Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
miss_pooh

About to start Accutane Support Group

Hey all! I'm so excited to start Accutane! I'll probably be able to start around October 10th. As of now, I'm just waiting for the stupid 30 day waiting period to finally end! :doubt: grrrr I'm so anxious!! Anyone have a list of items I should stock up on?? I know I'm getting Aquaphor for sure, and maybe CreAve?? I'll probably also get some fish-oil. Any suggestions would be great! :dance:

Hey everyone! I am on day 38-ish. Over the last day or so I have noticed my lips are extreemly dry, much drier then they were last week. My face is very dry too now...I have kept my lotion close at hand and have had to re-apply a few times during the day, good thing about the weekend is I can just put it on whenever because I dont typically wear makeup when I am just around the house. My dry spots that are bothering me is my chin, and the sides and underneath my nose. So far, I have not broke out from moving up to the 80mg. I have a couple new spots and one that is trying to turn into a cyst, Im hoping is just stays onder my skin and goes quietly lol. I have also noticed and increase in bleckhead around my nose and chin...kind of sucks, but those can be covered easily. My back still hurts...i dont think that is going to go away but it is managable for now. I did notice my hair looks like it is breaking so easily...I normally have a decent ammount of damage becasue my hair is always up in a up during work, and I put it up wet..but it just seemes like there are more split ends and more frizzys...nothing that my straightning iron wont fix though lol. In my last post I mentioned about my silver ring bothering me..well Friday night my belly started itching so I lifted my shirt and sure enough I had a Silver belly ring in, and it had irritated my skin just like my ring did...so i took it out and put a plastic ring in..never been sensitive to any type of metal before in my life..so its very odd. i want to put my ring back on but I dont want it to make me start itching like crazy again. :wall:

Lets_dance~ugh the dreaded 30 day waiting..it is so unfair! I hope it goes fast for you and you can get started and be on your way! :) Let's see, for stocking up...I use Nivea Kiss of Moisture(the one in the dark blue tube, there are two the one in the light blue tube isnt as moisturizing) I use that during the day, it works well for me for now. At night I use Aquaphor, I had bought a few other things to try at night, but in the end ended up buying Aquaphor because it worked better :) I use Cetaphil face wash, and when I need it Cetaphil facial moisturizer with SPF 15. When I was on 40mg/day I didnt need to use it too much, but now that i am on 80mg for month 2, I am using it more often the last couple days, I have been on 80mg for almost a week now, and the difference in dryness is insane lol. For body lotion I use Curel or Jhonson's baby lotion the lavender one (because it smells good) My body has not gotten too dry yet though. Eye drops, I use Systane for contacts...I want to get the Blink ones, Indygal on the board uses them and loves them...The Systane ones are ok, but I have to use them often. So I think that is about it :) good luck and I hope you stick around to let us know how you are doing :)

Indygal~I am on day 7 of my 80mg, and so far have not had another IB from it! Every morning I wake up and look in the mirror, and so ok good no bad breakout today lol. I hope that is the case for you when you start it. Like you siad the Prednisone should help keep anything that might come up under control! I could have used some of that last month! I had to laugh about the pill box comment that was funny! :):clap: I hopw you do well with your new dose! It has dried me out a ton more then the 40mg has in just one week!! Mostly my lips more then anything though. yes I am very active lol. that was my one of my main concerens about going on accutane was the joint pain! so far it is tolerable(on most days) but annoying, and i do get a ton more sore after running then I normally do and it takes me a few days to not be sore anymore.. I am just worried it will get to a point where it will be harder and harder for me to just push through it. I guess if it got to that point I could drop down to 40mg on even days and 80 on odd like my derm said, but at the same time i dont want to lower my dose either lol. :boohoo: (im done being whiney now lol)

Capt Ahab~How is the redness doing? I noticed the other day that my cheeks are redder then normal..almost like a sunburn. But the last couple days my skin has been dry..and I am bad about putting lotion on my face. Still cant get past that fear that I am going to break out from it.

2Kboss~I am totally with you on not wanting to talk about it with people. I had a boss once that would always ask me what was wrong with my face, and it used to make me so mad! i wanted to say what do you think is wrong with my face idiot! lol. I get tired fast too. I am a runner, and it take so much effort to keep up my normal pace and energy level. my lower back is also hurting too.

