Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
miss_pooh

About to start Accutane Support Group

Happy Friday :dance:

Mert, I have a lot of those little white bumps on my chin and sides of my mouth. They were there before I started though, but you could only see them when I stretched the skin out. Now I think they are all coming out or something....because they are more noticeable/raised :rolleyes: Are you happy with your results so far? I am hoping for the month three "magic" as people keep calling it lol.

Avicia, good to hear the race didn't send you running for the Advil lol. Oh and btw, I called my eye doctor today to ask if there were any drops they recommend for accutane users with contacts (I'm still loving those Blink drops for contacts and use them every day, but am worried about when I double my dose later this month that I might need something else). That's actually the brand they tell people about....and they also told me that Blink has some thicker "gel" tears that I can use at night when I take my contacts out. So I picked some up at CVS and will try those out too.

ld70, I have a dental appt coming up this month too....good to know your lips survived it :D I wonder how many other accutane patients have sat through their cleaning with a tube of aquaphor in their hand, lol. Good idea, I'm sure I will have to too.

Day 10 here..and my face looks worse than ever :mad: !!! Do you guys think that it is weird that I am getting my IB so soon into my treatment? Maybe this isn't even my IB? Well whatever it is I hope it goes away soon because my face looks a mess!! I am seriously considering spot treating with tretinoin..what do you guys think?

Well with all of the complaining out of the way lol...I haven't really been experiencing much side affects except for my dry lips.

Hope you guys are still doing fine ;) .

Day 10 here..and my face looks worse than ever :mad: !!! Do you guys think that it is weird that I am getting my IB so soon into my treatment? Maybe this isn't even my IB? Well whatever it is I hope it goes away soon because my face looks a mess!! I am seriously considering spot treating with tretinoin..what do you guys think?

Well with all of the complaining out of the way lol...I haven't really been experiencing much side affects except for my dry lips.

Hope you guys are still doing fine ;) .

Hey Miss Pooh! I went to my derm I think around day 12 to have a couple cortisone injections and he said it looked like I was having "the flare up" as he called it, so I don't think day 10 is too early, unfortunately. I was breaking out pretty bad before I started though, so for me, I couldn't really tell much difference lol. I had started using Ziana (tretinoin/clindamycin topical) about 5 or 6 weeks before accutane, and that was really making my face a mess!! If it's more/worse than what you normally get, I would say it probably is the start of the IB :cry: Hang in there, it really sucks I know!

For spot treating, the first week or two, I did use a mild BP on some spots but for me anyway, the spots still came out, and it only seemed to dry/irritate the skin so I stopped. But I know a lot of people do, I posted another thread asking if people spot treated.

Hello everyone! Well, I am down to my last pill for the first month!! I am skipping today so i can take the last one one tomorrow I had to skip everyother day since Wednesday so i didnt run out lol, then I will have my bloodwork done Monday morning, and my appointment is at 130pm on Monday, so hopefully, my blood work, and Ipledge and the pharmacy will all go well, and i can start month 2!! I am getting nervous again like i did before i started, worrying that my blood tests will be off, or ipledge, will be, well Ipledge, or that just something wont work out right...My lips are hurting, they are dry, but towards the inside of my lips if its almost like they are starting to crack more then the rest of my lips. The aquaphor seems to help that though, but it is hard to get it where it hurts cause then i feel like i am eating it lol, like i am putting it inside my mouth almost hehe. I ran into a girl at the pharmacy the other day when i was picking up some more pain meds for my husbands knee, she had an Ipledge card in hand, so I of course had to ask. lol. She is on her last month(6 months on accutane she said), and her skin looked Amazing! she had a picture in her purse of her and her husband from right before she started and i couldnt believe the difference...It gave me tons of hope, and through out her treatment she said her worst side effects were her lips and eyes! it was nice to see someone in person that had such great results! She was up to 80mg, I asked her if she had an IB everytime she moved up a dose, and she said she didnt, only the first month she was on accutane she did. Has anyone else noticed their motivation level in the crapper? It takes me so long to just want to get up tp dp anything lol. I dont know if it is the Accutane or what, but I am normally a very much on the go person, and lately I just dont want to go anywhere lol. I am not depressed or anything, i just feel like when anyone asks if I want to go do this or that, that i am inclined to say...eh, I dont feel like it lol.

