Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Good Guy

Why are guys so afraid of make-up?

You are contradicting yourself, because who is he to say men can't wear makeup, but who are you to say its normal for a man to slap make up all over his face. Sorry as a woman, if I saw a straight man with makeup, I would be completely turned off. Thank you so much, for putting my words of wisdom in your quote by the way, much appreciated, I feel like a fucken net celebrity now. LMFAO, people these days.

Edited by BRAZZY

You are contradicting yourself, because who is he to say men can wear makeup, but who are you to say its normal for a man to slap make up all over his face.

Wow... you don't make any sense do you?

I am all for "live and let live". A guy can wear makeup if he WANTS.

HE is saying that men shouldn't wear makeup.

I am saying people are free to choose whatever they want, gay or straight. Whatever "normal" means. And unfortunately, you only seem to be able to judge what is normal from YOUR own eyes. Society doesn't work that way.

In other words-- he is trying to restrict people's rights to appear how they want. I am not. No comparison there.

As for you being turned off by a straight guy wearing makeup-- that has no relevance, and you are not the same as every other girl out there. Again-- on matters of sociology, you need to look at the greater social realm outside of YOURSELF.

Anyways, I am done arguing with a 16 year old girl about what a guy can do with his face. It's getting trivial and the mods are gonna have a lot of work to do if I post anymore.

Edited by andrewharv

EDIT:

Okay me and Brazzy have resolved our mutual bitchiness and life can go on now folks. But I am leaving up what I put because I think my arguments are ones that people who are insecure about the topic of men and makeup need to hear in any case. Especially the guy who made the highly offensive posting pointed at gay men. ACNE.ORG stands for acceptance.

Edited by andrewharv

LOL Andrew,

Thanks for that service announcement = ) Haha, mutual bitchiness I know that's right. :P

Mwahz

Edited by BRAZZY

So.. about that makeup.. they're afraid because they don't know how to put it on.

:comfort:

Lol was reading through the thread and i thought some of those things were something my parents would say. they ask me if im gay because I take long showers and use lotions and the like =/, they've also asked me if i use mascara because of my dark somewhat long lashes and told me if I am I should stop because its gay =/

I'm a straight male who wants to wear makeup to look normal.

For those who say "men shouldn't wear makeup" and "it's not manly" obviously have no idea what having acne is really like.

let me say somthing:

All woman should stay in the home, cook, clean, have babies, and never get an education.

Does that offend you? Well that was the social norm not so long ago. Norms can change, it's a matter of whose willing to take that step. If it's a straight male who want's to, when meeting people, not have them say in their mind "oh, this guys got acne" and make up judgements about him than good.

by the way, I haven't read the last page of this thread, maybe someone already said somthing like this.

Hey OwlHowl,

You did an excellent job of summing up what I think a few of us here feel. Social norms are always changing, and regardless, people should be able to do what they want and need in order to feel more confident.

Good post :clap:

In my opinion using makeup is feminine and its weird when guys use it and whatever stereotypical thing people have about all gay guys wear makeup, thats so not true because im gay and have never worn makeup i could im sure it'l really reduce the redness of some of my zits but it would make my face all one . Just like having chick bodybuilders its just weird.

Edited by Shekshee Beast

if a women enjoys bodybuilding why would you consider that weird? Lifes all about being happy, enjoying yourself, and having a good time. I dont think there is anything wrong witha guy wearing a little makeup to cover up some red marks to look a bit more presentable and feel a little better.

Women wear makeup-> for beauty

Men with acne wear makeup-> for normality

There's a difference. And it's not like they're going to put on purple eyeliner and all the other more womanly makeup stuff.

We're talking about concealer and foundation, stuff that makes skin look normal, not exagerated

Guys shouldn't be wearing any sort of makeup end of discussion.

Makeup is for girls and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is lying.

Makeup is not manly and thats the reason so many gay males wear it.

I really hope the guys on here who wear makeup realize all they are doing is making things worse.

Cultural norms change all of the time. Men used to wear make-up all of the time (hello 18th century). Metrosexualism is growing at a rapid pace in this country whether you personally agree with it or not. It's already big over in Japan. It's just make-up. *shrug* Make-up does not make a man. His actions determine that.

I just asked my extremely manly boyfriend (midwestern, milk-fed, football-player type) if he has ever worn makeup, and he has, but it was his mom's makeup, and it didn't match his skin tone, so he washed it off and gave up. He says a lack of application skills is one fear of a man putting on makeup.

Edited by Addie

Only wore make-up once when I was having an extremely bad day and I was at mt wits end. When I went to class I got called on it by the girl sitting in front of me, everyone stared and laughed.

I'll never touch the stuff ever again in my life.

Best of luck to you.

I also study sociology. So please don't even try because I will just laugh at you.

Lol. "STUDY SOCIOLOGY IF YOU DARE! FOR I WILL LAUGH AT YOU!"

A very heated discussion taking place in here :think: I'll just preface my thoughts on the issue with the point that was raised earlier - makeup is not intrinsically masculine or feminine, that being said it's more commonly associated with the latter and alot more socially acceptable for females.

