Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cornelia

for the last time...

look up studies.

if you guys don't listen to me, then listen to what they have to say.

most studies say diet doesn't matter.

That absolutely was the accepted medical opinion up until fairly recently. But it's important to understand that that opinion was based on little research or, as one doctor put it "2 marginal and poorly designed studies that are now over 30 years old".

With the 2002 Cordain paper that demonstrated a complete absence of acne in all ages (including teenagers) of two separate pre-civilized societies, it was obvious that the possible influence of diet on acne needed more thorough examination. Since that time, multiple studies have found an ability of diet (e.g. dairy, or glycemic load) to influence acne.

So, just as there was a long period of time during which most doctors would tell you that cigarette smoking was not a hazard to your health -- even though that period of time overlapped the mounting evidence that tobacco use causes cancer, even so we are now in a period of time when many dermatologists are still happy to tell you that diet does not affect acne -- even though studies demonstrating the opposite already exist.

That is not to overstate the situation, however. We still don't know precisely how diet influences acne, and why it is so highly variable in its relationship to acne. However, the slowly decreasing ranks of dermatologists willing to say that diet cannot affect acne are either completely ignorant of the research of the last 7 years, or else are too intellectually dishonest to admit that that position is increasingly at odds with the data.

In some real sense, it is true that diet "doesn't matter". Until we know the mechanism of how it matters well enough to actually cure acne (as opposed to producing modest statistical improvements in study groups), the scientific evidence that diet can have some affect on acne is not of great use to acne sufferers. As always, individuals will claim to have detected precise relationships between food and acne for themselves; as always, some percentage (probably a large one) of those are chasing subjective and accidental correlations.

I don't get why people are calling me ignorant??

Im just going by my experience.

You answered your own question. I, however am going by my experience and by tons of research. You should try learning something once in a while.

And if you have never broken out why are you here. Why do you need medications? I didn't know my diet was causing my acne either. Until I changed it and my skin cleared in a very short time.

Here let me help you:

Mainstream Doctors and other health experts admitting to the diet and acne connection:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Admitting...on-t241013.html

Tons of clinical studies demonstrating the connection between diet and nutrients and the many factors that cause acne:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Clinical-...-A-t215374.html

Ways diet and lifestyle affects acne and what to do about them:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...an-t230714.html

Lengthy, but by no means complete, list of members who've cleared their skin via diet and healthy lifestyle:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Success-C...ea-t172158.html

And btw, healthy foods are the good stuff.

look up studies.

if you guys don't listen to me, then listen to what they have to say.

most studies say diet doesn't matter.

That absolutely was the accepted medical opinion up until fairly recently. But it's important to understand that that opinion was based on little research or, as one doctor put it "2 marginal and poorly designed studies that are now over 30 years old".

With the 2002 Cordain paper that demonstrated a complete absence of acne in all ages (including teenagers) of two separate pre-civilized societies, it was obvious that the possible influence of diet on acne needed more thorough examination. Since that time, multiple studies have found an ability of diet (e.g. dairy, or glycemic load) to influence acne.

So, just as there was a long period of time during which most doctors would tell you that cigarette smoking was not a hazard to your health -- even though that period of time overlapped the mounting evidence that tobacco use causes cancer, even so we are now in a period of time when many dermatologists are still happy to tell you that diet does not affect acne -- even though studies demonstrating the opposite already exist.

That is not to overstate the situation, however. We still don't know precisely how diet influences acne, and why it is so highly variable in its relationship to acne. However, the slowly decreasing ranks of dermatologists willing to say that diet cannot affect acne are either completely ignorant of the research of the last 7 years, or else are too intellectually dishonest to admit that that position is increasingly at odds with the data.

In some real sense, it is true that diet "doesn't matter". Until we know the mechanism of how it matters well enough to actually cure acne (as opposed to producing modest statistical improvements in study groups), the scientific evidence that diet can have some affect on acne is not of great use to acne sufferers. As always, individuals will claim to have detected precise relationships between food and acne for themselves; as always, some percentage (probably a large one) of those are chasing subjective and accidental correlations.

---------

I appreciated this post. all the other posts seemed rude, but this one was just explaining facts. I guess I can understand that acne can be caused by food. Im still not certain, but I guess there is enough proof? I have gotten lucky, because most of my breakouts are caused by my monthly time, but I guess I won't ever know if a couple came from food. I would just rather not worry about acne coming from food, I want to enjoy myself. but thank you for the post[=

hahahahaha... The more you write the more ignorant *moderator edit* you sound. Oh wait, I'm sorry your dermatologist told you diet has nothing to do with acne, and we all know that he/she just cares about your own personal health and interest. It's a good thing that when she tells you to try retina and recommends antibiotics and maybe even accutane, she is really just doing it to help you and has nothing to gain.

For the other person who said that the people that got cleared by diet are liars, all I have to say is *moderator edit*. Diet effects everything of your body, most people that eat junk food and don't get acne are just building up a bunch of shit that they will suffer on later in life, don't believe me then why don't you check on the statistics of the huge increase of heart disease, obesity, cancer and other diseases of civilization.

I used to have moderate/severe acne since I was 13 till just 3 months ago. Believe me when I say I tried every supplement mentioned on this board and every topical available. I was even on accutane for 10 days until I gave it up because my knees were hurting like hell. I did Bee's anti candida diet and things got a lot better for me but still not 100%. With further research I found different civilizations in the past (Inuit, Native Americans of the Plains, The gauchos of Argentina,and the Australian Aborigens) who not only had no sign of acne in their culture but also none of the modern diseases of civilization. What did they eat, well they all ate meat (High fat not high protein) and drank water. Which at first may seem shocking, I mean how is somebody supposed to survive without fruits and veggies?!?! Oh my god they must be lacking all kinds of vitamins and minerals, well they arent. In fact anthropological studies of the remains of Inuit bones show that not only did they have great bone density without drinking milk or taking calcium supplements but their teeth were completely cavity free.