Indygal~Ya know, I went to the eye doctor on Wednesday and totally forgot to ask about drops, mainly becasue my apt was at 9am and i wasnt seem until almost 10. so i was irritated and just wanted to get my prescrition so i could get my glasses ordered. lol Funny thing about military clinics...i can not be a second late to an apt or i get in trouble...and miss my appointment on top of it. but many times patients can sit long beyond their appointment time..and all you can do is sit and wait lol. Anyway, i have not found the blink drops for contacts, I have seen the blink gel ones at CVS. But i cant find the ones that say for contacts. I still have to check Walgreen's and Publix. For now the Systane ones are ok. But if i move up to 60mg next month i dont think they will be. i might pick up the gel ones too for at night after i take my contacts out like you said. Accutane prescriptions should come complete with the best chapstick, and eye drops out there lol :) They can just add them in the bag when you get it at the pharmacy :lol:

Miss_pooh~I had what i hope was my IB around day 12. it lasted about a week. When i first started Accutane, i was hard for me to not use topicals still becasue it was habit..years of doing it was hard to just stop lol. It was hard for me to stop using soaps with acne treatments in them too, and just switch to plain old face wash. when my face went crazy around week 2, i did spot treat with some clyndamyacin(sp) and some Differin. I dont know if it helped them go away faster or not, but it did dry the cysts out, and made my face very dry, on top of it already being dry from the accutane. After the IB went away, I have had no new cysts since then (knock on wood) all I have gotten now are quite a few small little bumps that are easily covered with makeup. Most of them are concentrated on my chin, jawline, and a tiny bit on my cheeks. ,I hope it goes away fast for you I know it sucks! :(

i figured i join the group lol...anyways..i will be popping my first pill tomorrow..so excited and ready for it! oh yeah...im a 20 year-old guy..college student..and broke. lol..bt yea..i got evrything i need...blistex nd cetaphil moisturizer. I will get eyedrops as soon as the effects start to kick in.

I have a few questions. Can u smoke during the treatment? i smoke shisha (hookah) occasionally..and cigs when im drunk , but that wont be happening though haha. :/ so much for the college life lol

oh, what time of the day is better to take the pill? i was thinking during lunch; thats when i usually eat greasy food.

i go to the gym at least 3 days a week, should i take it easy from now on?

thanks evryone, and im looking forward to updating my progress here! woo

:]

I smoked some hookah yesterday, no noticeable effects, and I'm pretty sure hookah/cigs were not cautioned against. I was also drinking, which while not recommended, isn't too horrible for you. When I asked my derm about drinking he said don't do it the day before appointments because it will throw the tests out of whack, and he said not to do it too much. So ... :think: it's not going to kill me. Although, while I'm not entirely sure because I was drunk, I don't think I consumed as much alcohol as I usually can, and I was thoroughly hung over today.

On working out, I don't know where all of your acne is, but its known that your skin doesn't heal as fast while on accutane, so to avoid breakage and scarring I'm avoiding things that put too much pressure on my back and shoulders (bench/squats) till the cysts are gone. Also you recover from your workouts a bit slower (muscle recovery that is).

Im starting accutane in 3 weeks! OMG i cant wait but at the same time im scared because the side effects are so unpredictable because everyone is diff. I know ill get the dryness but im wondering what else. And will this be my cure or will it fail!? Well ill keep yall updated.. Goodluck everyone :) This support group is awesome

day 82 of 140 here. I upped my dose 10mg last week. Now I'm taking 40mg. I never had an IB. I think I just did though when I upped it. chin, jawline, upper side of neck, one on each high cheek bone, (All these places cysts), then few more on cheeks...never got acne on cheeks before. Maybe it's due to increasing the dose?!?!

I really need to do the teeth cleaning. my lips are better, but not sure if I'm ready to have my mouth open that long. i thike i have two cavities now, but I really shouldn't be surprised since i switched to a toddler brush and toddler toothpaste. still very reluctant to use real tootepaste due to the severe reaction. if i can only hold on two months longer!

Hello! I just started taking my Pills this morning.... 20mg. And I forgot you were not suppose to wax, so i went to get my eyebrows waxed, but nothing really happened, so I guess it's too early for sensitive skin. But definitely going to remember to not wax them for ...5 months...ugh.