But, these things change, it wasn't (relatively speaking) long ago that men were wearing it - 18th Century and the like. I mean, about a hundred years or so ago it was not acceptable for woman to wear trousers, but times change. At the moment blokes are becoming more and more metro and by proxy concerned about their looks - moisturisers and exfoiliators are becoming more and more 'normal' for guys, and the next logical step is the 'final frontier' in cosmetics - makeup lol.

Let me also say, I'm not suggesting that men are reaching ever closer to the full sha-bang of eye-shadow, blush and lip gloss. It's always going to be the more subtle stuff like foundation and concealer.

Ok then, with that over let me say that I'm a straight guy who also dabbles in the taboo that is makeup. What I basically do is mix some tinted moisturiser with my normal everyday stuff, and I get a very subtle blending effect going on - I have tried concealer before too, but that was pretty much a disaster lol. The reason behind this is that I have a skin condition called rosacea, that means most of the time my face is a pinkish colour; add to that red marks from acne and you have quite a bad combination. The 'blend' does not hide anything par say - I have not gone for the drag queen look :razz: All this does is make everything more uniform, some of the pinkishness and the red marks are still on show - but I at least have a fairly normal colour now and the increase confidence is a huge plus. Subtly really is the key here, and I think that is more or less shown by the fact I've been doing this for a while and not once been asked about it - which I definitely think is a good thing. :whistle:

What I basically do is mix some tinted moisturiser with my normal everyday stuff, and I get a very subtle blending effect going on -

Exactly what I do. I mix in a bit of LA ROCHE POSAY Hydreane Teinte--- a tinted moisturizer-- into my Complex 15 moisturizer and it's subtle enough that others can't notice it. It just evens out your skin tone and makes my face look less red. Perfect for Accutane users too because it's incredibly hydrating, all day long.

Apart from that I wouldn't touch any makeup but I consider a tinted moisturizer to be just that-- a moisturizer-- and not makeup.

Most dudes dont know how to apply it correctly. and not to mention, they might not want to go through trial and error and risking someone asking them "ARE YOU WEARING MAKEUP?"

or they just dont want to look like this

post-39078-1254291627_thumb.jpg

post-39078-1254291636_thumb.jpg

post-39078-1254291645_thumb.jpg

post-39078-1254291627_thumb.jpg

post-39078-1254291636_thumb.jpg

post-39078-1254291645_thumb.jpg

Edited by sugaraddiction

that first guy doesnt look too incredibly made up, but wow... the second dude, and zac efron totally look like they are. The first guy looks kind of sick or something, or unhealthy.

Most dudes dont know how to apply it correctly. and not to mention, they might not want to go through trial and error and risking someone asking them "ARE YOU WEARING MAKEUP?"

or they just dont want to look like this

the first two have skin issues like acne and scarring - it looks like they used full coverage foundation to cover it up. unfortunately, full coverage doesn't always end up looking natural unless you apply it properly and know how to blend everything out well. In the first picture the foundation wasn't blended into the neck.. makes his face look too pale/yellow.

As for Zac Efron - his skin looks good, but his eyes look a bit feminine (eyeliner, lashes) and the bronzer they used is too dark for his skintone.

most of the guys who posted in this thread aren't using full coverage so it's highly unlikely they'll end up looking like that. Some concealer and a sheer loose powder will be enough for most men who want to cover up redness or spots and still look natural. tinted moisturizer will give sheer coverage as well.

Edited by Fiyero

What I basically do is mix some tinted moisturiser with my normal everyday stuff, and I get a very subtle blending effect going on -

Exactly what I do. I mix in a bit of LA ROCHE POSAY Hydreane Teinte--- a tinted moisturizer-- into my Complex 15 moisturizer and it's subtle enough that others can't notice it. It just evens out your skin tone and makes my face look less red. Perfect for Accutane users too because it's incredibly hydrating, all day long.

Apart from that I wouldn't touch any makeup but I consider a tinted moisturizer to be just that-- a moisturizer-- and not makeup.

Ah ok then, you have a point there with the moisturiser, I think there's definitely a grey area there. I'm simply going on what I friend of mine thinks, who being female has a lot more experience in the area than me. ;) But saying all that, I have experimented with a mineral foundation recently (in place of the moisturiser) and the effect is even better - however the price is putting me off doing this long term.

Edited by Bacon_n'_Paranoia412

Guys shouldn't be wearing any sort of makeup end of discussion.

Makeup is for girls and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is lying.

Makeup is not manly and thats the reason so many gay males wear it.

I really hope the guys on here who wear makeup realize all they are doing is making things worse.

Cultural norms change all of the time. Men used to wear make-up all of the time (hello 18th century). Metrosexualism is growing at a rapid pace in this country whether you personally agree with it or not. It's already big over in Japan. It's just make-up. *shrug* Make-up does not make a man. His actions determine that.

Awh Yeah :hifive:, you show em siava. I cannot stand small minded people *cough cough*