Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
edgrolvr

Glycolic acid and Omega fatty acids - my skin looks great!!!

For 2 months I've had clear skin, which hasn't happened since puberty. I'm 37 and at this point had mild acne with an occasional cyst (maybe once every couple of months). This is what I've been doing:

1) 10% Glycolic Acid cream:

At night after washing and drying my face (I use either Cetaphil or a fantastic all

natural lemongrass/sugar cleanser), I apply the 10% Glycolic acid cream. Mine is Reviva

brand, but I don't think the brand matters. The glycolic acid works by sloughing off the dead

skin cells that clog the pores, and this is what has made the biggest change in my skin. I

know it clears my pores because I have no blackheads whatsoever, and I always had

some on my nose before starting to use the cream. I've tried many exfoliaters, and some

were okay, but none of them worked like this. There is some mild stinging after applying the

cream, but nothing major, and I have pretty sensitive skin.

2) Omega fatty acids:

I've increased the amount of omega fatty acids in my diet. I'm vegetarian, so I don't take

fish oil capsules, which are good for non-vegetarians. Every day I put 4 tablespoons of hemp

powder (from Whole Foods market) in some yoghurt, a smoothie, etc., which, by the way, is

a complete protein even though it's plant based. There's a lot of info about the benefit of

omega fatty acids for the skin here in these forums, so just do a search if you're interested.

And even if it doesn't improve your acne, it's super healthy otherwise. :)

3) Cutting out a lot of sugar in my diet:

I put this last because I don't know if this gets any credit for my clear skin, but just in

case...:) ... I do put sugar in my coffee in the morning, but after that, I don't eat much more

sugar than that. I don't drink any soda, which I was doing before this.

So that's it. I know we all break out for different reasons, but maybe just keeping the skin exfoliated to keep the pores clear is a big help for some people. It's working for me. If I start breaking out again, I'll be sure to post and let everyone know.

Interesting, i might have to try this.

Did you get it off line, and do you just keep it on your face over night?

I live in Florida and bought mine at Whole Foods (organic/natural/health food market). I can't remember how much I paid. It wasn't cheap nor was it super expensive, and it lasts a while.

After I wash and dry my face at night, I put it on and leave it on overnight, wash it off in the morning with Cetaphil or some other cleanser. If you have super sensitive skin you may want to only use it every other day until your skin gets used to it, but I just dove right in and applied it every night.

Every couple of days, my skin is a little flaky after I wash and dry it (this has always been a problem for me, dry skin), so I use the tape method to remove the dead flaky skin as needed. (Just get some clear packaging tape, press it against the skin, remove it... the dead skin sticks to the tape.)

I hope it works for you. :)

Update: Still 100% free of acne

FYI: I have been faithfully using the 10% glycolic acid nightly, have been putting the fatty acid hemp powder in my food almost daily, and have had a little bit of sugary junk food this month, but not much.

Hiya, You must be sooo relieved and elated that it's finally over for you! : )

I'm using a glycolic cleanser, but it's not as strong as yours. It's by Mario Badescu and it doesn't state the strength, but the glycolic is listed midway down in the ingredients list.

Had you tried Mandelic Acid? I'm using that currently but not seen any changes yet. The plan is, to finish off my current products ( so I haven't wasted my money and to give them a fair trial ) and if I still have spots, go to the beautician for a consultation and start using their recommended cosmecuticals along with peels.

I'm female, 33 yrs, so mine is def hormone related as it's always on my chin area. I'm awaiting blood results that tested for testosterone levels.

Also, omegas haven't made a difference to my skin ( I supplement with cod liver oil and flaxseed oil ) but I've taken them for ages for general health benefits anyway.

Ive been using a lotion with 8%glycolic and 2% lactic acid morning and night for 4 weeks now and am very happy with it:) I actually went without makeup for the first time today(just for a walk around the block so i knew no one would see me but still :D ) Its getting rid of my whiteheads and fading my red marks. Hasnt done much for my blackheads but they do say you see max results at 3 months so im hoping.

Going to try and add omega3 to my diet soon, though cutting down on carbs isnt really an option because for me. Im excited to see my skin at 2 months now - good to hear from someone whose had success with aha's!

Hiya, You must be sooo relieved and elated that it's finally over for you! : )

I'm using a glycolic cleanser, but it's not as strong as yours. It's by Mario Badescu and it doesn't state the strength, but the glycolic is listed midway down in the ingredients list.

Had you tried Mandelic Acid? I'm using that currently but not seen any changes yet. The plan is, to finish off my current products ( so I haven't wasted my money and to give them a fair trial ) and if I still have spots, go to the beautician for a consultation and start using their recommended cosmecuticals along with peels.

I'm female, 33 yrs, so mine is def hormone related as it's always on my chin area. I'm awaiting blood results that tested for testosterone levels.

Also, omegas haven't made a difference to my skin ( I supplement with cod liver oil and flaxseed oil ) but I've taken them for ages for general health benefits anyway.

I'm reluctant to say that my acne is gone forever, since that may jink me :pray: ...

I've never tried Mandelic Acid. I hope you see some good results from it soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm not sure what role, if any, the omegas are playing for me, but I need them anyway because I'm vegetarian. :)

Ive been using a lotion with 8%glycolic and 2% lactic acid morning and night for 4 weeks now and am very happy with it:) I actually went without makeup for the first time today(just for a walk around the block so i knew no one would see me but still :D ) Its getting rid of my whiteheads and fading my red marks. Hasnt done much for my blackheads but they do say you see max results at 3 months so im hoping.

Going to try and add omega3 to my diet soon, though cutting down on carbs isnt really an option because for me. Im excited to see my skin at 2 months now - good to hear from someone whose had success with aha's!

