought I had gotten major sun blisters. Whenever I ask people how bad it is they say "it's nothing, unnoticable".. yeah right. :shifty:

marks on shoulder = steroid use? how did your friend come to that conclusion, if anything, he should have commented on your physique. anyways, to answer your question, no.

You've blown too many opportunities. It's time to go on the trip to Mexico with your friends. It's time to go to Asia to visit family because family is all you really have. You don't have to swim. If you're forced to swim, take off your shirt and say you had a breakout on your back. It's not like your family and friends are going to shun you over a breakout.

I totally understand how u feel, because this is what I'm going through exactly~ I haven't go to swim for like 4 to 5 years, because of all those breakouts, I've been wanting to wear tank tops for ages but I just can't because my chest and back look and feel really horrible.

whenever my friends ask me to swim, I simply tell them I don't like swimming, and I'll just sit beside the pool or on the beach to chat with other friends who also don't like swimming...and u can actually do lots of things on the beach apart from swimming, so I dun think think u need to postpone your trip, just enjoy your life and have a good time...don't let acne ruin you!

Yeah, I'm also hoping that I could get rid these body acne before next summer, hope u can get rid of them very soon too, I'll pray for u~

I used to be like you and not want to go swimming or not even wearing singlets if it showed the acne on my back. But I honestly have let go of that, I just do not care anymore. This summer I went swimming almost every day and I actually feel totally comfortable in a bikini now, so what if you have acne? I have even found that the acne has cleared up alot after going swimming so much, probably because I have given my skin more room to "breathe" and get fresh air.

Don't let acne ruin your life. In reality all it is is spots, and I am definately not going to let some spots, or even a billion spots ruin my life and stop me from having fun! :D

And also, most people do not notice it too much. A couple of years ago when I had worse acne a girl told me she thought all my "freckles" were so cute! I just about hugged her! :dance:

I can totally relate to everything you guys are going to since I have the same problem. If becomes like a sport to keep the shirt on in every occasion. I know it sounds patethic, but once I even pretended to almost faint to avoid taking my shirt off.

I was on my schools swim team. Currently I surf or swim everyday. At first it was hard to actually take off my shirt and what not, but now it does not bother me most of the time. Sometimes I'll have an inflamed one on my chest and think twice, but I still go. :)

Going swimming was the best thing I have ever done for my acne.

I never swim in a swimming pool because the chlorine will break me out like crazy. But in the rivers and ocean I always wear a shirt on. I remember this one kid at school who had severe acne that turned into severe scarring, and he had awful scarring across his entire back (literally the whole thing was covered in scars), large dark spots all across his chest, and deep, white scarring all over his upper arms and shoulders. I felt sorry for him but at the same time wish I had the guts to just take off my shirt like he did despite his horrible skin.