Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
miss_pooh

About to start Accutane Support Group

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. I am doing good. I am trying to figure out how I am going to get 15 pills to last 12 days when i have to take 2 a day lol. This happened to me last month, and all I did was skip every other say. I just wish my derms office would schedule me on time. :rolleyes: Anyway, I figure i can take my normal 2 pills a day until around the 11th, then i will drop down to 40mg/day again until the 19th when my appointment is. that is a whole week of going down to 40mg a day from 80mg, i hope it doesnt screw my face up. On the bright side maybe it will give my lips a break...maybe :) They are pretty much as dry as desert sand. I got the Dr Dan's stuff, but it really doesnt seem to work as well as i was hoping for but it is better then just plain stuff. If I glob on the Aquaphor it helps better then anything else, but during the day when I am out and about i dont like my lips looking like i stuck them in a jar of vasaline and walked out of the house :lol: Last night I used brown sugar on them(someone recommended that on these post a bit ago) It actually really helped get all the dry skin off, and made them really smooth but they are a little sore today now, maybe i scrubbed too hard hehe. I think once a week i might try to do that though, it did help alot. My joint/back pain has not been as bad the last week as it was before. had a cross country race yesterday, my body really hurts after i run, but not bad enough to make me stop lol. I guess my joint pains depend on how bad i overdue it, and sometimes i have a tendency to overdue it alot, not really on purpose, but just being busy with my job, and my kids, and the normal everyday stuff just seems to wear me out quicker then normal. :boohoo:

Lisadawn~I have never used those strips while i have been on accutane, too chicken :) I got bad blackheads too about 3-4 weeks into my course, but by my 5th week, i dont have too many anymore, not like i did earlier in my treatment. I so wish i could wax, I hate trying to pluck my eyebrows, when i am inside my house, im like ok i got em all they look good, and then i get ouside to my car look in the mirrior and find out i missed a ton for stray hairs lol. I was so happy when i found this post because i was like you, i felt like i was the only adult in the world that had acne. I would look at all my friends, and people at my kids schools, and they didnt have any problems with their faces. I felt like it was so unfair, and since i also broke out on my back an chest too, even going to the beach with my friends and kids made me sad becasue i felt like everyone was staring at me, even if they probably were not. but i have high hopes that next summer, i can go to the beach and not worry one single bit about it :)

retrojeff~Hang in there! It will get better!! I know how you feel though! as does everyone here im sure! Im in month 2 right now, and I am not completely clear, my derm told me not to expect to be completley clear until after my course. I wish your derm would have prepared you for that. I expected the worst going into this. I dont know why i have acne either, no one in my family does. I never even broke out as a teenager. but for some reason when i hit about 24..it started. I also break out my chest and back. If you need to, vent all you want here that is why we all post here, because there is a group of people that understand and know how it feels to have acne. I talk to people that dont have acne and they look at me like i am crazy and they have no clue! If i am having a bad day i can come here and say i want to live under a rock and everyone gets it. I tell someone at work that and they say why it is "just acne" but it is never 'just acne" know what i mean? :)

Indygal~I have lots of the smaller closed comedones too. but i will take those over cysts anyday! I have a lot on my chin and cheeks, my forhead and nose are looking pretty good lately. I will be going into month 3 in about a week and a half. I am hoping i stay at 80mg. i dont know if my lips can handle another increase lol. I always have to laugh when you talk about new products. I am constantly looking going hmmmm i wonder if that will help my lips, or my hair, or my skin. i am not kidding i have never owned so many different kind of lip stuff...ever!! or body lotion, face lotion, etc. sicne i got my glasses last week, i can handle my contacts during the day so much better. becasue now i can take them out at night. so my eyes are good now, if i could get my lips under control that would be great, i am constantly putting something on them. pretty much like every 30 mins, i am putting more on my lips. I wish aquaphor would make a stick insteasd of just an ointment. that would be great.

well I am off to go hang some halloween decorations, my neighbors have theirs up and my kids have been asking me when we can put ours up so we can look like halloween too lol :) so i figure i could get it done while they are at school and be suprised when they get home. Hope everyone has a good week.

well day 31, i just had my follow up appointment today! surprisingly, im still gonna take 40mg this month, which is fine since im actuallly seeing relatively good progress! and im a lightweight (140lbs) i woulda prefered taking at least 60mg bt its cool..i was told i will be on accutane for another 3 months or 4!

