Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JulyBaby86

Clear By 2010: My Accutane Journey!

Been hanging around here for a few months now, finally signed up a couple weeks ago, and this is my first post!

I'm a 23 year old female. I have had mild acne (with huge pores and extremely oily skin) since I was in high school, I was always able to keep it pretty much under control with a few topicals (Retin-A and Clindamycin) and birth control, until last summer, my mild acne turned into moderate acne, so I started taking Erythromicin, seemed to work for a little while, and then it got worse again, switched to Doxycycline, everything was pretty good, and then I got my first Cyst's back in March, and since then it has just gotten worse and worse, went to the dermatologist and told her I wanted Accutane, but she wanted me to try Minocycline for 2 months first and see how that went, well it hasn't helped at all and I feel like my acne is now becoming Severe, so I finally have my appointment tomorrow to get Accutane, hopefully everything will go smoothly with that, the blood work, and birth control so I can start ASAP!

I was working at a great job for the last 2 years, but got laid off back at the end of June, and feel like maybe it is all stress related trying to find a new job and pay for bills, and with planning on going back to school in the fall. (and the stress of boys, oh you boys and your being so difficult) So my problem is my acne is keeping me from really looking for a job, because it makes me want to stay inside and hide until it clears. My parents have also convinced me to go see a therapist for my "picking issues" I have OCD with many things, and picking at my face has become one of them, I really want to stop because all I am doing is leaving scars. So my goal is to first stop picking, and then get clear skin and find another great job by 2010, I really think that is going to be a good year for me.

So in conclusion (practicing for when I go back to school in the fall!) I'm mostly making this log for a memory, and to keep my self updated, but I enjoy reading everyone elses log's so I figured I might as well post it on here for everyone else like me that gets comfort from reading about other people going through the same things. I also love when people post pictures, so I am going to try to find some courage to post some as well, but I don't know if that's something I am going to want to go back and look at later on, so we'll see!

Got approved by the Dermatologist today! :dance: 40 mg once a day for the first month.

Now just have to wait on the blood work and iPledge, I really hope this doesn't take long, I hate waiting!

Got approved by the Dermatologist today! :dance: 40 mg once a day for the first month.

Now just have to wait on the blood work and iPledge, I really hope this doesn't take long, I hate waiting!

Congrats and good luck! The waiting is not fun.....I have another week and a half or so of the 30 day waiting period, should be able to start the week of the 24th. But hang in there and you'll be starting before you know it.

Thanks so much everyone!!! :D

I've have already started drinking tons of water, bought lots of lotions and moisturizers, got my eye drops ready, and am buying new glasses next week incase my eyes get to dry for my contacts, and fortunately for me I have a chapstick obsession so keeping that around won't be a problem!

Just a few questions though...

How long did it take for all of you when you first got approved to finally start taking it, the whole iPledge thing is such a pain, I thought I only needed 1 pregnancy test first, but I just read that I need 2, is that true?!

And just taking one a day would you suggest taking it in the morning or afternoon?

AND facials, do you think they would be a good or bad idea while on Accutane since they exfoliate and get off all the dead skin, or do you think it would be to harsh while on it?

Thanks again for stopping by and reading my log, I appreciate the support!

Oh and one more question, non-accutane related though. I keep trying to upload a picture for my profile, but it won't save, do you have to be here for a certain amount of time or something or do you think I am doing it wrong?

I would suggest taking it at night, but it probably doesn't matter a whole bunch. I saw someone say something about limiting headaches taking it at night? Doubtful though.

I have read some logs where people get facials or exfoliate some, but I wouldn't do it often. Your skin is really thin and if you do it too much it might irritate it or make it really raw and red looking.

I don't think there is a wait limit for an Avatar.. but their might be. Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 50 KB. :S

Hey there. Your skin situation sounds similar to mine. Waiting to start Accutane definitely sucks. You will have to get a second pregnancy test done around the time of your next appointment. Once your doctor has the results, they will enter them into iPLEDGE and from there you will need to answer their questions. Once you have fulfilled the iPLEDGE god's wishes, then you can finally begin your course. Pain in the ass, huh?

I wouldn't recommend getting a facial or any kind of skin treatment on accutane as you could do more harm than help.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the help!

So, I've been taking Solodyn for about 2 weeks now, and will be taking it up until I start Accutane, and I got a huge zit on my back last week, which is weird because I never break out on my body, I've gotten a few random little ones on my chest or back like 2 or 3 times a year, but never a big one, but then (hopefully I won't be jinxing myself by saying this) my face is pretty clear, just have a few scabs that are healing from picking at them last week (I REALLY need to stop doing that) and obviously lots of blackheads on my nose, but they are always there, and so gross and so annoying, but no actual zits right now, and hopefully it will stay like this at least until next week because classes start on Monday and then Wednesday to Sunday i'll be at the beach, and it would be suuuuppeeerrr nice to be clear for both of those things!

Anyways, I'll finally be able to get my blood work done next week! Ugh, I hate waiting....I love being a girl, but sometimes it can be such a pain! Also got 2 pairs of new glasses today, have to wait 7-10 days for those too, but I am super excited to get those and start Accutane soon! :D

Thanks Jordanmac7!