Miss_pooh~Sorry about your lips :( I noticed I have to put my Nivea stuff on way more often then I did. Are you using the one in the dark blue tube? The light blue one is fast absorbing and doesnt stay on too long. I still have to re-apply every hour and a half or so now that I am on the 80mg. Either way they wont help for swelling i dont think. My lips have not sweeled yet, but they are hurting. I want to try the Dr. Dan's too but I cant find it here and my derms office doesnt have samples of anything lol.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

day 8! I think my skin started drying out and peeling about 4-5 days into taking the pills. The first two days, my skin was oily... I actually noticed the middle of my bottom lip blistering while I was using my burts bee chapstick..since I left my chapstick in someone else's room I had to use vaseline since last night..and no more blistering...weird!! I have the flu i think...does anyone know if its okay to take cold meds while on this? I'm using claravis...i dont think they have accutane at the CVS i went to... AND it was a bigg bag I was given. I was like whoa, this is so much pills but its just 30 days..just big packaging lol. The first night I took it...I was kind of sore in my back while sleeping...I think my bones were hurting but it went away so Im okay. I'm actually very upbeat hahaaha about everything now..interesting. Well got to get back to doing homework..be back in a week when I get some free time :)

Hey Everyone!

WOW...it feels so comforting that ALL OF YOU are going through the same experience I am!

I am going in for my (hopefully final) appt Tuesday before I can get blood work and finally the Accutane perscription! I have to do the whole prego test thing yet. :boohoo: I wish females didn't have to jump through all the extra hoops! I feel sorry for us ladies!

I will be following this log and look forward to hearing everyones progress!

Even when it doesn't feel like it, remember you are SUCH a BEAUTIFUL person! Best of luck! Hang in there, the best is yet to come! :dance:

love, linds

Avicia: I have the ligt blue stick and it is def fast absorbing. I don't remeber seeing a dark blue bottle tho. Indy Gal recommended Dr. Dans and I def want to get it but I checked walmart and walgreens but none of the pharmacists have heard of it. I will see if my derm has samples when I go to my appt early next month. If not I guess I will just buy it online.

This wait is killing me october 15th is sooo far away why not make it 2 weeks instead of a whole month ? i mean i havent gotten any in a long time lol i know im not pregnant it just drives me crazy, sorry everyone im just venting. If this stuff works for me it will completely change my life i just wish i had taken it when i was younger things would be alot different for me now.... thanks for listening to me ramble.

Hi Everyone! For the first time in my life someone at work complimented me on my skin!! :dance::dance: One of the guys i work with asked me today what i have been doing different with my face. I said I have been on Accutane for about a month and a half now(then had to explain what accutane was lol). He said well I just wanted to tell you it is working, your complextion looks so much better!! I was floored!! I was so happy (and still am lol) Now i know for sure this stuff is working! That man will be my favorite person for a long time lol :) One of my old supervisors was standing next to us, and he said you just made her day and probably her year!! (he has known about my struggles to have clear skin so he knew how much it meant to me). Anyway that is my feel good story for the day :) My lips have seemed to triple in dryness overnight!! It is driving me insane lol..I had another cross country race this morning, and half way through the run i thought to myself...crap guess i need to run with my chapstick from now on...my lips got so dry and i had nothing with me to fix them lol.

Miss_pooh~Yea that light blue Nivea one is not good at all! I think I am going to have to order the Dr. Dan's too, my lips are just too dry..and no store around here has it, I have looked all over. :(

Heartfood~I have been feeling like I am getting the flu too, and was wondering the same thing. On top of feeling crappy, I just got my flu shot today too, I would imagine that will jump start me getting sick, as I normally get the flu from the flu shot lol...I would avoid it, but in the military and they say I have to get it so I got it lol. I used Accutane my first month, then got Claravis this month, and though the same thing lol...much mich larger packaging lol. I had 6 packs of 10 pills, and had a giant bag walking out of the pharmacy lol.

Lindsay~good luck at your appointment! Yea females have it bad with the waiting..iPLEDGE is horrible lol. Guys on accutane have it so much easier! That 30 day wait killed me it felt like it was going to last forever!

