Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys and girls.

Have any of you guys used neosporin (first aid anti-biotic) as a spot treatment? I have this big pimple and I put neosporin on it a few hours ago and I think I can already see a reduction in inflammation. I'll let you know how this plays out. Please tell me if you've tried this before and what your experience is or if you have any other comments.

They contain a lot of oils which can clog pores so it's not recommended.

Though a good way to use it is applying after a pimple has been poped and washed.

I live in the UK so had to order my Neosporin off the net last week, I have a blister like pimple next to my nose, on my cheek, I put Neosporin on and a plaster over it and left it on over night, I woke this morning to find the watery gunk was coming out, I washed my face and have put some more Neosporin on and left it uncovered, it seems to be drying up and reducing slightly, am hoping the redness goes right down too, I have plans this week :pray:

Let me know how you get on please :)

Its working for you then, thats great!

not sure its really worked on mine.. it was a blister type watery one, made the skin on the top dry up which was good but went a greeny colour :wall: its made the skin around the edge a little dry but its going down..

i have tried this and it worked better when i used it over a scab from a pimple. i remember it working quickly and it didn't leave a scar, which is usually the opposite of what happens to me.

Though a good way to use it is applying after a pimple has been poped and washed.

Neosporin cream is not comedogenic. Neosporin ointment is, but only because of one of its filler ingredients, not the petroleum jelly.

Neosporin is also more likely to cause reactions.

Polysporin is what I used.

Neosporin cream is not comedogenic. Neosporin ointment is, but only because of one of its filler ingredients, not the petroleum jelly.

What is the filler ingredient in neosporin that is comedogenic? Thanks Wynne.

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

And:

I use polysporin. If someone's going to be allergic to one of the antibiotic creams/ointments, the neosporin is most likely to cause an allergy.

Also, the Neosporin ointment contains cocoa butter; that's comedogenic for some. It ranks high on many lists of comedogenicity. The cream does not have cocoa butter. Polysporin ointment ONLY contains the antibiotics and petrolatum jelly.

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

And:

I use polysporin. If someone's going to be allergic to one of the antibiotic creams/ointments, the neosporin is most likely to cause an allergy.

Also, the Neosporin ointment contains cocoa butter; that's comedogenic for some. It ranks high on many lists of comedogenicity. The cream does not have cocoa butter. Polysporin ointment ONLY contains the antibiotics and petrolatum jelly.

Thanks Wynne