Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I used to. What are some of the lies you said in the past? I just said I was tired and didn't feel like going anywhere.

I didn't go 2 a friends wedding on sat because my skin is so bad. I just couldn't do it.

I felt really bad 4 not going but i know i wouldn't of enjoyed myself if i went. I always feel people r looking at me. Even though they probably dont.

I done it in the past when my skin was really bad, i dont do it any more.

It aint easy huh ?

I lost a lotta good friends as a result of avoidance unfortz.

Just gotta do your best i guess huh.

i lie but i ask god to forgive me b/c. i only lie b/c of my acne and scars but my friends just dont understand how i feel. it hurts me b/c they truly want to hangout with me but i just flake on them. i know am losing my friends b/c of this acne curse. i dont have friends now just co workers. its better this way for me. i have god!

Yup I have done this. I do feel bad about it, but I mostly feel sorry for myself in the end. In that I let it control my life. But the people around me just won't be able to comprehend the feelings of an acne sufferer. I tell myself, when all is well, I will be the most outgoing guy. My only real friend is my girlfriend/fiance and family. :)

She's my number 1 inspiration :)

I done it in the past when my skin was really bad, i dont do it any more.

It aint easy huh ?

I lost a lotta good friends as a result of avoidance unfortz.

Just gotta do your best i guess huh.

Exactly the same as you man, used to lie all the time when my skin was at its worst, used to never answer the phone/switch it off etc and other things just to avoid seeing my friends.

Lost probably about 90% of my friends because of this shit, and I had quite alot of friends, I only have like 2 or 3 people left from the past that I can still call my friends nowadays. I regret it but I dont at the same time, my skin was so bad at the time that if I had gone out I would have probably suffered even more (it was unbelievably bad).

I've done it before also, all through high-school, although it was a mix of low self esteem concerning other things, severe social anxiety, and skin condition. To this day I still have terrible social skills, even with a mostly clear face :redface: I'm learning though. Trust me, your friends, if they're true friends, don't care about the condition of your skin, but they certainly do care that you blow them off. Your skin is not worth losing good friends over.

Funny that this topic showed up, I literally just got off the phone with a friend and told them I couldn't make it to dinner because "something came up". All because of this damn acne. Sigh

I've been guilty of this in the past. I can remember a few times when I was supposed to be meeting my now boyfriend and I ended up bailing out because I was so worried about my skin (I'm talking giant, "hey, look at me!" cysts that just refuse to be covered up with makeup). I felt absolutely terrible, both for pulling out at such short notice and at the fact that I couldn't face seeing him because of my skin. Once I remember forcing myself to walk down to the bus stop but being so close to tears because of how self-conscious I felt that I ended up coming back home and bawling my eyes out. Think I made up something about having terrible stomach cramps, or some other fishy excuse.

I know he knows there was something shifty about those times I didn't make it out to see him, because he's jokily brought up a few times that he thought I didn't like him (not the case at all!). I still feel terribly uncomfortable about letting people see me when my skin is particularly bad, but I'm less likely to try and get out of it than I have been in the past.

Then again, apart from my boyfriend I really don't have very many people who I can bail out on anyway. I'm really quite worried about what's going to happen once I'm at university though and can't avoid people so easily when my face is broken out in cysts that I can't bear anyone to see and when I just don't have the energy to be sociable (I feel this way a lot of the time).

Yes I am doing this more and more often. Before my acne got bad I used to be the one organising stuff to do with my friends and now I'm making up excuses like: 'Sorry dude I'm really tired.' or 'I can't come tonight because my uncle is throwing a party.'

Oh well, I guess I will have to get over this soon.. I already lost my self-esteem, I don't want to start losing friends 'cause of those damn zits as well!

Man, when my face was really bad I used to cancel plans every weekend! With my friends AND boyfriend. Once I didn't see my boyfriend for two weeks because of "exams." I sat alone at home so many times.

Guest maq

Yeah I do. Last weekend I could have gone to London for a friend's birthday which would all in all be a good night out. I turned it down and made up a BS story 'cause of how my skin was looking. I did that a lot throughout my final year at university, too.

Yeah I lie all the time, usually I just say I'm not feeling well. I think they know I'm lying but they don't question it. Whatever, right?