I can finally say my nose is 95% blackhead clear! everyday, when i wash my face, these fuckers just fall off, and it feels great to see teh pore just clean nd clear lol

my chin has like 2 active small pimples...bt its looking good too! my cheeks are ehhhhh not so great yet. specially my left cheek, tahts where theres more activity. SO i guess im still breakin out , but not as bad! overall, i think my face has improved! i mean, no more blackheads on my nose, that really makes me happy lol so on to month 2! lets do this! grrrrrr

good luck accutaners!

oh btw, i tried dr.dan and it really helps.

Hey all....happy Friday! I'm sitting at home tonight....I have my blood test on Tuesday and my checkup with my derm next Friday to get my third month prescription. Fridays are usually a go out after work night for a couple drinks with friends, but I've been avoiding it lately because I want to see what my blood test results are now that I've been on 80mg. My derm even said it was OK, but I've been nervous about it because I don't want my liver levels to be messed up and have to come off the medication. Paranoia, I know :rolleyes: but I'll feel better knowing my test results first now that I'm on what's supposed to be the max dose I'll be taking.

Gotta whine for a minute....I really hope things start to improve more in month 3! As I mentioned in previous posts, I have a lot of closed comedones around my chin and some on my cheeks. They didn't used to be very visible, but like I suspected, they are all coming out, slowly but surely. But it completely sucks, because it's like a steady breakout, they turn into nasty little inflamed whiteheads. I'm glad it's coming out, but I'm really impatient to start seeing some consistent clearing....ugh, OK rant over. I know this is a long process, and I am seeing improvement. Blackheads are almost gone from my nose, I'm getting less cystic type acne, the oil has slowed back down...in fact I'm getting pretty dry again. Oh wait, gotta add one more thing to the rant :D Less than a week ago, I posted that my lips were dry but manageable with aquaphor and dr dans. Well, that was a lie, the lips are now officially jacked up lol. They're not cracking or bleeding or swollen or anything, but wow, they look freaking terrible, just dry dead skin and no amount of any lip balm makes them feel smooth anymore. Yuck.

Retro Jeff, I know how you feel, hang in there! I feel like I'm still breaking out quite a bit, but I try to tell myself I know this has to happen in order to get clear.

Lisa Dawn, I would stay away from the Biore strips...I've used those pre accutane and to me they stick pretty well and hurts taking them off even when the skin isn't sensitive. A few nights ago I put some Polysporin and a little bandaid on a pimple that was really red, and it hurt to take the bandaid off. Can't imagine a Biore strip if the bandaid hurt! And isn't the dryer skin great, I love how my makeup stays on now too and not having to blot!

k2boss, good luck month two. Sounds like things are going pretty good for you!

Avicia, good to hear that your joint pain isn't as bad lately! I haven't has issues with that yet, knock on wood, but I don't do a lot of overly strenuous excercise either. Mostly just an elliptical a couple times a week and some cardio/pilates combo a couple times a week. Which I haven't been consistent with lately either.....combination of just feeling tired and still trying to gain a couple of pounds. My eyes have still been pretty good too, taking the contacts out at night and wearing my glasses seems to work for me too. I would really hate to get to the point where I can't wear my contacts, I'm not a fan of wearing my glasses. And I'm sure I'll have more product updates to come......my bathroom storage looks like a drug store/beauty salon or something lol. My husband just shakes his head and laughs at me.

Hope everyone has a great weekend....

hey all! i am getting closer and closer to starting!!! i'm so excited :D i should probably be able to start either monday or tuesday. ah!!!

31 day wait is over in 13 days!! It's actually going pretty quickly.

I know I don't post much on what everyone says, but that doesn't mean I'm not paying attention! :) Good luck everyone!

hey guys,

I am on day 42 and everything seems okay. I haven't really gotten any new symptoms and my skin seems to be clearing up but I still have a few small bumps around my chin...I actually spot treated last night. I am also finally ready to admit that I have a problem...I am an avid picker:(. I really need to control my picking but i just cannot resist.

