Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
miss_pooh

About to start Accutane Support Group

I'm about to start accutane in a few weeks ( waiting for the iPledge info in the mail) and I just wanted to see who else would be starting soon so that we could start a support group. Please reply if you're interested :)

Picking up my prescription tomorrow. What a hellish 30+ days of waiting for us ladies! I would love to post from time-to-time on progress. Good luck and success to all!!!!

Thanks for all of the support guys. I am getting soooo impatient.

Good luck to you all! and keep us posted on any progess and side effects :)

i would love to join. I have been on about 30 days. my Dr. advised me to stop because i was experiencing insomnia BAD but i have my 30day check up tomorrow and i am excited to see what she has to say. i will be back on tomorrow to post what she says.

i have been on it for about 16 days...i am overly paranoid and would love some support! i will try to be better about checking in.

we can do it ladies!

I'm still waiting on my iplegde access code :(

Good luck Queenbee I hope your Dr. put you back on.

Lauren: Have you experienced any side effects yet?

A few...dry lips came on quick for me. Oil production has significantly decreased. My scalp and body itches more than usual. I have started to experience dry eyes; however, I have dry eyes in the morning anyway, so i don't know how much of it is accutane induced. I have noticed that I am a little more tired than usual, and it has been hard to push myself through my afternoon workouts, but not impossible. And I have noticed an increase in headaches, although, I do often get random headaches, some thanks to my BC-pills, so again, not sure how much is accutane induced.

I am super paranoid though, and have always been a bit of a hypochondriac, so I am trying to stay aware of that. ïŠ I am currently paranoid that my hair is thinning, but I really don’t think that it is. HA!

SO i went for my 30 day yesterday. She walked in and was like "WOW you really look good!" i almost cried because it was confirmation from the the Dr. She use to say "Uhuh, well, thats not working" in the past. I really like her honesty. :D Anyway, i went over my side efrfects and she said that i have the mosty improvement of all her patients BUT the MOST side effects. I told her i didnt wanna be taken off despite the side effects so she lowered my dose to 20mg a day and see if the side effects go away then after a month, she may increase it depending on how i do. She said maybe 8 months and i freaked. I said "NO!:naughty: i only wanna be on it till Nov"i hate the blurred vision and the insomnia. I am on Lunesta for sleep which finally helped :clap: last night but i have ahistory of depression in my family and in myself and i already had to be put on meds for it because i had a meltdown about a week ago and i havent had a depressed moment in quite a while.

I'm glad for this beginning support group we have. I believe this will help alot of us. Great IDEA!!!!

so i sstarted my bc a couple weeks ago and i think it is the reason i got this horrible cold sore. my top lip is SUPER swollen!! I hoppe no other side effects arise because of these bc pills.

qeen bee:CONGRATS, im happy tohear that you are improving because honestly im not too sure if accutane will work for me. i have just tried everything and accutane is my last resort.

lauren: i hope the side effects go away soon..and hopefully no thinning :)

miss_pooh - do you get coldsores regularly? I get a bad one once in a while and was afraid that the dry lips from accutane would exacerbate the problem. I asked my PA to give me valtrex during my course (suppressive therapy) and she easily agreed. I just don't want to get stuck with a nasty cold sore because I have super dry lips.

queen bee - hang in there! At least you didn't get taken off the medication. While I understand you want to get off it ASAP, you need to reach your cumulative dose. That way, you hopefully won't have to worry about acne ever again.

Lauren - I am only about 10 days behind you - I am wondering what my symptoms will be at that point (I have a few right now: lips feel different, some flaky skin, eyes are a bit dry). I know it's still too early to tell. Try not to stress too much!

Good luck everyone!

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and support.

I popped pill number 19 tonight. My scalp (especially around my part) is a little sore...did anyone experience this? I am trying not to freak myself out about the hair thing, but I am having a hard time not freaking myself out. I just don't wanna lose my thick hair... :(

ld70: My lips haven't really gotten any worse, and there have been some nights where I haven't needed to put lip balm on, so I guess the lips aren't hitting me full force just yet. My skin is not oily at all anymore though...maybe that is why my scalp hurts? I don't know. UGH! LOL

miss_pooh: Hang in there... same with QueenBee...here's hopin' we never have to sit in front of a mirror and pick at our skin ever again...keep positive thoughts that Accutane is the answer for us.