Avicia, that is awesome! That HAD to just make your day :clap: I feel you on the lip thing too....this is only my 4th day of the increase to 80mg dose and I can tell a big difference already....aquaphor and dr. dans are with me at all times lol! I can't remember who mentioned it in a previous post, but they said their pharmacy had dr.dans behind the pharmacy counter. Mine doesn't but thankfully my derm sells it. They also gave me some stuff called Chop Saver?? I haven't heard of it and haven't used it yet either, but I looked it up online. I might try that out too, the nurse raved about it (the dr dans stuff says to only use a few times a day, and I have to reapply lip stuff more often than that)!!

So I just have to say the prednisone has been amazing so far. This is the fourth day of that as well.....I wasn't planning to ask my derm for it, I figured I just needed to tough out the IB. But since he offered it and I have taken prednisone before for an inflammation in my throat with no bad side effects, I took him up on it. My face feels NORMAL already, doesn't hurt anymore, the inflammation and redness of the breakout have reduced SO much. My husband came home and asked me if I had put makeup on (and I hadn't). So feeling really good right now.

Other than dry lips, no issues. My face feels a little dry and tight right after washing, but moisturizer takes care of that right away. No peeling, flaking, headache, joint pain, etc. Eye drops a couple times of day and no problems with the contacts so far!

Hello all!

I am new here and on day 10 of Claravis. So glad I found you guys.

Miss Pooh, I have the same you had with the white things coming out of your pores. Looks like white stubble- yuck!

So far, I'm a little dry in the eyes and lips- but having a SUPER ITCHY scalp. Anyone else? It's flaking and everything.

ALso, some joint pain. Starting to feel like an old lady.

But hanging in there. It's only the beginning for me. :pray:

Hope you all are feeling well.

jennitata

40mg once a day

Hello all!

I am new here and on day 10 of Claravis. So glad I found you guys.

Miss Pooh, I have the same you had with the white things coming out of your pores. Looks like white stubble- yuck!

So far, I'm a little dry in the eyes and lips- but having a SUPER ITCHY scalp. Anyone else? It's flaking and everything.

ALso, some joint pain. Starting to feel like an old lady.

But hanging in there. It's only the beginning for me. :pray:

Hope you all are feeling well.

jennitata

40mg once a day

Hi Jennitata! Welcome and good luck to you! Dry scalp/dandruff is pretty common.....if you haven't already you might want to get some good dandruff shampoo. I haven't had any problems yet, but I've been using Nizoral AD shampoo a couple times a week since I started my course to hopefully prevent it. Using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner seems to help too.

Hey ladies! Quick question. Are any of you having problems with rashes on your arms? Mine is more than patches. I have irritation on my forearms and shoulders. Actually, my shoulders feel almost "chapped". I am trying to avoid going to the derm b/c I don't want to pay another co-pay this month. But, I might not have a choice. I have used some cortisone cream and sarna lotion. Nothing seems to be working. I am thinking of stopping all topicals and giving it a few days - maybe the sarna lotion is irritating it (which would be weird, it's supposed to be very mild and for eczema). Oh well, any suggestions would be lovely! THANKS!!!

Avicia: I AM SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! Now you know the pill is working :)!

jennitata: I know..i hate it. But i use st. ives apricot scrub every now and then when I feel like the white stuff is too much to bear. It really works..just try not to scrub too hard.

For you guys who are looking for a way to control the dry scalp try extra virgin olive oil. I tried it last week and it REALLY worked wonders. So here is what you do:

Before you wash your hair warm up some evoo (make sure you dont heat it up too much) and pour it over your hair. Be sure to massage your hair so that the oil gets to your scalp. Leave the evoo in your hair for about 30 minutes to hour. To rinse it out first shampoo your dry hair in order for the evoo to come out then you can wet it and wash like normal.

When I first heard about this I was a bit weary but it really does work.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by miss_pooh

Avicia~ Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions! That's really helpful :) I hope your course is going well.

Does anyone know if you need an appointment before you can pick up your prescription? I've had my blood test and then I know at the end of the 30 days you need a urine test. Is that all?? I'm so scared that I'm going to be missing something and have to wait even longer to get my prescription! :unsure: My mom is trying to assure me there isn't, but I dunno... As of now, I'm just counting down the days until October 10th, when I will hopefully be able to get it! 18 days!!