And if you really stop to think about it makes sense in evolutionary terms. We began as monkeys eating veggies, fruts, nuts and small insects. But then there was a climate change and a lot of the monkeys were forced out of their habitat and had to eat a different diet, one that consisted primarily if not solely of Meat. Of course at the beginning many monkeys weren't adapt to it so many probably suffered and died at an early age but after millions of years that monkey evolved to the Homo Sapiens (you). It wasnt until 12000-15000 years ago that discovery of agriculture came about, which in evolutionary terms is very short so there is no way that the human body is completely adapted to eating grains (which explains so many food intelorances to wheat). So after trying everything, I said what the heck, I don't have anything to lose except my acne so I've been eating nothing but meat and drinking nothing but water for the past 3 and a half months and I have completely clear skin. Oh, and for those of you who think I should be dead right now or very lethargic, let me tell you that I play soccer 5 times a week and my energy comes from Fat not Carbs which is very possible and actually what the body is meant to do. Also if you think this is bad in the long term, since oh my god living without veggies in fruit is just a death sentence, I suggest you look up Vilhjalmur Stefansson and the Bellevue Trial (since a lot of you need the scientific evidence because personal experience means nothing to you). Now a lot of you will say I'm a liar, crazy, etc... etc... But the point is that I really have nothing to gain from telling you my personal experiences and no matter what you think about me eating just meat and drinking just water, just know that I'll be able to look in the mirror and look and feel great something that I had not been able to do for a long time.

I appreciated this post. all the other posts seemed rude, but this one was just explaining facts. I guess I can understand that acne can be caused by food.

Because we frequently have people coming here making statements similar to your rude post and it's usually pointless to explain anything to them as I've tried many times in the past. Perhaps if you had asked questions or had any information whatsoever to share, rather than treating us like we were the ignorant ones who needed your advice, you wouldn't not have gotten rude responses.

But I am glad you learned something.

I appreciated this post. all the other posts seemed rude, but this one was just explaining facts. I guess I can understand that acne can be caused by food.

Because we frequently have people coming here making statements similar to your rude post and it's usually pointless to explain anything to them as I've tried many times in the past. Perhaps if you had asked questions or had any information whatsoever to share, rather than treating us like we were idiots, you wouldn't not have gotten rude responses.

-------------------------------

well I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I didn't really think anyone would take that offensively.

All it is, is an opinion.

And I know most of the people on here have gone through

a lot, so I guess it is easy to snap at someone like me?

Because we frequently have people coming here making statements similar to your rude post and it's usually pointless to explain anything to them as I've tried many times in the past. Perhaps if you had asked questions or had any information whatsoever to share, rather than treating us like we were idiots, you wouldn't not have gotten rude responses.

Of course we are going to take offense when someone comes in and tells us we are all wrong, especially when they are wrong and yeah.

No, it is not an opinion. Let me say my opinion "humans don't need to breathe to live," although there are many studies proving otherwise, and people are all over the world discovering the only way to live is by breathing, I am still going to go around ranting saying "YOU DONT NEED TO BREATHE!!!"

Saying "diet isn't related to acne," with all the studies and with it being so obvious, is just as stupid, if not more, as saying humans don't need to breathe.

We are only snapping because you seemed to think were a bunch of idiots and your Mr.Know it all and you are better than us.

Of course we are going to take offense when someone comes in and tells us we are all wrong, especially when they are wrong and yeah.

No, it is not an opinion. Let me say my opinion "humans don't need to breathe to live," although there are many studies proving otherwise, and people are all over the world discovering the only way to live is by breathing, I am still going to go around ranting saying "YOU DONT NEED TO BREATHE!!!"

Saying "diet isn't related to acne," with all the studies and with it being so obvious, is just as stupid, if not more, as saying humans don't need to breathe.

We are only snapping because you seemed to think were a bunch of idiots and your Mr.Know it all and you are better than us.

-------------------------

your reading too much into it.

I never said I was better than anyone here.

I think this is stupid. I have a whole life,

im not gonna spend my time arguing over

something like this. I just wish you werent

so defensive. In my opinion your giving all

people with acne a bad name. now when

I think of people with severe acne I think

of people who are going to get angry at

someone just for posting a stupid little

post. no, i might not go through what

you go through, but that doesn't mean

you know better than me.

But.. we do know better than you.. You know minuscule amounts about diet-acne connection, so yes, actually, we do know better.

Also, if a person with blonde hair gets angry at me for something, I don't think all blondes are stupid, so you are just being corrupt.

Food has NOTHING to do with acne. It is so silly that people would actually think this. I eat whatever I want and I don't break out. I have pizza, chips, soda, ice cream... you name it. So this whole theory that food causes breakouts is lame. It is easy to blame skin problems on food, but most skin problems are simply genetics, hormones, etc.

What, you think food doesn't play any role in your hormonal system? You don't think there are any genetic patterns to food intolerances?

Admit it, you're some kind of troll aren't you?

That's enough.

We're all different. Food may have an impact on acne for some of us, and for others, there may seem to be no connection.

I think we can all agree that a healthy diet is good for our bodies overall.

Thread closed.