Do you ever lie to people when they ask you to hang out because your face is in "bad condition"? I feel like I've been doing it a lot lately. =\

i have if i knew alot of girls would be there, ive turned down a party or 2 just for being so shy becuase of my acne.

I do it because I don't want to put on all that makeup. Sometimes I just want to let my skin breathe :redface:

Im the exact same way. Im either tired or too lazy to put it on. Other times my skin is really bad with makeup on and i hate the way i can tell that someone is staring at it..including my friends, so i just stay home. I used to always cancel sleepovers or just leave early because i didnt want people to see my skin without makeup. I will never sleep with makeup on, its so bad for your skin!! At the moment my skin is clearing up, fingers crossed, because of accutane. So im more open to going out. But makeup is still a pain.

I can recognise myself in many of the posts above, sadly enough. Together with other social insecurities I have from being bullied for nine years in school, I have no problems being alone or every once in a while bailing on my friends because I just can't stand being around flaw-free people and dealing with my demons as I call it. I try and do my best every day at university with makeup and so on, but sometimes there isn't enough concealer neither for my skin nor smiles in me for my psyche to conceal my feelings. Many of my friends are people who need company all the time (whether it is a boyfriend/girlfriend or having over other friends to their houses, going out shopping, for a coffee etc), but not me. I have learned to be alone and on my own. Of course I love my old highschool friends, and I have a few from my university back home that I am really close to. I'm happiest when I'm spending time with them, and I feel sorry that I have missed out on things because of my inner fears. On the other hand, as has been described before: Acne makes you stronger.

At the moment I'm on a one-year exchange program abroad and sharing a flat in a big city with three other people that I do not know well yet. My skin has for the past six months or so been at its worst compared to my previous circa ten years of acne suffering. I either hibernate in my room or go out with big sunglasses on that cover half of my face, plus anonymity is so much greater if you're on your own in a big city. But I have realised that this is not a good solution because I have to go out to the kitchen and bathroom sometime, and I can't be completely antisocial to my flatmates or to my soon to be schoolmates. They will just have to see me without my fake face on, because I can't be hiding forever, or acne will consume me from the inside out until there is nothing left. It has hurt me enough and I'm tired of feeling like my soul is so much older than other people's because of acne induced social securities and my less visible scars from being bullied, that I have almost lost the way of seeing the glass half full and that the playful side of me is almost gone.

Soon school here starts, and I intend to enjoy this time despite of my acne. If I'm lucky my new birthcontrol will kick in and maybe the bp will also contribute when it stops irritating my skin so much. Otherwise, I'm trying to reduce the stress level in my life, flunk some courses (I never usually do that), go out and have fun and enjoy good food and drinks! This is one year I will never get another chance at!

I remember telling my now husband that I didn't want to go out (in public) with him (or around others) because of my skin. It's natural to want to hide - especially when you see people with clear skin - and your first instinct is to think, "Why do I have acne and not them?"

I had strange skin too - where I'd have splotchy skin - not even acne - but red marks underneath the skin that looked like my blood was separating from my skin?? Weird - I know. I think it was hormonal - but it was something that makeup couldn't cover up.

So I know all about not wanting to go out - and to this day - when I get a cystic pimple - I will avoid going out for errands/groceries until it either goes down or away - because I just feel like a freak of nature.

Even though you see others with perfect skin - I swear - EVERYONE gets pimples. Everyone. I don't care how perfect your skin looks - everyone has a down moment. Everyone. You are not alone.

And like others have said - your true friends won't even notice what's on your face. What makes you - YOU - is beyond what lies upon your face. It's what lies WITHIN.

But we all understand the want - and sometimes - the NEED to hide. And it's okay. Sometimes, you need that separation. It's hard to try and be happy (when you should) when some people have no idea what it's like to have to go out (in public, everyday) with acne. It's hard. Very VERY hard.

And you are stronger WITHIN because of it.

I am doing that all the time since got this acne... sadly to say... hope my friends wouldn't get tired of me with all the excuses!

I usually says that am busy and all, with work and school... so yeah---and an added I'll make it up. At the back of my mind... how many more months?

Am in debt with "treat dates" with friends hahaha... (sigh) but I don't mind so... if only... weeeh I badly want to be clear.