Hey Everyone!! I am new to Acne.org!

So a little background info. I have been struggling with acne since I was about 10 years old...it's been a long 13 years. I'm 23 right now and am so sick of my skin. It's been getting consistently worse as I have gotten older. It isn't severe by any means, but I have consistently bad skin every day and it gets worse around that time of the month. The worst part is that my acne isn't confined to just my face. I am lucky in that I don't have white heads or black heads, but very unfortunate that I get cysts. My skin is ALWAYS oily, even 10 minutes after a shower. I hate to use lotions, because it just makes me feel nasty. It's good to know that I am not alone in the world, although it sucks that you all have suffered just as badly, or even more than I have. There are days where I don't even want to leave my house because of the way I look. I am excited to be starting Accutane, hopefully, soon.

I finally got a referral from my doctor and had my first appointment with my new dermatologist today! :) I've tried everything I can think of to treat it, but nothing seems to work. I'm allergic to Benzyl Peroxide, so that ruled out a lot of treatments my derm was going to try. Needless to say, he wants to start me on Accutane. I had my blood work done today, and now I will wait the next 30 days. I'm slightly confused though. My derm didn't prescribe a birth control, even though I am not currently on any. Will this put off starting Accutane for another 30 days? Hopefully I will get more questions answered when I go back in on 10/22! If people can describe in detail the whole process of getting the ball rolling, I would really appreciate it. I need some assurance that I will be starting soon. Thanks a lot for you help, and hopefully, your support!

-Ryan

lets dance- do you mean an appointment with your derm? I did. I had to do the urine test in their office, then wait for it to be negative. Once it was, she handed me the written perscription and I went to the drug store! Make sure you log on and answer you I Pledge questions before you try to pick up your pills. Hope you don't have to wait much longer.

Ryan23- About the birth control: you usually have to get it from your Gyn. If you don't have one, your derm is supposed to refer you to one. He/She definitely should've gone over birth control with you- super important! Also, make sure your derm has enrolled you in the I Pledge program.

You wont have to wait another 30 days if your preg test comes back negative the next time you go in. But get birth control ASAP so you don't have to worry about it.

Good Luck! Oh, and welcome :angel:

Edited by jennitata

Ryan23- About the birth control: you usually have to get it from your Gyn. If you don't have one, your derm is supposed to refer you to one. He/She definitely should've gone over birth control with you- super important! Also, make sure your derm has enrolled you in the I Pledge program.

You wont have to wait another 30 days if your preg test comes back negative the next time you go in. But get birth control ASAP so you don't have to worry about it.

Good Luck! Oh, and welcome :angel:

Jennitata - Thanks for the info! I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing any steps. I want to get going ASAP. I go to my family doc and have already had my yearly pap, I guess that I could stop in @ my doctors office or call and see if he would prescribe a bc. Thanks for the heads up!

hello accutanerss,

well today is day 15 for me. So its safe to say im one of those people who get the IB lol ive been breaking out this past week like crazy, even on my forehead, which was relatively clear before i hoppd on accutane. Oh and theres like little black heads coming out from my neck, but mayb its my skin flaking lol my chin is the worst part lol, im gettin little bumps and they hurt like a bitch. My nose has been bombarded with blackheads, but i think theyre just finally coming out to the surface. Overall, the texture of my skn is pretty bad. Im still doing my thing though, my sis gave me this neutrogena healthy glow sheer..oil free ofcourse lol..it really covers up the big stuff. uhhh oh now for side effects, my eyes are so dry that i always look high lol lips are gettin dryerr by the day..umm...this past week i had slight headaches...bt they lasted like an hour so nothing i cant handle. As i said before, i work out, and let me just tell u its been so difficult to keep up with my old work out routine. my back kills me lol..and my legs hurt badly. im still working out though, just not as intense. Overall, im experiencing the IB, side effects are not so bad, and keeping the faith.

Avicia-thats great news. Its been months since i got a compliment on my skin lol hopefully soon ill be on the same boat as u! :]

bye evryone keep ur heads up and good luck!

