Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jenberserker

Someone please help me....

hi everyone... i'm extremely worried and have tried to research it myself and have read so many different things that weren't exactly my case... so i wanted to post something here in hopes someone can tell me whats going on, what to do, and some comfort.... so please, help me. I haven't left my house for 2 weeks because of pure embarassment.

so, i am 25 and i have been on the birth control Yaz for about 2 years. I'll be honest, my whole life, i've had maybe 2-3 pimples at a time in my youth. and i never wash my face with soap... when i have, thats when i got the 2-3 pimples... it has always dried out my skin to wash my face. so when I stopped Yaz (recommended by my dr because of frequent headches) she perscribed me Errin.

after about 2 weeks of this birth control, I have over 150 pimples on my face (i counted). and i feel so disgusted with myself, that i refuse to leave my house. i try to leave all the lights in the house off so my finace doesn't have to look at me and try to not look in the mirror so i don't hate myself even more.

so after a month of errin, i insisted to be put back on yaz. i've been on yaz for 2 weeks and it hs not gotten any better... if anything, it has gotten worse. they are getting bigger, redder, and they hurt. they are concentrated on my forehead, but are also on my chin. I had a job interview 2 weeks ago and feel they tried to hurry me out and didn't even want to look me in the face.

i never wear makeup (never have, don't even know how) and i've tried washing my face 2 times a day with just regular bar soap.

what do i do? i'm tired of crying myself to sleep... are there any store-bought acne treatments i should try? should i see a doctor? or maybe get myself fit for a big paper bag for the rest of my life?

please, someone help.

hi everyone... i'm extremely worried and have tried to research it myself and have read so many different things that weren't exactly my case... so i wanted to post something here in hopes someone can tell me whats going on, what to do, and some comfort.... so please, help me. I haven't left my house for 2 weeks because of pure embarassment.

so, i am 25 and i have been on the birth control Yaz for about 2 years. I'll be honest, my whole life, i've had maybe 2-3 pimples at a time in my youth. and i never wash my face with soap... when i have, thats when i got the 2-3 pimples... it has always dried out my skin to wash my face. so when I stopped Yaz (recommended by my dr because of frequent headches) she perscribed me Errin.

after about 2 weeks of this birth control, I have over 150 pimples on my face (i counted). and i feel so disgusted with myself, that i refuse to leave my house. i try to leave all the lights in the house off so my finace doesn't have to look at me and try to not look in the mirror so i don't hate myself even more.

so after a month of errin, i insisted to be put back on yaz. i've been on yaz for 2 weeks and it hs not gotten any better... if anything, it has gotten worse. they are getting bigger, redder, and they hurt. they are concentrated on my forehead, but are also on my chin. I had a job interview 2 weeks ago and feel they tried to hurry me out and didn't even want to look me in the face.

i never wear makeup (never have, don't even know how) and i've tried washing my face 2 times a day with just regular bar soap.

what do i do? i'm tired of crying myself to sleep... are there any store-bought acne treatments i should try? should i see a doctor? or maybe get myself fit for a big paper bag for the rest of my life?

please, someone help.

please, someone help.

please, someone help.

um try dan's regimen, it's going to make things worse at first but follow it step by step and you will get clear.

Any regimen you try is not going to have instant results.

This has to be a reaction from the birth control. You should go to a dermatologist. I've had mild acne for as long as I can remember and accutane finally cleared me completely. My sister, though, was just like you, gorgeous skin and then this terrible breakout. I don't think it was due to birth control, however. Go to the derm--it sounds like you need to balance your hormones--they must be a little unbalanced now that you've switched (im not a doctor, but this must be the case). I would stick with the yaz for now--a lot of times things will get worse before they get better. I know how it feels to hate to look in mirrors and see what you're skin looks like. However, it doesn't seem like your predisposed to acne, so I am sure there will be an effective treatment for you. good luck!

First, I'm a guy, so I can't really comment on the birth control pills, but I'll try to comment on the other stuff :)

First, go take a look in the subforum titled: "Emotional and psychological effects of acne", and try to find some solutions to the emotional and stress problems related to your acne.

Secondly, bar soap is probably a bad thing to be using on your face if you have acne. It dries out your skin, and has irritants which make your acne worse. I've said this a million times, but my favorite cleanser is the one that's part of Dan's Regime. You could, of course, try some other cleanser that you find in the store that is made for acne (the less perfume/additives/medication they have, the better, in my opinion).

Finally, pimples take a long time to form, and your skin can take a while to adjust to new medication/treatment. It's only been 2 weeks since you've been on your old birth control, so it may take a few more weeks before your skin clears up again. That in mind, I'm not sure constant headaches are worth clear skin - but that's your call.

Also if it gets bad enough, and you don't clear up within the next few weeks, perhaps you should ask your doctor if there are other birth control pill options that would help with your acne that won't give you headaches. If all else fails, see a dermatologist, or try Dan's Regime.

Alright, well, I will recommend the standard treatment people are using these days. Its a combination or taking vitamins/supplements and topical stuff.

To take orally:

-Fish oil pills (2-3 a day)

-Zinc 50mg (1 a day)

-Multi-vitamin (1 a day... one a day womens maybe)

-Niacin 500mg (1 a day)

Topically:

-Gentle Facial cleanser

-Apply some benzoyl peroxide

-Then sensitive skin lotion

(do this when you wake up and before bed)

Thing to change:

-Change pillow case once a week

-Change towel once a week

-Drink more water

-Don't touch your face

This is pretty standard stuff for us acne havin folk. Do all this, stick with it for 2-3 weeks and if nothing changes then come back for help, there are other remedies. Hope it works out. Good luck!