Day 21.... I am having an absolute outbreak of eczema! I have bumps everywhere, can't even shave my legs right now, and I am itching like crazy. I've been using Neosporin for now and it helps, but this is SO uncomfortable. I go back to the derm on the 24th and I'm hoping he'll have some miracle cure for this.

Other than that, no breakouts or side effects. Dr. Dan's has saved my lips and they actually feel normal right now.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Hi everyone! I had my appointment today. Everything went well..blood work is fine, Ipledge didnt give me a hard time(thank god) and I got my pills. My derm upped me from 40mg to 80mg!! I was kind of shocked a little. I expected to up to 60mg. So he told me to take one in the morning and one in the evening. He said if it gets to be too much with side effects I can go down to taking 40mg once a day on even days and 80mg on odd days. But if that is still too much i have to call him. He told me he likes to "push the envelope" on dosage to make sure i get a good overall dosage. i was thinking in my head ok...this guy is silly! I asked him if I would have anotherbad breakout moving up that much, and he sadi i shouldnt..he was happy with my progress so far, I am too. I am worried about moving up that much though. I hope if i handle this dosage well he doesnt move me up anymore, I cant imagine going any higher then 80mg. I only weigh about 115lbs lol. I also went from using Accutane(brand name) to claravis. I guess the pharmacy ran out finally of the regular Accutane. The pills look so much different lol. And the packages are so much bigger! Since i got 6 packs of 10, the pharmasist hands me this gigantic bag over the counter, and i was like good lord how many packs are in there. They are almost double the size of the Accutane boxes. So anyway month one down..and into month two! Hopefully my side effects dont go too crazy moving up so much. My back has been killing me lately! I couldnt tell if it was from switching jobs and sitting at a desk all the time or what...but the derm said accutane will or could rather cause low back pain. hope the 80mg doesnt leave me hurting too bad. My derm said Motrin is fine to take and heating pads too will help.

Zen~:( im sorry you are having a hard time. There are a lot of creams for Eczema(my 6y/o has it)..i wonder if your derm can give you any of those while on accutane. Try Eucerin cream that is in the tub...and also the Aveeno oatmeal bath is awsome for itchy skin, I use that for my kids when they get mesquito or ant bites...or when my sons eczema is acting up. Maybe you can use benedryl too at night. I hope it gets better for you. I think i might order some of that Dr. Dans. I cant find it anywhere in any store around here. I am sure the 80mg/dday is going to wreak havoic on my lips!!

Heartfood~welcome to the group! I am on month two and i hate that i cant wax my eye brows been having it done for years and years now! I went and got them done right before i started my course...and now i just go in and have them plucked or I pluck em at home. If you can find a place that Threads you can do that. No where around where I live does it. :( I am not even going to chance to try and wax, when i was on retin-A i had my skin tear a little bit and it hurt...lol. no one told me not to wax while on retin-A, I found out the hard way. So, I am too chicken even try it on Accutane. lol. But yea on day one or so I wouldnt imagine it would have any effect yet..

Mert~I am hoping that I dont have any dental appointments come up untill after my Accutane course and after my lips get better! I dont even want to think about trying to sit through a cleaning. My IB was the same as yours...I broke out on my cheeks which was normally the only somewhat clear spot on my face. It didnt last too long though, so just hang in there :)

Collegegirl~Welcome to the group. My side effects have not been too too bad. Dry lips, dry eyes, and low back pain. The back pain has not been so bad that i cant do normal things that I do, just an annoyance really. Good luck when you start that wait stinks!!

Hey everyone! Like Avicia, I also had my one month check today. I saw the nurse practioner because my PA is on maternity leave. My labs were great and she is very happy with my progress. She said to stay at 40mgs and probably for the rest of course given my size (115lbs) and that I should do the entire 5 mos. course. I am wondering if my PA will say anything different since providers tend to have no consistent way of prescribing this medicine.

It was interesting, she said that 2 weeks after the end of my course I need to start some type of topical retinoid. She said that it helps reduce the chance of the acne coming back. She said there is a 40% chance with no topical and only 10% with a topical. Again, there is simply no consistency on how this drug is administered and the follow-up protocol. I have no issue with using topicals as long as they don't create any new problems!