Hey everyone! thanks everyone for the happy thoughts! :) My lips are so dry right now i want to tear them off lol. That is really the worst side effect for me right now. none of the other ones have gotten too much worse since moving to 80mg, except for my lips and my eyes and pretty dry too...I honestly can not go anywhere without my lip stuffs on 40mg i could get away with it a little more now I cannot. I couldnt even make it through an hour of soccer practice without re-applying. other then that everything seems to be going wellI am trying to figure out if I am getting the flu or the accutane is just making me feel crappy. Sometimes in the last few days I feel like i have a sore throat...ears hurting, normal flu symtoms but they are so mild it isnt enough to do anything about, except making me want to take NyQuil at night lol. Which i dont know if i can even take. That is pretty much it for me. I seem to be tolerating the 80mg pretty well...I wonder if my derm will leave me at 80mg the rest of my time or bump me up again, I dont know if my lips can take another increase though. That reminds me I need to call tomorrow andmake my follow up for next month.

2Kboss~my chin is my biggest problem area, I still have a decent ammount of blackheads, and tiny bumps. and about 4 spots that feel like they want to be cysts I am hoping they dont make it that far though. I have a lot of back pain too, and running pretty much sucks, but I keep doing it becasue I like too. but my times are for sure slower then normal. I had a lot of headaches my first 3 weeks, they kind of have not been too bad lately. Unless I dont drink enough water. Hang in there, It will get better :) I had my IB around the same time you are having yours. Mine lasted a week, and from there my skin has improved a lot.

Ryan23~Welcome to the board! :) Your acne sounds very similar to mine. I never broke out though til i was about 25. then it just got out of control and nothing worked to keep it undercontrol. I was on antibiotics for a long time, and couldnt stay on them any longer, so that is when my derm finally recommened Accutane for me. And I was finally hopeful that somethin would work, and it has been working very well so far. As for the birthcontrol thing, I already had an IUD, so all i had to do was pick my secondary form of BC, but i would call your derm back and ask about the BC and IPledge so it doesnt set you back any longer then the dreaded 30 day wait.

Miss_pooh~I think i might try the EVOO thing this weekend, my hair has been a ton drier then normal, and my scalp is itchy even using head and shoulders.

Lets dance~yes you will need another appointment for you derm to go over your blood work and enter it into IPLedge, then you have to answer your questions.(well maybe i shouldnt say yes, but that is what my derm did, maybe yours will just call and tell you that everything is good to go) make sure you have your IPledge card with you when you get your prescription too because they also have to go into IPledge and confirm your bloodtests, and that you answered your questions. I did my first set of bloodwork, then the day before my appointment had my 2nd set done so my derm had the results by the day of my appointment, When i went for my 2nd appointment he went over side effects and all the other info, he wrote my prescrition, i went home logged into IPledge and answered my questions then went to the pharmacy. On my second month, I went again the day before my apt, had my blood drawn, and then went through the same process again.

ld70~The only problem i had had with rashes was where i had a silver ring on and my silver belly ring, for some reason i cant wear anything silver it is breaking my skin out where ever it touches. I used hydrocortison on the spots that got rashy and it helped. Have you tried the Aveeno oatmeal Bath? That works for my sons eczema when his acts ups. I hope you feel better soon.

Jennitata~Welcome! I hope you course goes well! I had a lot of the white stuff coming out too the first 3 weeks on my face a chest, I used noxzema exfoliator but scrubbed very gently, and it helped it went away by week 4 for me.

indygal~I am glad the Prednisone is helping you out!! I wish i would have thought about asking for that when i went trhough my IB! :) My face feels the same as yours after I wash too. for the most part during the day it is ok. I have to put lotion on here and there on the sides of my nose and chin but that is it. That is awsome that your husband said that to you! :) aside from all the side effects, I am really pleased with what accutane is doing for my face and the rest of my body(back and chest) i actually wore a v-neck shirt the other day, I have not done that in years!!! I am going to ask the pharmacy if they have the Dr.Dans behind the counter, I have a feeling that my trusted Nivea is not going to be enough in a few days. Did you try the chop saver yet??

Was worried to have even one drink, so I just drank water. I don’t need to be any more dehydrated than I already am even with drinking over a gallon of water a day!