I would like to join the support group too. I just started my Accutane on 8/13, after waiting for almost 2 years to get on it in that time I think i have been perscribed almost every med out there, antibiotics, spiro, and every topical out there im sure :) Let me tell you that last 30 days of waiting for accutane was tourture! i was so excited to get my 2nd set of labs done that meant i would be on it the next day. right now I am on 40mg once a day. I have not had too many side effects yet. dry lips is the wrost so far, that seemed to have started on like day 2. i have had to use lots of chap stick, i have been using Nivea Kiss of Moisture, it works very well. i also use burts bees, but the Nivea one lasts longer. i have had a few bad headaches, and a little dry eyes, im hoping the eyes dont get too bad i wear contacts, and i am hoping i can wear them throughout all of this :) I have been overly paranoid about my IB, i have not gotten it yet, and im holding out hope that maybe im one of the few that dont get one. I have only had a few new pimples since starting. Im so excited for this medicine to work. I never had skin problems as a teenager, mine started at about 28, im now about to turn 31..and I keep thinking why now? im an adult, i thought this was a teenager thing. boy was i wrong. I have Moderate persistant acne(that is what my derm tells me every time he sees me, make me laugh kind of, like yea i know stop reminding me) It would be nice to have a group of people to talk to about everything and actually understand what i am going thru. I talk to people at work about it and i get looked at like im crazy. I hope to get to know everyone better :)

Lauren-I'm with you on the hair thing! im afraid mine will fall out i have somewhat thin/fine hair as it is, i think i will be bald if it falls out!!. I think the one im most paranoid about tho is the joint pain. i run a lot, and im kind of worried that the more my dose gets moved up that it might casue a problem for me in that area. so far i have not had joint pain just a little back soreness, nothing untolerable though.

Miss_pooh- Im in the same boat, this is my last resort if accutane doesnt work...im not sure what to do after that. I dont want to have to deal with acne the rest of my life. :(

Avicia: I run too. I have noticed that it has been harder and harder for me to motivate myself to keep running, and it has become a little harder to keep going...like it has kind of zapped my endurance, but I am still running around 3 miles every other day.

I have started taking glucosamine chondroitin to help with the joint issues, and I am also taking 5mg of biotin to help with the hair thing. I have read though that biotin won't keep hair from thinning or falling out, but it will help with hair growth and re-growth.

I am trying to give this medicine a chance. I kind of hate taking it because of all the horrible things I read, but I am giving it a shot.

I meet with my derm next week for my 30 day eval. I am hopeful she keeps me on the 40mg, or even lowers my dose. My acne is somewhat moderate to begin with...I generally get cysts around my period, and I have lots of whiteheads and blackhead with a few actual pimples. Just an overal rough texture to my skin. I really hope this takes all this away from me, or significantly reduces it so I don't worry over it as much anymore.

Hi everyone. I just went to my Dr. the other day, and he strongly suggested I try accutane. I never had acne (other than the occasional zit here or there) as a teenager. People actually referred to my skin as "peaches and cream complexion." I have gone through about 3 SEVERE bouts of painful, cystic acne since my early to mid-20's (I am now 28). I had one about 2 & 5 years ago and went through the whole antibiotic and topical cream regimen and did it religiously. It cleared up after about 3-4 months (not completely) and was good for about a year and a half (occasionally breaking out with several but not 20-30 like now). In the last few months I have had another horrible bout. My Dr. said I can keep going through this my whole life or get it "cured" which he said accutane should do. I am nervous about starting and still have to wait almost the full month until I begin for real. I have a friend that did it several years ago (in her mid-20's) and said she would recommend it 100%. She was "annoyed" by the dry skin but found good moisturizer. Hearing from someone first hand made me feel better, but I am still really nervous (I'm a normally anxious person). I have never been on medicine for anxiety or depression because I have learned how to handle it, but I'm nervous this may intensify it. I also have frequent headaches, dry eyes (mostly in the morning), and insomnia so I'm afraid this will worsen with the medicine. My biggest fear is the hair loss, even though they said this is rare. I would love to hear how everyone is making out as they go along so I can feel better. I know it's a person-by-person thing but I would feel better hearing that no one has had SEVERE side effects. My friend said that she felt MUCH worse before she started the treatment because of how she looked and said every side effect is worth it. She had to do a second round because she stopped the first prematurely, but ever since then she has not gotten any cystic acne and only get the occasional "zit". I look forward to hearing more about everyone's progress

Lauren-I normally run about 3 miles 2-3 times a week, i try to do one long run 5-6 miles on friday. I did a 5k race on wednesday, and i was about 2 mins off my normal time. it took me about half way thru to get to where i was feel like i normally do when i run. the begining of it I felt like crud! and i notice it was a little harder to push myself thru it. hoping it doesnt get worse. I join a cross country team in the fall and it starts in a few weeks. I was thinking about getting some glucosamine/chondrointon as well :) i suppose we will see, and hope for the best. My acne sounds almost just like yours as well. I get cyst every couple weeks, 95% of the time they are on my chin, i have had the occasional one on my cheek, but i also break out on my back and shoulders as well. My derm talked about having me up to 120mg by month 5, that seems a little extreme for me, especially since i am 5ft2in and about 115lbs. i dont have my next apt about til 13 sept.

my lips seem to have doubled in dryness over night. i bought some stuff called chapstick overnight. i thin i will start usuing it tonight :)

Well, I just got home from the derm and I FINALLY have the prescription in my hand! We had already agreed to a 10-20mg dose and a longer course, but he told me today that he wants me to start at 40mg instead. He is worried that I won't achieve remission on a low dose and said he wants to make sure we "blast" the oiliness and acne for good. So after skipping all the threads on side effects and IBs, now I'm frantically trying to figure out what products to stock up on and worrying that things are about to get really bad really quick.