So, one month down, four to go! I can't believe I made it through the first month. As far as side-effects, I have been pretty red - like the sunburn look people refer to. I guess I need to moisturize more according to the nurse practitioner. She actually suggested I use a very light layer of vaseline on my face at night and it would help (she said no aquaphor - it would break you out). I admit, I have not done a lot of moisturizing since starting my course. Just a bit here and there. I still can't wrap my head around using it. I guess I'm going to have to get over it! But, I don't think I will use vaseline... Other than the red face, my lips bug me to death. They alternate between chapped and swollen. I get headaches once in a while and some very minor joint pain in one shoulder and a bit of low back pain on one side. But, nothing that can't be tolerated.

Avicia - good luck with the 80mgs. At least you know you can back off if you can't tolerate it. I was mentally preparing myself for a bump today, but it didn't happen which I was secretly relieved about.

To everyone else (mert, zen, heartfood, collegegirl) hang in there!!! I know we all have different side effects and they totally suck. Just keep in your head that it's all for clear skin and it will be worth it in the end. I think having the first month under your belt is a relief! I hope everyone has a great week.

Hey everyone....congrats to Avicia and ld70 on finishing month one! Funny how you weigh the same but your derms are taking 2 different approaches.....I agree ld70 that there doesn't seem to be any consistency with the way this drug is prescribed! I go in this Friday for my checkup and am supposed to bump to 80mg if all goes well, so Avicia keep the posts coming...you know I'm going to be watching your updates to know what I'm in for since you're a week ahead of me LOL!

Welcome to the newcomers and good luck!

Day 22 here, nothing much new. Still breaking out....it's so weird how fast things change. One day I think hey, things are not looking too bad/seeming to calm down, and the next day I have 5-6 new pimples, ugh! I have definitely been making a BIG effort not to touch or pick. But it's so hard, I have done it for years and it's a hard habit to break! It just seems to make things look so much worse now when I mess with bumps, and then they get so red, peely and dry and then leave a nice red mark. What I have done and seems to work (sorry this is gross) with those yucky whiteheads, is to just barely/gently prick the surface with a sterilized sewing needle before getting in the shower. This seems to help it drain without squeezing.

Definitely not at all oily anymore either, haven't blotted for a few days. No other side effects, just dry lips and eyes. Skin color still kind of pink.....using moisturizer/spf mixed with a little jojoba oil during the day and CeraVe at night, seems to be doing OK for now.

Hey guys! I haven't posted anything in a while because I was just playing the waiting game and didn't have anything to add. But...I got my prescription yesterday! She put me on Clavaris 40mg twice a day, so I've finally gotten to start it. My dermatologist is very postitive this is going to work and I hope she is right. I had already switched my cleanser and moisturizer to the Aveeno gentle cleanser in preparation. She said my skin is so oily I may not need the moisturizer, but after reading everyone's posts here, I'm almost afraid not to use it.

Now, another question for those who have been using this for a while...how soon did you start noticing your skin beginning to dry out? My skin is so oily, I am looking forward to this part!

I noticed my skin drying out immediately - like the next day. It was nice! had dry skin for a couple weeks (eventually did use a little oil-free moisturizer but only for a few days). then, the oiliness came back.... and it came back BAD. then it got dry again, not too bad though. i am still NOT using moisturizer, still spot treating w/erythromycin benezoyl peroxide, and i'm on day 80 somthing.

That is bizarre about being told not to use aquaphor. My derm told me to lube it up at night with aquaphor as my pores would not get clogged on accutane. i thought she was nuts. i did use it a few days before my face turned into an oil pit, so maybe that was the reason why i was so oily. what the heck? seriously = these docs need to get together and write some reviews and pointers on what should be used etc.!!! It would be very helpful to patients.

I second the Dr Dan's being awesome! don't think i'd still be on it w/o that corti-balm.

my joints are getting worse - knees, ankles, wrists, hands. have worse lower back pain but it's tolerable. i feel like my body is aging so quickly during these couple months. when i get up from my chair at work I feel like I'm walking like an old lady!

80 mg at 115lbs seems high, but if you can tolerate it, by all means go for it! I definitely wish i could handle 80 o get that much in at once! I am trying to push myself. I was agressive one day last week and took 50mg (at 90lbs). I could tell the next days with my lips pulsating and throbbing, so went back down to 40 - 10 in morning and 30 in evening.

