Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muffy

Accutane and Milk Thistle

Hi all

Was on 25mg a day of Accutane, am 55kg. I had my blood test after 4 weeks and they came back abnormal so I have been told to stop immediately and go for another blood test in a weeks time so they can decide what to do. Either I can't take it any more ( shit...what other options are there, I have tried everything else over last 6 months - basically I am 32 if just came out of nowhere! ) Or they will put me on tiny dose which will take alot longer.

Question:

1.Can you Take Milk Thistle with Accutane? To calm down my liver enzymes? Have looked all over the net and there is no answer.Thinking I could take it for a week and it may help on next blood test.

2. Does a very low dose work on Moderate / Severe acne - how long does it take?

3. What are the options if I cannot carry on with it?

Any help great appreciated.

Hi, Muffy. If your test came back abnormal I wouldn't take anything that could further alter results without first consulting your doctor.

Hi, Muffy. If your test came back abnormal I wouldn't take anything that could further alter results without first consulting your doctor.

thanks, did you ever get back any bad blood test results? I have been looking at low dosage posts and there are not great feedback on them but I think it will either be a very low dosage or nothing for me. How much did you take when you were on it?

My test results were normal. Triglyceride levels did increase, but not much. I was on 60mg.

I'm on third course of accutane right now I'm on 30mg

but my Dr want toup mydose to 40 since I'm 50kg.I'm taking milk thistle right now,

I never had problem with accutane before soI'm hoping this time wouldbe the same.

I'm going for blood test the end of Aug I will let you know how it goes.but as far as I know milk thistle is good.

I agree with Siava for now dont do anything,do not drink alcohol or red meat,greasy food or fastfood

stay on helthy diet lots of veggie except for those which high in vitamin A carrots ,kale,....

letus know how you are doing

I'm on third course of accutane right now I'm on 30mg

but my Dr want toup mydose to 40 since I'm 50kg.I'm taking milk thistle right now,

I never had problem with accutane before soI'm hoping this time wouldbe the same.

I'm going for blood test the end of Aug I will let you know how it goes.but as far as I know milk thistle is good.

I agree with Siava for now dont do anything,do not drink alcohol or red meat,greasy food or fastfood

stay on helthy diet lots of veggie except for those which high in vitamin A carrots ,kale,....

letus know how you are doing

I am keeping everything crossed for the blood test on Thursday, not sure what I will do if I can't take it any more. I stopped drinking as soon as I went on it 5 weeks ago and do have a very good diet, although I have been making myself feel very guilty as I have been comfort eating ice cream which I never normally would do. Better cut that right out this week! will let you know how it goes!

forgot to mention

do not simple sugar

ice cream,cakes,cream,sugar.....

this would make your cholesterol to go up.

drink 10 glass of water and makesure u take it with food

my numbers have dropped since starting accutane... :lol:

the first blood test i took before i started accutane my cholesterol was 143 and my liver enzymes were slightly high. i did go to TGIFridays the night before with some friends and ate an appetizer prolly a little later than i should have and i also smoked a cigar too so that prolly didn't help the liver enzymes (prolly shouldn't do that period but oh well :lol: ). this last test though after a month on accutane my liver enzymes came back to normal and my cholesterol dropped a TON to 107.

my best suggestion to make your numbers drop quickly would be too increase your fasting time. it sucks but maybe go 15 hours instead of 12 and eat light the entire day before the test even before the time you stop eating totally. NO BIG MEAL RIGHT BEFORE YOU START TO FAST!

Thanks very much I will def do that. Funny thing is that even though I feels pants my skin has not been this good for 6 months, and thats only after 4 weeks of it, I had no idea it would work so fast! Hopefully if I can have a smaller dose it will keep on improving.