Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I think I might have pcos. I can't really say how regular my periods were before I got on birth control a few months ago because I wasn't ever keeping track of it. I remember a few times though, thinking I haven't had it in a while. Also my blood sugar is a little high. Ve had it tested fasting 3 times and t was 103/78/98. Then I did it 2 hrs after eatng and it was 114. I know that's not diabetic but it's getting close to prediabetic or insulin resistance. The main symptom I hav though is this cystic acne that I get on my chin around my mouth and jawline really bad before Nd during my period. So I am going to see my gyno on Thursday and I'm just wondering whY kinds f tests do they do and if thy are testing my hormones than what about the fact that I'm on birth control. Will that mess up the test results. ? I guess I should mention I'm on accutane for 3 months and m skin is geting way better but I'm still breaking out bad before my period. ThAt's why I'm so concerned about if I have pcos because I feel like if I do the acne will come back when I get off tane. I'm fine with going on spiro after tane if that's what I need to do. I just wanna find o

ut what's goin on.

Thoughts. Comments. Suggestions?

i was just diagnosed with it today. well, she told me "i'm almost positive you have pcos" but she's going to do an ultrasound in a few weeks to check it out. she also took some blood to get my hormone levels checked.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about six months ago. There are a few things they might do to test for PCOS:

Pelvic exam to feel for "cysts"

Ultrasound to look for "cysts"

(Not really cysts, but follicles containing eggs that do not burst as they are supposed to)

Blood tests

Absence of cysts in an ultrasound or pelvic exam doesn't mean you don't have PCOS, since they will come and go. Also, having cysts doesn't necessarily mean you have PCOS, since they can be caused by other things... which is why an ultrasound is necessary if cysts are discovered in a pelvic exam. The doctor will look over all the data to determine if you have PCOS.

If you do have PCOS, they will then likely give you some supplements (such as d-chiro-inositol and vitex (chaseberry)), which might also help with the hormonal breakouts.

Spiro seems to be great for those of us with PCOS, so if accutane doesn't clear up your hormonal breakouts, I would at least ask your doctor about it.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about six months ago. There are a few things they might do to test for PCOS:

Pelvic exam to feel for "cysts"

Ultrasound to look for "cysts"

(Not really cysts, but follicles containing eggs that do not burst as they are supposed to)

Blood tests

Absence of cysts in an ultrasound or pelvic exam doesn't mean you don't have PCOS, since they will come and go. Also, having cysts doesn't necessarily mean you have PCOS, since they can be caused by other things... which is why an ultrasound is necessary if cysts are discovered in a pelvic exam. The doctor will look over all the data to determine if you have PCOS.

If you do have PCOS, they will then likely give you some supplements (such as d-chiro-inositol and vitex (chaseberry)), which might also help with the hormonal breakouts.

SSS

Spiro seems to be great for those of us with PCOS, so if accutane doesn't clear up your hormonal breakouts, I would at least ask your doctor about it

hmmm well I had a papsmear done a few weeks ago just for my yearly physical nwoukd the dr of had to be specifically feeling for cysts? I didn't tell her n e thing Bout thinking I had it. All she said was nohing came back abnormal. I wonder how this us gonna go down because like u said u really never kept track of my periods so I dot know how abnormal they are. I just hope idont have it. I don't need another thin to worry about.

Oh. How High is your blood sugar usually. It seems like insulin resistance us a big part of pcos?

I dont think you blood test would come out accurate since you are on Bcp.which brand are using right now?

the tests you should ask for are

LH and FSH

PROGESTERONE,

ESTRADIOL

TESTOSTERONE

DHEAS

PROLACTIN

the best time for your blood test is on the 3rd day ofyou cycle.the main thing with pcos is ratio of LH to FSH which has to be1:1

all I can say is that these blood tests are useless I have done bout 6 times nothing showed up.

I have some excess hair but it's not that much.before the test my Endo saw me and she was so confident that I have PCOS however I was on Bcp for 3 months before I went for blood test,she saw my blood test result and she confirmed I dont have PCOS.anyway its been 5 months I'moff the pill I had severe side effects form them and my acne got worse it was all over my body.

I'm an acne sufferer since 13years since puberty I was on 2 course of Accutane but acen came back after 1 year so kind of wasmaintenance dose 20mg every 3 weeks and I was fine for the past 10 years.

stupid doctors kept telling me how bad it is and I have to stop it.....so here I'm my acne has changed now thanksto BCP I have cystic acne and now all the Derms agreed to put me on Acuttane again however since I stopped my maintenance dose over 8 months ago Ihave to start all over again means 6 months of hardcore 40mg a day.

I'm on it for almost a month and I'msoworried since its doing nothing for these cystic acne.

you may want to talk to your doctor if accutane has done nothing for you cysts

Spiro is another option but I'm affraid myhair would fall out since itwill affect your hair for the first couple of months.

Shellbell, your gyno will not need to be checking specifically for cysts, as they should feel them during a normal pelvic exam (even if they're small, as mine were).

Insulin resistance can be related to PCOS, though not all women with PCOS have insulin resistance ;). This is a pretty confusing disease, but it is essentially a hormonal disorder, of which there are many possible symptoms and many possible causes. Often if you just have several of the "normal PCOS symptoms," you will be diagnosed with it... insulin resistance, acne, enlarged ovaries (can be seen in ultrasound), cystic ovaries, hirsutism (excessive hair growth in women...body or facial hair), irregular periods, infertility, and various hormone imbalances (usually excess androgens AKA male hormones) are common symptoms... but there are others as well!

The symptoms will be different for each person, so treatment really depends on your specific symptoms. Based on my blood tests (which were NOT useless), the fact that my period was irregular, and the result of my ultrasound, my doctor gave me d-chiro-inositol and vitex... I ended up on spiro (an androgen blocker) because I was breaking out with cystic acne around my period, which was really driving me nuts!

D-chiro-inositol helps with insulin resistance, and reduces testosterone levels.

Vitex is known for helping with acne caused by PCOS... It helps with the progesterone/ estrogen imbalance common to PCOS (estrogen dominance). It increases LH and decreases FSH, which alters progesterone/ estrogen balance to increase progesterone... this can also help you menstruate regularly, and can help with infertility caused by PCOS.

I now get regular periods since starting these supplements, but so far vitex hasn't helped with my acne..... but then again I started spiro and tretinoin soon after starting vitex, so I was also hit with the IB from the retinoid. Maybe once the tretinoin is working well, I'll stop the spiro and see if these supplements can keep my skin clear before my period.

Anyway.... miss62, most people do not have their hair fall out while on spiro. It can be used to treat hirsutism, but it generally takes at least three months to see results in that area... So I'm not sure you should be too worried about losing your hair on spiro. HOWEVER, Spiro is only effective if excess androgens are the cause of your acne. The early effects usually noticed with spiro in regards to hair are a decrease in oiliness ;)

I was told I had PCOS. I had all the bloodwork and guess what? It was perfectly normal. My doc insisted I had it anyway, which was annoying. This is the new trendy disorder that "everyone" has now. Such BS. Not saying you guys don't have it, but be wary of people saying you do when you don't.

I have endo and I had 1 ovarian cyst. I am skinny with regular periods. However, I do have some sort of hormonal imbalance since I have endo and acne, but it is not PCOS.

Edited by Anti - Em