I have to wait until tomorrow when my blood work comes back, answer the first set of questions on ipledge, then I can drop off the prescription. He wants me to wait until Monday to start taking it for some reason - easier appointment scheduling I guess. I can't wait to see this oily mess dry up!

Zen.garden-yea! you are starting soon! Here is what i bought the day i started. Nivea Kiss of Moisture there are 2 different kinds i got the one witht he dark blue cap..i have been an avid Burts bees w/ pomagranate oil for a long time, but it just doesnt last long enough, the nivea stuff is great!! i also bough Chap Stick Overnight. Going to start using it tonight since my lips were somewhat dry then bam overnight last night they got very dry. I also got Systene eye drops for contacts, only had to use those once so far. and I got Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF 15, and Cetaphil face wash. I am also on 40mg/day starting out (started on 8/13). I pretty much got some dry lips after day 2. but like i said last night they got worse.

Avicia - do you like the Cetaphil face wash? I have used it before, but I found that it didn't remove my makeup very well. I've been using Neutrogena 2 in 1 Cleanser/Makeup Remover in the blue pump bottle and plan to continue with it as long as it doesn't become drying. I have never really worried about moisturizer because I'm so oily, but I guess I'd better find a good one in case I start flaking. I'm glad you mentioned the eye drops since I wear contacts. Thanks for the tips!

I have not had to use the moisturizer yet, im still kind of oily also but i got it just for when/if i do end up needing it. I always used the neutrogena acne wash, but since it has sylc. acid in it i had to switch, i always heard good things about Cetaphil so I got it. I do agree with you though it doesnt seem to clean my face like i want it too. I will prbably use it til it is gone and then find something else that makes my face feel cleaner, it seems like i have to use like 3-4 pumps just to get it to foam up alot lol. Im praying that i can keep wearing my contacts too, so far no dry eyes, I hope it stays that way :)

Hi ladies, just reading through this and wanted to say hi and good luck! Sounds like everyone here has just recently started or will be. I am a "will be" :D I'm getting really excited and anxious, my 30 day wait period is over in 3 days!! I will go to the derm again on Monday and take the second pregnancy test and should get my prescription (already had blood work done). I'll be interested to keep up with this thread and see how everyone progresses.

This is my second round of Accutane, I took one round about 11 years ago. Will be starting at 40mg. Hoping this will get rid of the acne for good....I bought a bunch of products already and started moisturizing really well a couple weeks ago. I'm prepping for the side effects I know I had last time :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried CeraVe lotion? I never would have bought this if my derm hadn't recommended it, but so far I really like it. I've just been using it on my body, I know some people use the lotion or cream on their face as well. We'll see how it holds up once the dryness starts though lol. I also remember getting really dry scalp and flakes so bought some Nizoral shampoo and of course the arsenal of lip balms! Anyhow, I hope this thread continues and people will share their products tips and progress!

Avicia - do you like the Cetaphil face wash? I have used it before, but I found that it didn't remove my makeup very well. I've been using Neutrogena 2 in 1 Cleanser/Makeup Remover in the blue pump bottle and plan to continue with it as long as it doesn't become drying. I have never really worried about moisturizer because I'm so oily, but I guess I'd better find a good one in case I start flaking. I'm glad you mentioned the eye drops since I wear contacts. Thanks for the tips!

If you like Neutrogena, have you tried the Fresh Foaming Face wash (blue pump bottle as well, I don't think I've tried the 2 in 1 cleanser)? I've used that for years and plan to use it while on Accutane, unless like you mention, it gets too drying. It is soap free, oil free, alcohol free and noncomedogenic. The reason I mention it is because I wear makeup too and it takes off everything, including waterproof mascara. It seems to be really gentle too, I've been on topicals forever so always try to use gentle cleansers. The only downer is it does have fragrance, but it hasn't ever irritated me. I bought some of the Aveeno Ultra calming cleanser because it was fragrance free, and it seemed to irritate me..not so calming!

zen.garden - don't panic! I started at 40mgs 7 days ago and the side effects are slowing creeping in. I can tell you my lips feel different. I have been using aquaphor religiously so they are not chapped. I have not started moisturizing because my skin is flaky and oily at the same time. It's very strange! I thought I was going to start at 30mgs - but she started me at 40mgs and said that was low (she usually starts at 60mgs - but I am sensitive so she wanted to see how I handle the medication). Like Avicia - my eyes are dry. They are also itchy and red. This is probably my worst symptom right now. I have been using eye drops morning and night for the past couple of days.

What a great group of women we have on this medication at the moment! Good luck to everyone!