Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cornelia

for the last time...

Food has NOTHING to do with acne. It is so silly that people would actually think this. I eat whatever I want and I don't break out. I have pizza, chips, soda, ice cream... you name it. So this whole theory that food causes breakouts is lame. It is easy to blame skin problems on food, but most skin problems are simply genetics, hormones, etc.

theres hormones in dairy, or is that magical hormones that dies in your belly after you eat/drink it? and yes lots of people can eat what they want and dont get acne, nor wash their face daily and still dont.

Food has NOTHING to do with acne. It is so silly that people would actually think this. I eat whatever I want and I don't break out. I have pizza, chips, soda, ice cream... you name it. So this whole theory that food causes breakouts is lame. It is easy to blame skin problems on food, but most skin problems are simply genetics, hormones, etc.

Guest veganwithacne

I don't think that food is the only cause of acne, but let's be honest poor eating habits leads to numerous health issues (diabetes, obesity, etc.) so why couldn't acne be one of those issues. If it is only genetics and endocrine issues that impact acne then topicals should also be considered useless. While you may find it lame that food has an impact on acne hopefully you will not find it lame that eating that way is not good for your general health and well being.

Lol @ stupidity. Sorry to be harsh but YOUR acne is not caused by diet, mine is, I know many other people that have diet affecting their acne. Acne is not from one cause, we all know that here at acne.org, we aren't stupid like some.. There are tens, possibly hundreds of causes for acne, diet is one, if diet doesn't affect yours, it doesn't mean it doesn't affect ours. Time to learn the world doesn't revolve around you.

A personal anecdote: for a couple days last week, I broke my diet and had foods that I hadn't had in months. Ice cream, pizza, cereal, granola bars, juice, the works. I broke out the day after my second day of cheat-eating. Since then, I've reverted back to my usual diet, and the pimples healed quickly and now my skin is great again, and no more break outs.

Furthermore, there is credible scientific evidence that food (especially dairy products) can contribute to acne. Don't believe me? Go to pubmed.com and search for "milk and acne" and you'll find multiple studies concluding that dairy is an acne agent. There are other studies linking glycemic index to acne, as well.

Finally, I disagree with your final point. You said that it was "easy" to blame your acne on diet. Ridiculous. It's easy to just blame your acne on genetics, and it's difficult to accept the fact that maybe, just maybe you need to make better lifestyle habits if you want the best chance of fighting your acne.

My first question is, if you don't have acne, then why are you posting on this website? My guess is you found a solution to your acne. Congrats. Why don't you share your solution instead of insulting others? Most likely, whatever helped cure your acne, I have already tried and it hasn't worked.

It's not always about 'eating bad'. I always ate very well my whole life. I think that combinations of foods, food sensitivities, and lack of certain nutrients can have an effect on the skin.

What I find 'silly' is people who believe they can live on processed, chemical-laden, unhealthly food and go through life without being affected. Maybe you have clear skin, wonderful. But you have an incrediblely increased risk of heart disease, obesity, cancer and other ailments that have been linked to poor diet.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Your ignorance is amusing. You say that you don't break out from food. How do you know that other people don't? It's not hard to tell if diet affects your acne, but it's hard to find what in your diet affects it.

I used to eat multiple bowls of sugary cereal every morning. As soon as I stopped, the acne on my cheeks started to clear up. I still break out, but diet is definitely helping a little bit. And as far as I'm concerned, a little bit is better than nothing.

I do think it's important not to get too anal about things though. Don't be afraid of eating everything just because you read on here that someone broke out for something. See if it breaks you out first, then avoid it (or keep eating it). And moderation is key.

hahahahahaha, good for you if you don't get acne but I promise you that sooner or later that horrible diet with insulin spikes will negatively effect you in one way or another (obesity, diabetes, cancer...etc...)In fact, in my honest opinion Acne is probably the best disease to have in terms of our body warning us that something is just not right

:doh:

I agree with the "idea" of what you could have said.

Food does have something to do.. but its true, it really does not have to do much with acne.

It can easily have nothing to do with acne, everyone who has said changing their diet made their acne dissappeared is a liar.

Food is mostly always on your side, whatever it is, it helps the body, but unless you find SOME OTHER way to maintain healthy skin long enough so that FOOD heals/strengthens the skin up, its pointless to keep trying to eat healthy. There has to be something else you do to your skin, whether it be applying chemicals, exercising, emotional control, or something else [aging/(not same as dying)], unless you do that, eating healthier food won't do much or your acne. Once you find that other way, then eating good food can help heal you up faster, else you would heal slower.

I don't know what I'm trying to say either. My imagination is abstract but this thread should not be disregarded.

