Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ItsHeatherLOL

Redness, burning, irritation, whiteness under the lips

Hi guys :) I'm new to the acne.org and naturally, the regimen also!

I started the regimen Saturday and have been following it through up till today (Wednesday morning). So I've been following the programme for a good 4 and a half days. However! I've encountered a few problems...most of which were born out of stupidty, but some I can't quite explain. I've had acne since I was 8 years old and its still with me now at 17 (18 in January...woo!). I've been through pretty much every medical treatment avaliable, including Roacuttane which I've had three seperate dosages of over the past four years. (The first two dosages (taken with a year between them) were for 6 months with two pills per day, and the third dosage was last year for 3 months with one pill every other day and two pills every day that I wasn't taking the one! Sorry if that wasn't very clear!). The Roacuttane worked really well but after 6 months or so of completing the medication my acne would flare up again - less than before, but acne was still very prominent on my face. My acne had almost always been borderline severe, covering the majority of my face, but over the past 4 years, my acne has spread to my neck, chest, back and tops of my arms and shoulders in a 'moderate' form. As of last week I can report that my acne still remained 'moderate' on my neck, chest, back and tops of my arms and shoulders and was also 'moderate' on my face, covering just the sides and cheeks.

Anyway...moving onto the regimen:

Morning: 1. Wash my face with 'Clean and clear' deep cleanse wash (Has no granuels to further irritate my skin. The texture is very creamy).

2. Apply BP 10% (Yes, this is my first mistake...10% is WAAAAAY too high but that was the only percentage they sold in Boots at the time and I really wanted to get started with the regimen ASAP...even though strictly speaking, the regimen states only to use 2.5%...so technically, was I even following the regimen at all? ;) )

3. Apply Nivea cream moistouriser non-greasy for normal skin

Evening: Repeat.

When I first started on Saturday, if I'm being honest, I went way OTT with my application of BP - mistake number two!. I only put it on the affected areas, but I'm certain I'd applied too much, as after I'd rubbed it in there was still a thin layer of the white cream left on my skin. I didn't feel too comfortable leaving it like that, so with the little bit of excess cream that was on my face, I smeared it over my chin and a bit around my nose and lip area (none of which are affected by acne) so that it was all rubbed in - third mistake! So that...plus the stupidly high 10% BP which I was using...well its not hard to guess what happened by day two! My skin was RED! I looked like I'd been horribly sunburnt! And to add insult to injury my skin was flaking in parts and seriously, seriously sore! There was...and still is a continual burning sensation which is relentless! However, the sore areas are around my lips, chin and nose where I rubbed the remainder of the 10% BP which was on the sides of my face and cheeks, and those are the areas which burn. Looking back on it, I have no idea why I rubbed the excess cream on those areas - I have no acne on them at all. I guess I didn't think that the BP cream would have THIS much of an effect! The areas where there is acne on my face are red, but not sore, flaky, itchy etc, and are looking smoother and clearer! However, the soreness, redness and burning sensation naturally is extremely unpleasant, and I was wondering whether anybody could give me any advise to reduce the redness and soothe the burning pain. I'd truly appreciate it :)

However, I have one last issue that I'd like to address too...and this one may not be entirely down to my stupidity (!) as I've skimmed through a couple of posts about it before. As I mentioned, the areas where I've rubbed the BP have turned tomatoe red, however, the area of skin immediatly underneath my lips (about half a centimetre in width) is my normal pasty skin colour and looks extremely odd, almost as if that part of my skin has been bleached. Could anybody possibly shed some light on this situation?

Thanks a lot :)

Heather

xo

Technically, no. You weren't following the regimen. It's not practical using 10% bp, as you experienced what many others do with 10% - overdrying, cracking, peeling, burning (what seems like an allergic reaction, but it actually just irritation from too strong of the chemical).

Take a week off for your skin to recover. Afterward, try to start the REAL regimen slowly.

The skin coloration should return to normal if you give your skin some rest from using the 10% (I don't even think they should be selling this high of a concentration in a cream form...)

Thanks :) I'm going to take your advice and take a break from BP products until my skin has calmed down considerably!

I've struggled to find a few good BP products in the UK though, and Quinoderm looks pretty much the best, however, the lowest BP% they do is 5%. Do you still think that this would be too severe?

Heather

xo

Thanks :) I'm going to take your advice and take a break from BP products until my skin has calmed down considerably!

I've struggled to find a few good BP products in the UK though, and Quinoderm looks pretty much the best, however, the lowest BP% they do is 5%. Do you still think that this would be too severe?

Heather

xo

Hey Heather, I am from the UK too :)

You can buy 2.5% from any decent chemist/pharmacy. Just go to a few and ask around and they always have some. You can also buy it from ebay, or if you're prepared to pay big postage costs get it from the US.

I've just started the regime. Although I've been using a very light application of BP for years, my skin has got slightly worse lately so I decided to apply a LOT in the past week.

However I have this redness and burning too!! Is it an allergic reaction? How long does it take to go away? Is it a normal part of the process or have i applied too much too soon?

Heather

xo

Hey Heather, I am from the UK too :)

You can buy 2.5% from any decent chemist/pharmacy. Just go to a few and ask around and they always have some. You can also buy it from ebay, or if you're prepared to pay big postage costs get it from the US.

I've just started the regime. Although I've been using a very light application of BP for years, my skin has got slightly worse lately so I decided to apply a LOT in the past week.

However I have this redness and burning too!! Is it an allergic reaction? How long does it take to go away? Is it a normal part of the process or have i applied too much too soon?

Hey :)

Obviously I'm no doctor! But I reckon it's because you applied too much BP...like I did XD If I was you, I would stop applying the BP ASAP and if you use an exfoliator facial wash with granuels, then stop using that too as it may cause further irritation. My skin was awful, I really came out SUPER red, but its Saturday now and the redness has almost fully subsided. Hopefully in your case the redness isn't anywhere near as severe, in which case the colour should subside between 3 - 5 days :).

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to help with the burning! Which sucks because I found the burning sensation totally unbearable! I couldn't sleep properly with it at all and my face was incredibly sore. I tried putting a flannel in some full fat milk and putting it on my face which my Mum thought would help...but it didn't REALLY. It sort of soothed the burning, but that may have been a psycological thing! lol I also tried putting a cold, damp flannel on my face which did help! But after a while it warmed up and when I took it off my skin, it became very dry and tight again where the flannel had rubbed the moistoriser off my skin. I found that using a non-alcohol based moistoriser helped soothe my skin and hydrate it better, such as 'Olay Nightcream'. Also...after sun seemed to be pretty effective too lol. (My skin looked sunburnt...so why not treat it like it was!) However, if I wasn't too ashamed to leave my house, I would have definitly got some camolile lotion (which I can't spell), as I expect that would have been wonderfully soothing. Or possibly some sudocream, but I'm not too sure about that one. I know the camolile lotion had my Mum's backing though!

Also, try taking some ibuprofen for the pain (if it's painful), and try and keep your face moistorised, as when it has its natural oils back in the skin, I think you'll find that the burning may subside - that was certainly the case with me. The redness has now pretty much gone from my skin, but it is very, very dry still.

I hope this has helped somewhat, and that your skin recovers very, very soon!

All the best,

Heather :)

xo