Indygal: since I moved up to 60 mg my skin has definitely gotten oily again :(. Hopefully it dries up again soon. Also my lips are thr same way. they are not really cracked but there is a disgusting layer of dead skin that make my lips look white. I really wish I could get rid of it. I tried the brown sugar scrub that someone recommended earlier but it doesn't seem to work that well for me.

2kboss: thats wierd that you haven't moved up on your dose. im on month 2 and i only weigh about 106 lbs and my derm moved me up to 60mg.

Good to hear that eveyone is still doing good.

hey guys! I'm glad everyone is mainly seeing progress that's awesome! I just got from 2nd month appointment to start my third month and my cholesterol levels are high and my doctor told me to take fish oil tablets. I'm a little nervous because I already take fish oil tablets because my cholesterol levels have always been high, it's not because I don't eat well, it's genetic. I barely eat red meats, eggs, cheese, because I know I have high levels. I really hope this doesn't cause me to come off because I really really don't want to. Any advice ? Thanks ? Have a good weekend :)

i been getting so many cuts :( so i gotta keep lotioning!

i had my appt last week (its been a month!) and she moved me up to 40 mg..and told me to take one pill in morning..and one at night.. then i went to cvs..and got my stuff but i came back and checked and it says 30 day supply..BUT only 30 pills?! thats not enough for ..2 pills a day..so i guess i'll call tomorrow and see if they messed up cause my doctor didnt say its one pill a day as it says on my cvs prescription. i guess i shoulda read my doc's note.. HMM.

but yeah my acne is so much better! :)

i been getting so many cuts :( so i gotta keep lotioning!

i had my appt last week (its been a month!) and she moved me up to 40 mg..and told me to take one pill in morning..and one at night.. then i went to cvs..and got my stuff but i came back and checked and it says 30 day supply..BUT only 30 pills?! thats not enough for ..2 pills a day..so i guess i'll call tomorrow and see if they messed up cause my doctor didnt say its one pill a day as it says on my cvs prescription. i guess i shoulda read my doc's note.. HMM.

but yeah my acne is so much better! :)

Miss Pooh, yep that's exactly what I'm talking about. My lips look white from the dead skin. And they burn a little bit too right after I put on balm.

Magee, if you don't already, you might try adding in some foods to your diet that are good for helping lower "bad" cholesterol (oatmeal/oat bran, nuts, olive oil, etc.). That might help...you can google search foods that lower cholesterol too and get more info.

Edited by indygal

ok so question: i know that accutane pushes blackheads out of your pores so i'm guessing it does the same with clogged pores? because i have a lot of those D: it gets all of them out right?

i just got off accutane a couple of months ago, and yes it pushes everything out, so expect it to get way worse before it gets better, but just hang in there! it really is a miracle drug!! hope everything works out for ya!! :D

Started on Tuesday, derm said to take 1 40mg pill a day for 2 weeks and then start taking two for another 2 weeks. So far, I do have decreased oil production which is good. Haven't gotten the IB, but have some flaking around mouth though nothing to bad. Haven't needed to use Aquaphor just yet. Still have some whiteheads. Will update soon. Peace

Also, I just drank some vitamin juice which has Vitamin A. Can I drink this or should I stop? TIA

Started on Tuesday, derm said to take 1 40mg pill a day for 2 weeks and then start taking two for another 2 weeks. So far, I do have decreased oil production which is good. Haven't gotten the IB, but have some flaking around mouth though nothing to bad. Haven't needed to use Aquaphor just yet. Still have some whiteheads. Will update soon. Peace

Also, I just drank some vitamin juice which has Vitamin A. Can I drink this or should I stop? TIA

I would stop if I were you. Simply because you are already overdosing on vitamin A with the accutane.

Hey Everybody,

Just found this thread and first wanted to thank everybody for everything they have shared. It really does make a world of difference to read everyones stories. I know the feeling all to well of feeling like no one understands what I am going through so its great to hear everyone saying the exact things that I have been thinking. I am on day 63 of my journey. First month was 40 mg with a pretty bad IB. Second month was bumped up to 80 mg which unfortunately prompted another bad breakout. The second one was tough to deal with. I am now on month 3 and still on 80 mg so hoping I am past the breakout stage and can begin to start healing what I have on my face. Has anyone noticed that the red marks they get are now redder than before? Not sure if this is just in my imagination or not.