Solothink, diet does heal many peoples acne, just because it doesn't heal yours, doesn't mean you can call them liars.

The study that acne does not affect diet was performed 30 years ago in a mildly controlled test, and that is what dermatologists learn at training, only the good ones who have had acne or know someone who had acne and cured it through diet know the real truth.

I don't get why people are calling me ignorant??

Im just going by my experience. I eat whatever I want, and I have never

broke out. Last year I went off dairy for awhile and nothing changed.

And im not risking obesity, im skinny. I just think it is better to live

your life and not cut out all of these foods that are enjoyable. I know

that a lot of people think eating healthy is saving your skin, but there

are other factors. Maybe what is really helping you is new medication,

chemical peel, etc.

What I am really trying to say, is that it is easy to blame things on

food, but food does not directly cause acne.

I will agree, there are some foods that are very good for your skin.

I put yogurt on my skin, and it is very soothing for it. Tea is good for

your skin. Fruits are good. So yeah, eat healthy if you wanna, but

don't lose out on all the good stuff.

chemical peel, etc.

Your still wrong. Food does not affect your strain of acne, it affects most peoples acne though. We know that some people are lucky and can eat whatever, but if we all just ate whatever, we'd have cysts and things all over our faces.

Diet plays a HUGE role for a lot of people. I don't take topicals, I like to control it from the inside, it is much more effective than topical treatment.

chemical peel, etc.

Your experience =/= everyone's experience

You only tried to cut out dairy? What if dairy isn't the culprit for you? What if it's citrus or gluten? What if it's anything else? Finding the dietary cause is far from easy, elimination diets are lengthy tedious things. The only reason we continue to try them is because they work - and when they work they don't stop.

A lot people in this subforum are clear solely from dietary changes, they use NO topicals. I use retin-a, but I had been long before diet cleared my skin.

People are calling you ignorant because you were, weren't you? Did you try and disprove your own theory before you posted, or did you just post the popular conviction?

And if you have never broken out, why on earth are you here?

I know enough in this topic.

My dermatolgist told me that food has nothing to do with diet.

My esthectician told me the same thing I think.

My mom struggled with acne awhile ago, she told me the same thing.

Im not going to agree with everyone just to go with the flow.

I understand your point, try to understand mine.

I did more research so I could back myself, and everything I found

said that no food causes breakouts, but sometimes milk causes breakouts.

Also, you might be more susceptible if you are allergic to a certain food.

I would recommend getting an allergy test done to see if there are

any foods you are allergic to. I got a test done and it said the only

thing I was allergic to was soy.

and I have broken out before.

but early last year I got prescribed retin-A and Benzoyl and my skin cleared.

I get a couple small spots now and then, but my major problem is pigmentation.

I get under the skin pimples that are painless and only look like tiny red flat

spots on the surface of my skin. but they take months to go away. This past

summer I have gotten lots of chemical peels done, and my skin has improved

from the spots.

It sounds like your dermatologist and esthetician need to read some more current studies. I hope I don't come off as rude here - but you clearly do not 'know enough.' If you did you wouldn't have posted the topic, let alone in this forum.

look up studies.

if you guys don't listen to me, then listen to what they have to say.

most studies say diet doesn't matter.

look up studies.

if you guys don't listen to me, then listen to what they have to say.

most studies say diet doesn't matter.

Same for you. YOU look up studies. Have you even read any, or are you just agreeing with what YOU were told?

Take a glance up at the pinned posts at the top of this forum. Open your eyes. Realize that hypertension, diabetes, alzheimer's, high cholesterol, depression, many illnesses are contributed to by and even in some cases, completely caused by food. Acne is the same. Be more open-minded.

I'm a Registered Nurse. I tell you there is a connection between diet and acne for many. I have 12 years nursing experience, too.

the only people who truly believe acne is not affected by diet are people who are unwilling to give up a diet of crap for a healthy one. These are the people who probably have food intolerances and have not yet determined their triggers. Try keeping a food diary. I will breakout within 3 days of eating something I'm not supposed to, but most of the time, I can feel it happening almost instantly.

Dermatologists etc want to sell expensive anti-biotics, they don't have shares in Fruit World, or Veggies R US, so if you run off and clear your skin with healthy food, they make no profits from that.

A study THIRTY YEARS AGO said that diet is not related to acne, it wasn't even controlled very well.

Stop being such a push over and stop listening to what everybody tells you.

I know for a fact if I go eat chocolate, OR cake, OR candy, OR this or that or this or that, today or tomorrow I'll break out, it is because of the food.

People trying to sell topicals aren't going to say "you don't need these topicals, just eat healthy" because they'll make no money.

Studies show that diet DOES affect acne for some people, for some it doesn't, but for the vast majority, it does.