Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alternativista

What do you shave with

I've been shaving with cheap hair conditioner. I'd like to shave with the jojoba or other oil I keep on hand, but I think oils dull the razor blades. But lots of people do it. Is there something you can do to keep it from dulling the razor?

Or I was noticing the ingredients in Paula's choice:

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Glycerin (slip agent), Polysorbate-20 (thickener), Ethoxydiglycol (solvent), Epilobium Angustifolium (Willow Herb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (anti-irritant), Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Extract. Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, (anti-irritants/antioxidants), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), PPG-12 Buteth-16 (emulsifier), Glycol Stearate (thickener), Carbomer (gel-based thickener)...

Guest missyjean130

I shave in the shower and just use my body wash suds as shaving cream.

I actually prefer cheap,disposable daisy razors. Use 'em a few times and toss them.

I get just as good of a shave in comparison with fancy razors.

Guest veganwithacne

I use Dr. Bronner's Organic Shaving Soap Gel (mine is lemongrass-lime). My hubby uses the tea tree one. I think it works great and it contains oils.

Ingredients:

Organic Acacia Concinna (Shikakai) Extract, Organic Sucrose*, Organic Grape (Vitis Vinifera) Juice, Potassium Cocoate (made with Organic Coconut Oil)*, Potassium Olivate (made with Organic Olive Oil)*, Organic Glycerin, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Organic Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Oil, Organic Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Oil, Organic Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Organic Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Citric Acid, Tocopherol (Vit. E), (* Certified Fair Trade by IMO)

i use conditioner or body wash myself....don't have any advice for the razor issue...sorry

I use Skintimate cream shave. It doesn't foam (goes on clear, actually) and feels like there's a bit of leftover baby oil on the legs after being rinsed off. I like it and don't get itchy and dry or bumpy afterwards.

I've not found anything that makes razors last longer, unfortunately. That would be so nice. There is a device called the Razor Saver though that's supposed to sharpen disposables. It's not expensive ($12), but I don't know anyone that uses one and haven't researched reviews.

I think it must be that more skin cells, hair and other gunk sticks to the blade when you shave with oil so if you clean it off well it should actually stay sharper. Because people with knives and whatever that they take good care of apply oils to them when they sharpen them. I'm going to go back to shaving with oil or my aloe, oil and/or glycerin idea.

I use this organic shave gel in New Zealand: http://www.primalearth.co.nz/products

It is OK I guess. I don't like the texture on my hands. Though, it is natural. These days I hardly ever use it and just trim while my cleanser is on. Doing the whole shaving gel routine takes time in the morning. And I don't think that gel would affect your acne, maybe if it was used as a mask or something it could help in some way.

I've tried drugstore shaving products, some from Sephora, as well as more expensive department store ones. but still the best I have used is Aveeno shaving gel. I've used the Therapeutic one before and now i'm loving the Ultra-Calming version.