How are your eyes? Been using refresh. Somedays I don’t need to use it at all when humidity is high. I just hope that I can still get Lasik surgery done after I’m done taking this.

Avicia – how’s it going w/the 80? My derm just bumped me from 30 to 50…per my request. I’m ready to pick it up and kick this in the ass! I want to be done! Was chicken the first night, so tried it today (20 in am, 10 at lunch and 20 in PM). Oh yeah – they charged me two co-pays because I got two 20s and one 10s. So, if I would have gotten 5 10s, I would have had only one copay. That’s just crazy! almost done – less than seven weeks left. SO ready to be done!!!! Will definitely need to stop when the weather gets cold. I am going to celebrate by getting a box of munchkins from Dunkin donuts and eating the whole box by myself. That sounds SOO good.

Indygal – Can’t believe all that moisturizer you are using. I am still not using moisturizer and even still spot treating w/EBP. Any new cyst seems to go away quickly. I must have been must more oily than you. I am to the point where I only have wash my hair a few times a week. Before I always washed my hair everyday, sometimes even twice! Tried to get a prescrip for prednisone but she wouldn’t let me. I’m assuming she will call it in if need be. But thanks to you that was a good idea to ask.

Lips still an issue – Dr Dan’s and antifungal cream for the corners have been saving me. I’m ready to brush my teeth with adult toothpaste again! This toddler toothpaste is just not cutting it for me. That Nivea Kiss of Moisture (light blue) was worthless to me. Didn’t do much other than look nice for five minutes. On the Dr Dan’s even though it says to use a few times a day, I put on every five minutes sometimes and my derm was okay with that. I did find some behind the Meijer pharmacy counter. Also, one of our Walgreens had some with the other lip balm stuff. Both pharmacies said they could order extra if I wanted m ore.

I don’t know how some of you can exercise/run/play soccer/etc.! I’ve tried some exercising (simple stretches, crunches, leg /armlifts, squats, swimming, playing tag, etc.) and I feel like I was hit by a truck the next day. I hope it’s attributed to the TANE and not me just getting old! My toddler tells me I’m just old. Thanks.

Still have all the little white bumps under my lower lip on chin. Can’t see unless right up in the mirror. How are yours? Getting any better? I wonder if I could just scrap them off or just a clarisonic. Anyone use a clarisonic (sp?) while on accutane? Don’t know if that would be too harsh.

I had a few dry patches (one on arm one back of neck) just used lots of lotion….lathered it on. Went away in two days.

Good luck to everyone. Side effects suck, but accutane rocks and is totally worth it! I hope I continue that attitude

Hi everyone.....

Ld70, I wasn't having any issues on my arms, but right before my last derm appt, I was getting some blotchy, red itchiness on my lower neck and chest. He was going to give me a prescription cortisone cream, but then when he decided to give me prednisone he said that would take care of it...and it did. He also said keeping a good moisturizer on would help.

Miss pooh, I've been using jojoba oil in my hair mixed with my conditioner as well as a few drops on the ends as a leave in. I'll have to try the evoo to see how that works, plus it would be cheaper and easier to get a hold of than the jojoba.

Avicia, I think my husband was just being nice when he asked if I had makeup on...it was obvious I wasn't because I always wear eye makeup, I think it was his way of saying I didn't look as red and swollen LOL! My skin is by no means looking great, but I am still amazed by the results of the prednisone...even if it's only temporary, it's given me some relief for sure and hopefully gives time for the 80mg to kick in and start taking over. On dosage, my derm said he wants to try and keep me at 80 for the rest of the course, depending on how things go of course. When I calculated my cumulative dosage with what my course it supposed to be, it's way more than the minimum, so I hope I don't need to bump up dosage any more than 80. I did 40mg for month one, then the plan is 80mg for 4 months. So that works out to 10,960mg total. At my weight of 130ish/roughly 60kg, that would put me at 183 mg per kg and that's probably more than needed!! If I figured that out right anyway lol....the "norm" I guess is 120-150 mg per kg??