RetroJeff - Just wanted to say hang in there man. I know exactly what your saying about skipping out on things and feeling like you're missing our on life because of acne. I have missed out on so much lately and isolated myself due to the breakouts that accutane has caused. I am praying that this will be the answer, but only time will tell. The way I look at is there is a 85% chance of this working. Doing nothing, there is a 0% chance. So I like our odds.

If anyone else has any feedback or advice that would be greatly appreciated. Also, did anyone else notice anything similar during this time. When did you start to see the clearing really begin?

Thanks So Much!

Hello everybody! I hope everyone had a good weekend. So, I have come to the conclusion that nothing is going to save my lips until i am done with this course lol. They are so dry and peely and flaky, and just icky looking. I put a lot of aquaphor on them at night which seems to make them manageable until about noon, then after that i am literally putting something on my lips every 30 mins. I bought some stuff call nivea kiss of relief a few weeks ago, it is in a tue not a stick, and that works pretty well for me during the day..but it is white in color so if i put too much on my lips look all white a glopy. Other then that, that is the worst of it for now. Yesterday i dropped down to 40mg/day other wise i would run out of pills(again) I stopped by my derms office last week while i was at the clinic with my husband for his physical therapy apt. and asked what the best way to go about it was, hoping they would say well lets see if we can get you in sooner. but they didnt he said it is ok that i go a week without taking pills, but i'd rather drop down to 40mg a day then not take any for a week, so i am doing it my way lol. I am hoping my derm leaves me at 80mg tho and doesnt up my dose again, just for the fact that if my lips get any drier i will go insane! But for some reason i think he will up my does again...I have a feeling that in the begining of my course when he said he was going to get me up to 120mg he meant my daily dosage, not total doage. That just seems so dang high though. I will just talk to him about it next week i suppose and try to see what his exact plan is.

Quick question, what kind of makeup is everyone using? I normally use Almay extended wear, becasue it used to hold up longer for me when my face was really oily rather then using plain makeup, but now that is isnt, it almost seems too cakey. so just wondering what works well for other people. I keep looking forward to the day that maybe i can just put some powder on and be done with it and not have to cover up a whole bunch of crap :)

upnorth~welcome! gald you found us. I have noticed that my red marks are redder and more painful then before. I also was on 40mg my first month and then up to 80mg this month, my appointment is next monday, so well see if i stay at 80mg or he makes me go up again. I also had another breakout going up to 80mg. But my forst IB was worse then the second bad breakout.

Heartfood~did you get everything worked out with the pahrmacy? hopefully they ended up giving you the other 30 days worth.

miss_pooh~yea i have a picking problem too!! it is almost impossible for me to goo look in the mirror with out picking at something. I am hoping soon i will have nothing to pick at! i also notice when i get stressed or anything i tend to pick more..strange but true. and my lips have the same dry layer of skin. i tried the brown sugar scrub, it took all the skin off but i had to scrub wort of hard with it, then my lips hurt, and it only lasted about 2 days and my lips were yuck again..but i figure if i have to go somewhere important, i could do it just to get by for that day/night :)

indygal~Hope you lips are holding out too. I am going to ask my derm next week and see if maybe there is somethign out there that i am missing. :) I dont see how i could be missing anything though, i am always looking for new stuff :) my bathroom also looks like a drug store hahaha! my husband always says do you really need like 6 tubes of crap for your lips lol. I tell him yes, yes i do! :)

I hope everyone has a good week.

Avicia - i am a picker too and lots of times I won't even notice that I'm doing it. This may be a little too masochistic for ya but I have begun to put a rubber band on my wrist then when I notice myself going to pick I give the rubber band a little snap just to remind myself that this is not a good habit. I know negative reinforcement isn't really the best idea but I have noticed I snap alot less and hopefully soon won't at all! Just an idea. You could also try a less painful reminder.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for the speeding up the process of getting rid of red marks. Some of my acne has gone down but there are still alot of marks left over and with my very light complexion they stick out like a sore thumb. Just wanted to maybe speed up the process if at all possible.