I haven't drank in years, but I so want to be able to have just one drink at a party this week. Probably only because if you tell me I can't do it, then I'll just want it that much more.

Took my preschooler swimming tonight - first time I've been in pool water since this treatment. we'll see if it dries my skin out.

I'm ready to be done. Almost 2/3 done......YIPPEE!

You guys have a good week! Keep us posted on how the up'd 80 dose goes!

Hi everyone! Well I am 2 days into my 80mg jump...and there isnt too many differences yet..other then my back hurting a bit more. I would imagine tomorrow my body is going to be a mess lol. I had a pretty tough workout this morning, and then came home from work and mowed my lawn lol. I am pretty well beat. My back was killing me about half way through mowing..I bought some of those heating pad you can just stick to your back they last about 8 hours. i got them from CVS. those things are a godsend...I wore one at work today and it helped so much!! Since starting accutane i swear i have been in CVS more in the last month then I have in the year prior lol..i should get a frequent buyers discount :) Oh, i did notice this morning when I was doing push-ups this morning..every bone in both of my arms were cracking...it sounded like popcorn popping. never did that before so I can only assume it is accutane related. It didnt hurt, just sounded gross lol. Soccer started yesterday, I have a good group of kids this time..I cant think of a team name yet lol. I always have a hard time with that...I always ask the kids, some answers i get back from 5, 6, and 7 year olds crack me up!!!!! But very odd thing, my back was killing me before practice, so much that i was begging for it to rain so we wouldnt have practice...but it oddly enough made my back feel a lot better. Maybe i was just having too much fun to notcie it lol.

Mert~I agree that there needs to be more consistency with derms. seems like they all just do their own thing with accutane patients..the only consistency is IPledge, and well we all know what a pain that is lol. I am a little worried about not being able to tolerate the 80mg's...I am hoping I can, like i said I have only been on 80mg for 2 days, so I cant tell anything yet...My back pain is the main thing i am worried about it was already getting bad at 40mg. As far as drinking...I had a few drinks on my birthday about 3 weeks ago...nothing seemed to happen different other then being really dehydrated the next day. I have not drank anything since. I am not a big drinker either. I took my kids to the beach when i was on like week one...I didnt go in the water though...how did your skin end up handeling the pool water?

LisaDawn~Hey! good to see you around again! and yippee you finally started! I hope everything goes well for you! i was on the brand name Accutane for month one..i started my second month Monday and I am using claravis now too. I am only using Moisturizer when i absolutly need it..when i have used it I have not broke out, but since it normally does break me out, it is just a fear of using it lol. for a while there i was having to use it a lot...but that was also while i was still trying to spot treat at the same time, my skin was flaky and everything. So I try really hard to resist the desire to spot treat. For me, my skin went from oily to absolutly no oil on around 10 day. and none since!

Indygal~I still cant find the CeraVe anywhere around here, I keep looking everytime i am out and about. Maybe next time I am at CVS I will just ask if they have it. I hope your appointment Friday goes well! I will make sure I keep you updated so you know what you are in for. :) I am still working on the no picking thing too, you are not kidding it is hard to break that habit! I have been doing pretty well, mostly because i have not gotten any new cysts lately and those are the ones I always tend to pick at. I have a lot more smaller bumps too. quite a few on my cheeks where i normally dont break out. On the upside compared to what I looked like a month ago..it is much improvement :)

ld70~I was secretly hoping not to be bumped up too much, i was prepared for 60mg...shocked at 80mg! But, i felt better about it when he said i can alternate between 40mg and 80mg if i have too. Also I feel better about having so many pills on hand becasue if i run into the same problem next month as I did this month, i will for sure have enough to not have to go any days with out taking at least 40mg lol. My derm has not talked to me about what my treatment will be after Accutane. I wonder what his approch will be since like you said..there is no consistency lol. I am ok with using a topical too, as long as it keeps me clear, i will be happy :) Vasaline? yikes! I am scared to use cetaphil moisturizer on my face for fear of breaking out or getting oily, Vasaline would be like a death sentence to my face i would think! hehe. I am with you, I wouldnt do it no matter how dry my face got :) My lips are annoying me too..mine have not swelled up, but they are dry as dry can me..I am worried the 80mg is going to make them bleed...so i am literally putting my nivea on my lips all the time!! and them goop on the aquaphor at night. Thankfully my eyes have been holding up well enough that my contacts are ok still...a couple weeks and my glasses will be in..at least then i can take my contacts out at night that is the only time they bother be to the point I want them out!