K2boss-the IB sucks, but hopefully it will be fast for you!

let's dance/ryan23, sounds like you are getting all your bases covered for starting, so good luck!

mert, glad your lips are doing better and you can go back to "big girl" toothpaste lol! I'm so jealous you only have 7 weeks left and hope the bump in dose gives the acne ass kicking you are looking for :dance: By the way, I did the brown sugar scrub on my lips last night and it was great! I just felt like I had all this dead skin on my lips and that really smoothed them out! For the moisturizer thing, it wasn't a huge switch for me, I moisturized twice a a day before accutane anyway, so it was just switching to something a little more rich. My derm is one of those that says keeping moisturized helps with oil production and promotes better healing....he always tells me not using moisturizer will make my skin produce more oil to compensate. But then if you ask 10 different derms, you probably get 10 different answers right :rolleyes: lol. Oh, and I have a clarisonic with the most sensitive brush head, but I haven't been using it. I was afraid it might be too harsh too, I'm probably going overboard on the gentleness thing, but don't want to cause any irritation.

Edited by indygal

Hey ladies! For those of you asking about the clarisonic - I have used mine sparingly. I use it maybe once or twice a week - it just depends on whether I need some mild exfoliation. I use the most sensitive brush with it. It's pretty mild and not irritating at all. Good luck!

Hey guys! Haven't been on in awhile....

I had my month follow-up yesterday and what a disaster! Derm decided to leave me on 40mg, which is fine. Had my bloodwork and went home. Derm calls this morning and says the kit they used to do my pregnancy test was faulty and I needed to go have one drawn ASAP. (My derm is 75 miles from home and about 120 miles from my work, so I had to go locally.) I went to a lab near my job and the stupid lady hit a nerve drawing my blood! My arm is bruised and so sore I can hardly move it. Plus I have been out of pills since yesterday and I can't get them until the bloodwork comes back on Monday. So frustrating!

My lips have been driving me insane. I bought some of the regular Blistex in the white and red squeeze tube and that has really helped the flakiness. Then I alternate Dr. Dan's, Aquaphor, and Nivea KoM to help with moisture. Not a perfect system but it's working for now.

I got my nose pierced last Saturday and it's so cute! I know that's an Accutane no-no, but I have wanted it done for years and decided to see if it would heal okay. So far no problems, but if my skin gets much drier I have a feeling I'll have to take it out.

Anyway, hooray for month 2! This hasn't been too bad so far, though I do wish he would increase the dose if he's going to. I would rather have the side effects now than later in my course. I just hope they hurry up and get me entered in ipledge on Monday!

So I'm on day 29, and had a check up a day or two ago. The doctor said he would put me on 60(avg) daily if I would like to. I said I would and he told me if i became too dry just to take 40 a day again. Sounds lenient and reasonable so I'm happy.

So after drinking again yesterday, either my alcohol tolerance has gone way down, or this is why they don't recommend drinking while on Accutane. A hangover after 6-7 beers??? REALLY???

As for progress/effects; My back is becoming very smooth, my derm seemed excited when he saw it. The skin by my elbows is peeling, I became very exited when I saw it :rolleyes:. The acne I had/have on my neck, jawline, is leaving post inflammatory marks that would turn any chick on :think: . One new concern I have is that I feel my hair is becoming very brittle and dry. Should I be using a conditioner or.... something?

Other than all that I'm ready for month 2. Hope everyone is doing well!

hey! i'm really struggling on this accutane, i'm a month and a half in and my skin is just getting worse. my skin cleared within two weeks on accutane and then after that just continues to get worse and worse. I'm trying to look on the bright side of things but it just isn't working, i count down the minutes until i'm off of it, i'm totally obsessed. I also am having an extremely hard time with not drinking on accutane. I go to college that has a big party environment and it's killing me. I have drank on it but I'm trying not to because I'm on a higher dosage now. I go home on the weekends just so i don't drink because it's almost impossible not while at school. So basically i have bad skin and can't drink and come home every weekend to avoid drinking. This is horrible I just want these next three and a half months to go by quick, i don't know if i can last...

I'm calling my Derm on Monday to make sure everything is set. I'm also going to ask my family doctor to write a prescription for BC as well. They say you have to be on BC for one month, but I don't see why it has to be 30 days exactly when I will have already taken the pregnancy tests. As long as they are negative, what is the problem? Anyway, wish me luck!!

If everything goes as planned, Approx. 25 days!