Thanks

Edited by upnorth

Hello everybody! I hope everyone had a good weekend. So, I have come to the conclusion that nothing is going to save my lips until i am done with this course lol. They are so dry and peely and flaky, and just icky looking. I put a lot of aquaphor on them at night which seems to make them manageable until about noon, then after that i am literally putting something on my lips every 30 mins. I bought some stuff call nivea kiss of relief a few weeks ago, it is in a tue not a stick, and that works pretty well for me during the day..but it is white in color so if i put too much on my lips look all white a glopy. Other then that, that is the worst of it for now. Yesterday i dropped down to 40mg/day other wise i would run out of pills(again) I stopped by my derms office last week while i was at the clinic with my husband for his physical therapy apt. and asked what the best way to go about it was, hoping they would say well lets see if we can get you in sooner. but they didnt he said it is ok that i go a week without taking pills, but i'd rather drop down to 40mg a day then not take any for a week, so i am doing it my way lol. I am hoping my derm leaves me at 80mg tho and doesnt up my dose again, just for the fact that if my lips get any drier i will go insane! But for some reason i think he will up my does again...I have a feeling that in the begining of my course when he said he was going to get me up to 120mg he meant my daily dosage, not total doage. That just seems so dang high though. I will just talk to him about it next week i suppose and try to see what his exact plan is.

Quick question, what kind of makeup is everyone using? I normally use Almay extended wear, becasue it used to hold up longer for me when my face was really oily rather then using plain makeup, but now that is isnt, it almost seems too cakey. so just wondering what works well for other people. I keep looking forward to the day that maybe i can just put some powder on and be done with it and not have to cover up a whole bunch of crap :)

upnorth~welcome! gald you found us. I have noticed that my red marks are redder and more painful then before. I also was on 40mg my first month and then up to 80mg this month, my appointment is next monday, so well see if i stay at 80mg or he makes me go up again. I also had another breakout going up to 80mg. But my forst IB was worse then the second bad breakout.

Heartfood~did you get everything worked out with the pahrmacy? hopefully they ended up giving you the other 30 days worth.

miss_pooh~yea i have a picking problem too!! it is almost impossible for me to goo look in the mirror with out picking at something. I am hoping soon i will have nothing to pick at! i also notice when i get stressed or anything i tend to pick more..strange but true. and my lips have the same dry layer of skin. i tried the brown sugar scrub, it took all the skin off but i had to scrub wort of hard with it, then my lips hurt, and it only lasted about 2 days and my lips were yuck again..but i figure if i have to go somewhere important, i could do it just to get by for that day/night :)

indygal~Hope you lips are holding out too. I am going to ask my derm next week and see if maybe there is somethign out there that i am missing. :) I dont see how i could be missing anything though, i am always looking for new stuff :) my bathroom also looks like a drug store hahaha! my husband always says do you really need like 6 tubes of crap for your lips lol. I tell him yes, yes i do! :)

I hope everyone has a good week.

in regards to the make up, i've been using bare minerals since the beginning of my course and it worse great. It never looks cakey and you only need a little to cover it up. Of course it doesn't cover everything up perfectly but it soon will when there really is nothing to cover up.. good luckk!

hi ladies. I'm on day 112. looking forward to stopping, but still have breakouts. Upped dose to 60mg last week, which may be why last week my face looked bad. Oil production is significantly decreased. I can go a week w/o washing my hair. that is just plain crazy for me.

on the lip issue - i had major lips issues, so let's see if i can help. i recommended the brown sugar. do it VERY lightly or even just put on your wet lips and gently rub them together. i do it once a week. don't rub too long.