I hope everyone is having a good week!

Hi all!

LisaDawn-Good luck! Wow, starting out at 80mg....none of that gradual easing in stuff from your derm huh? LOL. My oily grossness :D started drying up after a my first several days, then came back. Then dried up again probably about a week or so ago maybe (I'm on day 24 of 40mg)?? and has been dry since then, no blotting during the day at ALL and makeup staying on all day :dance:

Mert/Avicia, I am amazed you guys aren't having to moisturize much/at all!! My skin was pretty oily before starting, but now it pretty much cries out for moisture after washing! I am slathering on morning and night and my face just soaks it right up. Avicia, I am still loving the CeraVe...I never thought I would enjoy glopping CREAM all over my face lol but it feels great. Sorry you can't find it...last time I was at CVS they were out of the cream and just had the lotion....so I ordered some from drugstore.com for my mother in law, she has been having problems with psoriasis. Mert, my derm told me the same thing about basically you can't clog your pores while on accutane. Probably just to shush me up since I am a freak about products clogging my pores and always ask a lot of questions about what's OK to use lol.

ld70, I haven't talked to my derm yet about post accutane, but I think I am going to see about a retinoid as well.....maybe retin a micro. I want to do whatever I can to keep things clear after, assuming accutane works and GETS me clear :pray: I haven't had good luck with them in the past, they just seem to make things worse and red and more inflamed. Granted, I didn't stick it out for the full length of time because I just couldn't take the breakouts they caused. But I think it might be better starting out clear....plus they're supposed to be good for red marks and fine lines, etc.

Oh, Avicia....with the 80mg, are you taking 40 twice a day? My derm told me I could take it all at once if I wanted to when my dose goes up, which I thought was odd. But I think I will probably take it twice a day anyway...that will force me to eat something with some fat morning and night lol. I've lost some weight lately, probably just nerves and stressing over this fun IB I'm having. I don't weigh myself often, but when I got on the scale today, I was at 127 lbs. At 5'9" on my frame, that's low for me and don't want to lose anymore!

Day 20 today!

Yesterday, and today, after having a negligible redness to my face for about a week and a half, my face became very red. Like the girl from Willy Wonka who gets turned into a blueberry and is blue... but red.

I wonder if there will be cycles of redness/non redness. Either way, I ordered that Aveeno feverfew lotion on Amazon immediately.

My eyes are getting to be dry most of the time now. Sometimes I don't notice the effects, other times my eyes are so red I feel like everybody thinks I've been smoking illegal things. Accidentally getting water in my eyes, like in the shower, will sting. Products I've tried.

Visine Original Redness Relief: Does not make eyes feel better. I have no idea if it helps with the redness, didn't notice much. Not extraordinarily useful, pretty cheap eye relief. Rating: 1/5

Similasan Dry Eye Relief: Makes eyes feel better for a tolerable period. Much better than visine, costs a bit more. Rating: 3/5

Anybody know of some miracle eye drops?

Day 20 today!

Yesterday, and today, after having a negligible redness to my face for about a week and a half, my face became very red. Like the girl from Willy Wonka who gets turned into a blueberry and is blue... but red.

I wonder if there will be cycles of redness/non redness. Either way, I ordered that Aveeno feverfew lotion on Amazon immediately.

My eyes are getting to be dry most of the time now. Sometimes I don't notice the effects, other times my eyes are so red I feel like everybody thinks I've been smoking illegal things. Accidentally getting water in my eyes, like in the shower, will sting. Products I've tried.

Visine Original Redness Relief: Does not make eyes feel better. I have no idea if it helps with the redness, didn't notice much. Not extraordinarily useful, pretty cheap eye relief. Rating: 1/5

Similasan Dry Eye Relief: Makes eyes feel better for a tolerable period. Much better than visine, costs a bit more. Rating: 3/5

Anybody know of some miracle eye drops?