So I must have jinxed myself because yesterday, what I consider the entire right side of my face, broke out, the left side just cleared up, just a few dry spots left, so I guess the right side figured it was its turn. Woke up this morning looked worse, so obviously I stupidly picked at them all and made them even worse and then skipped my first day of classes, but luckily the first day isn't too important. Hoping it will look better by Wednesday because I can't miss another class, and than I leave for the beach Wednesday afternoon, can't wait for that!

Did get my blood work done today finally so hopefully it won't take too long to get processed and all that fun stuff so I can finally start Accutane.

And a quick question: I didn't even think to ask my Dermatologist if I should continue using my Retin-A and Clindamycin when I start taking Accutane, I'm going to call tomorrow and ask, but for those of you who were on creams or lotions like that when you started did you continue to use them or just stop?

Hello JulyBaby86!

Definitely ask your doctor, but I would recommend stopping your topical medications such as Retin-A. The Accutane is going to cause your skin to dry out like the Sahara desert and peel like a bad sunburn, and topical medications will probably just add to that.

Accutane is going to heal your skin from the inside out, so hopefully you will no longer need your topicals soon! :D

I know how hard it is to stop picking - I used to pick at my skin all the time out of boredom or stress. (Still do, sometimes.) We really gotta try our best to stop now, though, because Accutane makes skin heal slower and scars form easier. You'll most likely notice it pretty soon after starting.

Best of luck to you! It sounds like you're already off to a great start with your water intake and various lotions. Accutane will do wonders for you, I'm sure of it!

Just posting today to complain about waiting. Dermatologist still hasn't gotten my bloood work results from the lab, I'm going insane waiting. All I can think about is how the sooner I start the sooner I will be clear and can stop worrying about my skin all the time. Ugh.

Thanks for the help and luck George's Sister! OMG yeah picking is the hardest thing to stop doing, I have so many red marks from it, hopefully we can both stop doing it, and just be clear soon so we have nothing to pick at anyways!

Good luck! Accutane is such an exciting and terrifying drug in that one minute you want to sing with joy and the next you want to pull your hair out. You can go from clear to broken out to clear again. But the main thing is to try to stay positive and expect an IB so you're ready for one. Always having a chapstick on hand will save your life, and if you don't already moisturize, you soon will be like mad.

Welcome to the Accutane Train. :dance:

Miss Angie - Thanks! Yeah that IB and those wanting to pull my hair out days are the only things I am not looking forward too, well the dry lips and eyes part too.

rede4bed - I sure hope so, I can't start until October 1, that seems like forever away!

Thank you :)

It's really a bummer having to wait a whole month to get your Accutane (we don't have that system in my country, so I was able to get a prescription one day and pick up my pills tomorrow). I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, but hang in there for just a little longer (I don't know about the climate at your place but it's getting colder here from October on, so it's even better to start later in the year to avoid sun exposure).

Argh the picking issues :confused: I know I'm guilty of it, but at the same time I wouldn't be picking if there wasn't much stuff inside my pores. On the contrary, I have tons of blackheads and blocked pores and the amount of gunk that comes out of them is ridiculous, really. It gets you so down. At least I'm trying harder not to pick now, I feel this sort of responsibility for my skin now that I'm on Roaccutane.

Hello there, bummer to still be waiting! Fingers crossed for you that your skin cooperates as much as possible while you are waiting.

Oh, and I pick too, I must confess. Getting better at it, although now that my face is literally flaking away it is hard!

Hey thanks for posting in my log : )

I see you're waiting still to get your prescription! Congrats! Accutane will honestly be the best decision you've ever made. I really mean that. Can't wait to see your progress : ) I'll keep checking in on you.

Take care

hey :)

the waiting game SUCKS!!i had to wait a month too, then they couldnt find my blood work- so much hassle!!!!

on tane the days will go by quickly, and you will be amazed at how quickly your skin changes for the better, the pros totally outweigh the cons :)

hang in there! 8D

Thanks for the all the support! This waiting thing really feels like one of the hardest things I've had to do (Pathetic, I know). I am going crazy. Last week I was fine my skin was almost clear and then this week its the worst, I usually never break out by my nose, I get lots of blackheads there, but thats usually it, but this week it decided to give me a couple huge ones. I'm supposed to be on my way to school right now, but my first class is with a bunch of girls who are like 3-5 years younger then me with perfect skin, so I got up early, showered, put on a layer of foundation, and then gave up, I just couldn't do it. I know its bad, but i'm going to see if I can get my classes switched to online, I just want to hide in my room until I get Accutane and until the course is over. I went ahead and took some pictures of me this morning after I put on foundation, its just a light layer though, but then I also put neosporin ontop of all of them, because I picked and did so much to them this weekend they were so dry, and putting something on them makes me feel better. Anyways I took them with my phone, so they are kind of bad quality, but trust me it looks WAY worse in person. I'll take better ones from all angles the day I finally start Accutane.

post-109017-1252931721_thumb.jpgpost-109017-1252931729_thumb.jpg

And just to make me feel better, a picture from a few years ago, with make-up on before my skin was bad.

post-109017-1252932433_thumb.jpg

post-109017-1252931721_thumb.jpg

post-109017-1252931729_thumb.jpg

post-109017-1252932433_thumb.jpg

Edited by JulyBaby86