Congratulations on your success with the lotion! I never thought anything would get rid of my blackheads but the glycolic acid did it. Nothing can stand up to that stuff!!! ha

I am currently starting to take omega-3 supplements. We'll see how it goes!

I think at the very least, it's healthy for you, even if it does nothing for your skin. I hope you get some results from it. :)

I'm vegetarian, so I don't take

fish oil capsules, which are good for non-vegetarians.

Just curious, why don't vegetarians need to take fish oil? I don't eat red meat and have been thinking about taking fish oil capsules....

Just curious, why don't vegetarians need to take fish oil? I don't eat red meat and have been thinking about taking fish oil capsules....

It's not that I don't need fish oil, but I'm vegetarian in the sense that I don't eat animals, including fish. :)

It's not that I don't need fish oil, but I'm vegetarian in the sense that I don't eat animals, including fish. :)

So basically we could just use the AHA as an applicator or moisturizer everynight right?

So basically we could just use the AHA as an applicator or moisturizer everynight right?

I put the 10% glycolic acid on my face every night before bed, and sometimes moisturizer on top of it, but not always.

How's ur skin now?

I'm still 100% clear. I hope someone else tried glycolic acid and gets results from it. I do think cutting down drastically on sugar could be playing a part too, but who knows? I don't want to eat a bunch of sugar just to see if I break out again :). I just know that between the ages of 13 and 37 (now) I've tried every over the counter and homemade remedy in the world, plus some mild dermatological prescriptions, and this is the first time I've had clear skin since puberty. And I don't think that I've finally, suddenly outgrown acne because the change in my skin is too dramatic since using the glycolic acid.

How's ur skin now?

I'm still 100% clear. I hope someone else tried glycolic acid and gets results from it. I do think cutting down drastically on sugar could be playing a part too, but who knows? I don't want to eat a bunch of sugar just to see if I break out again :). I just know that between the ages of 13 and 37 (now) I've tried every over the counter and homemade remedy in the world, plus some mild dermatological prescriptions, and this is the first time I've had clear skin since puberty. And I don't think that I've finally, suddenly outgrown acne because the change in my skin is too dramatic since using the glycolic acid.

What i was asking was, so if we basically only apply the AHA sold on this site everynight we could experience the same results?

Also how severe was your acne/location, and how long did it take before you started seeing results?

How's ur skin now?

What i was asking was, so if we basically only apply the AHA sold on this site everynight we could experience the same results?

Also how severe was your acne/location, and how long did it take before you started seeing results?

I'm not sure which AHA you're talking about when you refer to the one sold on this site. I bought my Reviva brand 10% glycolic acid at a local Whole Foods store in my city. I wish I could say you will experience the same results by doing the same thing I am, but as we all know, everyone's skin is different, so all you can do is give it a shot and see what happens. It's all trial and error. I think what it's doing for my skin is continually sloughing off the dead skin cells so that my pores don't have the chance to clog.

I had mild acne when I started using the product. My acne has gone through different levels of severity in the last 25 or so years, but in the last couple of years it was mostly on my chin. I'd always have one to 4 small pimples in that area, with a larger cyst once every month or so. So it was persistent but not terrible compared to some times in the past. I also had blackheads on my nose that I couldn't get rid of.

I think it took about 2 to 3 weeks for me to clear up completely. My blackheads went away before that. My skin tone evened out in that period of time. I had some red marks leftover from acne that faded too. I hope that helps! :)

Edited by edgrolvr

How's ur skin now?

I'm not sure which AHA you're talking about when you refer to the one sold on this site. I bought my Reviva brand 10% glycolic acid at a local Whole Foods store in my city. I wish I could say you will experience the same results by doing the same thing I am, but as we all know, everyone's skin is different, so all you can do is give it a shot and see what happens. It's all trial and error. I think what it's doing for my skin is continually sloughing off the dead skin cells so that my pores don't have the chance to clog.

I had mild acne when I started using the product. My acne has gone through different levels of severity in the last 25 or so years, but in the last couple of years it was mostly on my chin. I'd always have one to 4 small pimples in that area, with a larger cyst once every month or so. So it was persistent but not terrible compared to some times in the past. I also had blackheads on my nose that I couldn't get rid of.

I think it took about 2 to 3 weeks for me to clear up completely. My blackheads went away before that. My skin tone evened out in that period of time. I had some red marks leftover from acne that faded too. I hope that helps! :)

Thanks for the reply. I get mainly acne in my chin area too and my skin tone is all messed up from the red marks left from acne and i want to find something that heals that too and have heard this AHA does work in doing that so i guess i will have to try. Anyway here is the link to the AHA sold here:

http://www.danielkern.com/product-p/aha-6.htm

Hey - thanks for the great insight into the glycolic acid thing. I just assumed all glycolic acid products were evil, but they Reviva looks really nice. And if it's sold at whole foods, well, fantastic!

But just a question about specific skin type: Was your skin type mainly blackheads and inflamed acne? Or did you have non-inflammatory acne (the colorless bumps way under the skin that pop when you squeeze them)?

Thanks!!

Hey - thanks for the great insight into the glycolic acid thing. I just assumed all glycolic acid products were evil, but they Reviva looks really nice. And if it's sold at whole foods, well, fantastic!

But just a question about specific skin type: Was your skin type mainly blackheads and inflamed acne? Or did you have non-inflammatory acne (the colorless bumps way under the skin that pop when you squeeze them)?

Thanks!!

Ah, that's a good question to ask! :)

I only had blackheads on my nose, and the rest was inflamed acne. Even small pimples would stay on my face forever.

Still acne free with the glycolic acid. I've not been consistent with the omega's lately --- just busy and not making time to work it into my food.