Hey Captain Ahab! LOL, cracking up at the willy wonka comment....moisturizing should help. I have dry eyes too (and wear contacts). I have been using Blink drops, they have several different kinds, whether you wear contacts or not. I called my eye doctor and told them I was on Accutane to see what they recommended, and that is the brand they always tell people to use. So far so good...I like them. I use the ones for contacts once or twice a day and am not having any problems. They have a thicker, gel formula drop too that I use at night after I take my contacts out. You can get them at the drugstore or online, not too expensive either. Hope that helps!

Hey everyone. My body feels like i have been hot by a truck! thank goodness it is my turn to skip PT tomorrow lol. I have another cross country race on Monday..I need to recover after PT yesterday and yard work, and soccer today lol. My lips seem signifacntly more dry then yesterday. They kind of hurt. Other then that nothing new so far...on day 3 of my 80 mg dose, have not notice any more spots and no new cysts (knock on wood) I am hoping that I dont have another breakout from going up so much. Oh, here is a stange thing that is happening..I wear a silver ring on my right hand..I have worn it for about 3 years...i dont take it off ever! 2 days ago my hand started itching where my ring is...now all on my finger where the ring is, is all broke out..and it itches like crazy! I wonder why it is irritating my skin now, and never ever has before. I hope that is goes away..i currently have a bandaid on, and the ring over my band aid lol.

Indygal~I am taking 40mg 2 times a day...In the morning I take it with Milk..I am not a big breakfast eater lol...then at night i take it right after dinner. My derm said I could take them both at the same time, but he would prefer, and recommends taking them at different times. so I am lol. I have notice my appitite being in the dumps lately too, alsmost like i have to force myself to eat sometims cause I am not hungry. I have to weigh in on Monday, we have too once every 3 months in my squadron. I guess I will see if I lost wieght, not that i want too because I have a hard time keeping weight on as it is..I always have. oh, and after i wash my face it does feel very tight, and I probably should put moisturizer on it then...i am just so chicken to do it too much because of breaking out every time I used moisturizer in the past lol..I know I need to get over it! :) I think I might order the Cerave cream on the internet and try it out. I checked Publix today and they dont have it. But since i am so in love with my Nivea Kiss of Moisture, I found one called Nivea Kiss of Relief SOS. i am going to try it tonight. Its so crazy, i never used to check the lotion isle or chap stick isle before, now i am like hmmm i wonder what new stuff they have lol.

Capt Ahab~I use Systane drops for contacts, I have been trying to find the Blink ones for contacts but i cant find them yet. The Systane one are pretty good, but I would like to find something that lasts longer. I have never liked regular visine too much it always seemed to burn and dry my eyes out more. I have not gotten too much redness yet. sometimes, i seem to get flushed a little, but it goes away pretty quick, but it is like I can just feel my face to get hot, and then it stops. What is your dosage? If you dont mine me asking. Wondering if i should expect to get redder as i go up in dosage. I hope the Aveeno helps you.

Edited by Avicia

Hey guys!

I am on day 17 and I can definitely tell that my face is not as oily anymore. I have also noticed white stuff that seems to be coming out of my pores on my face and my body. Does anyone else notice that? Besides that the only other thing is my red dry lips. I also noticed that they are swelling. My friends seem to notice it to. Do you guys know of anything that would make the swelling go down? Also I have been using the nivea kiss of moisture but it doesn't seem to last long on my lips. I have to reapply every half hour or so. I think im going to try aquaphor next.

So....the outbreak that I had last week is def over and im sooo excited. I had really bad acne before I started and for me to notice that my breakouts were getting out of control REALLY meant that they were getting out of control. But i spot treated with tretinoin for one night only and it seemed to help alot.

Avicia: I hope your body feels better soon!

And i hope everyone is still doing well! Have a GREAT weekend :)

miss_pooh - if you having trouble with your lips - switch to the aquaphor. It's the only thing that works for me. I can tell you that my lips swell off and on. Right now they are dry which is much better than the swelling. I am not sure what it's all about - but it's not my favorite side effect (it seems to happen when my skin changes over to being a bit oily). Anyway, glad to hear your skin is getting better!