I use dr dan's or neostrata lip conditioner throughout the day (even throughout the night). During day, it could be every 5-10 mins depending on day or once every two or more hours. i put dr dan's on before i wash my face w/baby soap. then i brush my teeth w/a toddler toothbrush and toddler toothpaste. Regular toothpaste has been TERRIBLE for my lips. after i wash my face, brush my teeth, i immediately take a kleenex nicely folded and run under warm water, then gently wipe my lips w/the warm wet kleenex to get all the old lip balm and dead skin off. then immediately put on the dr dan's (or neostrata lip conditioner) on my lips and clotrimazole (sp? antifungal stuff) in the corners. If i am in the sun or even driving with the sun on me, i use banana boat 45 or 50 SPF. The Neostrata lip conditioner does have 15 SPF. The Neo is much smoother to me than the Dr Dan's but i think the Dr Dan's moisturizes better. Nivea and Aquaphor did nothing but cause more problems for me.

This is also kinda weird but I have noticed that some Dr. Dan's are better than others. Some are more yellowish (maybe the beeswax) and some are more whitish. i LOVE the more whitish ones. I don't know if the difference is when they were manufactured or what.

I do not lick my lips at all anymore. I am very careful when I eat. I do not rub my lips with a dry napkin....only blot and as little as possible. I try to eat with a fork when possible. Even for sandwiches...no big bites (hurts my corners). I try to avoid eating with a spoon and ALWAYS drink with a straw. Also try to avoid foods like oranges or mustard.....if they are going to touch my lips.

Kissing type stuff is almost off limits during this journey. My toddler gets them once in awhile (although she doesn't want the lip stuff on her), but my husband is out of luck.

I know this all sounds obsessive, but it's ended up working and my lips used to be super bad. they used to throb and pulsate and even one piece of hair or the slighest breeze would be very painful.

I have heard about a prescription gel called topicort, but i haven't tried it.

Good luck! I hope I have only one month left! YAY!

Hey everybody,

I'm hoping this thread isn't "ladies only". But I have just started Claravis 2 days ago, and it would be nice to be able to commiserate with some other people. At work or with friends, when I talk about this.. people just kinda nod their heads or give me odd looks. Nobody really gets it. It's a bit annoying.

Anyway, this is my 3rd run of Accutane. I took it once before when I was 16, and 2 years ago for like 2 months.. it cleared everything up wonderfully! Now I'm 28.. and my acne's been bad for about 5 years. I just never had the insurance to get this. Finally I'm getting on it again!

I'm really worried about the IB and the side effects, but I guess it's no worse than the bad cystic acne I have now. I'm server in Disney.. so having to face all those people every day has started to really become difficult.

Anyway, it'll be nice to read all of your experiences. Good luck, everyone!

OK, I haven't had time to read the last several posts, so really I'm not ignoring anyone if you made any comments to me :) I just wanted to add a quick post for those of us that have been having issues with super dry lips.

I was doing pretty good using Aquaphor and Dr Dans cortibalm up until like the 3rd week of the increase to 80mg per day. Then all of the sudden, the lips were just out of control dry and no amount of balm was helping. It was just a bunch of white dead skin that looked horrible and wouldn't really exfoliate without hurting.

I totally forgot about a balm my derm had given me several weeks ago...I hadn't used it yet because the other stuff I was using was doing a good job. But I found it in my purse a few days ago and it is SAVING my lips, they are actually almost smooth again :dance: It's called Chopsaver....it's all I've used for the past few days. I just ordered 3 more tubes of it....you can get it online, just google Chopsaver if interested. And bonus, it actually smells good and doesn't look all gloppy and shiny.

Indygal~I am so going to google that and order some now!! 3 weeks into my increase is when my lips went psycho on me too. i am on 40mg this week just so i dont run out of pills before my apt on monday, but that hasnt helped my lips either. And if it smells good that is even better..because Dr. Dans, does not smell good. Thanks for the info :) My husband will be happy that i am adding yet another tube of balm to my collection(total sarcasm here lol) :dance: lol. But since he did tell my my lips are like a reptiles right now..I will just tell him it is for his benefit not just mine :)

Edited by Avicia

Indygal: Thanks sooo much I definitely just order the chopsaver gold with spf...does it help remove the dead white cells on your lips?

Nanteos: Welcome! This is def not a ladies only thread. Try reading back to some of the old posts because there is def some useful information.

Mert1: Thank you for your help. I followed your regimen and it REALLY did help!! :)

Edited by miss_pooh