I hope eveyrone is doing fine!

well DAY 10 for me. Lets start with my acne. I think im going thru the IB lol cuz im breakin out like almost evryday, specially on my chin and back of neck. Im getting small white heads..oh i got a f**in cyst right next to my eye lol Its not horrible really, ive managed to keep it sorta under control where its not as noticeable. I just hope it doesnt get worse! lol bt its all gravy, still going strong! >:o

As for side effects, well, just like evryone, my lips are getting so dry that i have to constantly apply chapstick. My eyes too, they are pretty dry. uhhh oh yeah, my back man, like lower back area is hurting a bit, but usually when i go to bed or when i wake up. My knees hurt a bit too. I go to the gym 3 days a week, and ive noticed that i get tired too fast, which is not good :/. My face is not as oily anymore wooo. Its actually pretty dry rite now, i think im gonna be forced to use a moisturizer next week lol. My nose is actually starting to peel a bit, and also around my nose and mouth.

So yea side effects are not horrible. However, my social life is prolly gonna be affected lol Last friday, i went to this house party with my buds; evryone was drinking but me! i felt like an outkast, and my friends all looked at me weird with their poker faces. I mean, i usually drink and get wild but since im on accutane, thats def gonna change. And i havent told any of my friends about my treatment. I mean, thats kinda private for me. i dont even like talking about acne with my friends lol i just feel like thats a touchy subject, u know? Only one of my friends knows about my treatment. And the other day, everyone went to the beach, and ofcourse, i had to flake ugh D: ( i live in florida) so yea, my friends are saying im acting weird lol..i think ima have to man up and tell them whats up.

Anyways, so far so good. :] nothing big. a decent IB. reasonable side effects. my face actually looks decent as of now lol. i wanna update like every 5 days or so...i rather not even think about it, and just forget im taking accutane.

Good luck guys! >;]

pcc

Indy- I will look into those. I'm not even wearing my contacts as of lately. They are hard lenses and given the state of my eyes I think it will just be too much irritation.

Avicia- My dosage is only 40mg/day, yours is twice mine right now. I attribute my redness to the fact that I have very fair skin, and my face has been slightly tinted red for the better part of the last 4 years of acne medications. What has happened is that certain days I am extremely red, and all other days I am mildly red.

2kboss- Haha, when my friends talk acne my eyes glaze over, and I think, "What do THEy know?"

Hi all!

Miss Pooh, you might check out the Dr Dans cortibalm for your lips. If they are swelling, it might help since it has an anti inflammatory of 1% hydrocortisone in it. It's good stuff, I had some samples my derm gave me and bought a full size tube of it when I was in for my one month checkup yesterday.

K2boss, sounds like you're doing OK. I didn't tell a lot of people at first either, but I finally said what the hell...and am more open about taking it now. It's not like people couldn't tell my acne had gotten worse LOL. But for me, it was just easier to not have to make excuses for why I wasn't drinking or why I was slathering on lip balm every half hour!

Avicia, hope your aches and pains don't get any worse! Sounds like you are really active so hopefully it won't slow you down much! That's really weird about your ring bothering you....wonder if your skin is just getting more sensitive?

So update on my status...today is day 27 for me. Had my one month checkup yesterday, good news and bad news. Good news is blood tests were great (and I'm not pregnant LOL), and my new prescription is for 80mg per day now. Bad news is I'm still breaking out....it's not HORRIBLE, but probably 10 or so actives. The problem is they are just so red, inflamed and they hurt! I had a bad feeling going into this course about the IB because I had SOOOO many clogged pores. Not visible really unless I stretched out my skin, and mostly around my chin and mouth.

So I think the derm must have had some sympathy for me or something LOL, because he gave me a script for 16 days of prednisone, at a gradually decreasing dose every four days, and a script for two weeks of ampicillin, a bacterial antibiotic (safe to take on Accutane). So today, I feel like an old lady that needs a pill box or something to keep track of all this stuff! I still have 4 claravis 40mg pills from my first month, and he told me to go ahead and just start taking the 80 mg now and finish those last 4 pills of month one. So as of today, I'm upping my dose. So now I'm taking two Claravis per day, 4 10mg prednisone a day for 4 days (then 3 pills a day for 4 days, 2 pills for 4 days, etc). And 2 ampicillin a day for 14 days!! It's ridiculous LOL. But I am hopeful that any flare I might get by increasing my dose will be controlled by the prednisone and soon things will start improving :pray:

Edited by indygal