First, I'm a guy, so I can't really comment on the birth control pills, but I'll try to comment on the other stuff :)

First, go take a look in the subforum titled: "Emotional and psychological effects of acne", and try to find some solutions to the emotional and stress problems related to your acne.

Secondly, bar soap is probably a bad thing to be using on your face if you have acne. It dries out your skin, and has irritants which make your acne worse. I've said this a million times, but my favorite cleanser is the one that's part of Dan's Regime. You could, of course, try some other cleanser that you find in the store that is made for acne (the less perfume/additives/medication they have, the better, in my opinion).

Finally, pimples take a long time to form, and your skin can take a while to adjust to new medication/treatment. It's only been 2 weeks since you've been on your old birth control, so it may take a few more weeks before your skin clears up again. That in mind, I'm not sure constant headaches are worth clear skin - but that's your call.

Also if it gets bad enough, and you don't clear up within the next few weeks, perhaps you should ask your doctor if there are other birth control pill options that would help with your acne that won't give you headaches. If all else fails, see a dermatologist, or try Dan's Regime.

thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me... i will def check out the other forum. and my friend told me to try Dial soap and Aleve. I am completely unfamiliar with dan's thing... could you post a link for me?

And I recently (since the breakout) have been trying to take a Women's One A Day hoping the vitamins work.

Would you guys recommend the Dial or some over the counter neutrogena/clearasil would be better?

having people respond and sympathize with me makes me feel a little better... sometimes with things like this- you feel like you're the only one.

thanks everyone

thanks to everyone who is responding... it does make me feel better to not only have support, but to know that i'm not the only one... sometimes with things like this, you really feel all alone.

things i've been told to try:

-neutrogena/clearasil facial cleansers (gel)

-vitamins(like one-a-day)

-aleve

-dial soap

-benzil peroxide (or something like that)

-lotion

-avoid chocolate

-switch birth control

-check oot Dans regimn (i don't know what that is)

can someone help me choose which is best? if not all?

again, i can't thank everyone enough for being so supportive... i really appreciate it. :-)

thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me... i will def check out the other forum. and my friend told me to try Dial soap and Aleve. I am completely unfamiliar with dan's thing... could you post a link for me?

And I recently (since the breakout) have been trying to take a Women's One A Day hoping the vitamins work.

Would you guys recommend the Dial or some over the counter neutrogena/clearasil would be better?

having people respond and sympathize with me makes me feel a little better... sometimes with things like this- you feel like you're the only one.

thanks everyone

Dan is the guy who runs this website :) His store is here: Click Me. He also has a whole regime laid out if your interested in trying it, just look at the top of the page under "Ger Clear". This is probably the best place to start to be honest.

If I had to choose between Dial or neutrogena/clearasil I would go for the latter.

And no worries, you're not alone at all. A quick glance at the galleries and you may learn that you don't have it as bad as you think.

i think the best thing is to see a derm asap. for the really red swollen ones you can probably get a cortizone shot. they can also prescribe you face creams or meds

i think changing the bc set this off because your body is adjusting to the new level of hormones. and then switching back would have the same reaction. I'm on bc and when i do get pimples there more hormonal acne because of the hormones however i heard yaz is good with preventing acne so your face and body just needs to adjust back.

till you get to a derm you can wash your face with a non soap cleanser like cetaphil ( i use the gentle skin cleanser which is nicer on your skin) you can also try the dan approach and use bp on your skin ( you can use the on the spot treatment from neutrogena ) if your not used to using bp products id suggest you use it on a little area first before applying it all over your face.

hope i helped

Hi Jenbeserker!

Your change in complexion is clearly a direct result of your change in birth control medication.

You see, acne is chiefly caused by a hormonal imbalance. Birth control pills also work by causing a hormonal imbalance. So when a hormonal imbalance is altered in any way, acne can arise as a result. It is not in the slightest bit surprising that you have experienced acne after changing medication. Did your Doctor not warn you of this specific risk?

Furthermore, I would suggest that the reason that your complexion didn't subsequently improve when your reverted to 'Yaz' again is because your hormonal balance had already been significantly altered by the 'Errin', and in essence, the hormonal disturbance had already been done. You hormones are probably seriously out of kilter now, and the acne has arisen as a result. And now that the acne has set in, it is likely to stay until you take drastic action.

You are in a very difficult situation. And my only recommendation would be that you should temporarily stop taking birth control medication altogether, in order to allow your bodies hormone levels to essentially 'reset' themselves. You should then restart the Yaz in acceptably progressive increments, once you have your skin back under control.

Incidentally, have your previous headaches improved since you stopped the Yaz? And had you been experiencing headaches for the whole two years that you had been taking the Yaz?

Meanwhile, whilst your body's hormones are being reset, have you started the 2.5% BP regime yet?

What has your fiance had to say about all this? Does he know what you are going through?

yes, thank you. i decided to try my own thing:

- one-a-day womens multivitamin a day

- washing my face 2x a day; using aveeno clear complextion foaming cleanser, rinsing with warm water then immediately with cold water to close the pores

- after washing my face, i use aveeno fragrence free lotion to keep my skin moisturized

- switched towels/sheets/pillow cases

- stopped picking (which when you're a picker, its an extremely hard thing to do)

and IT IS STILL GETTING WORSE everyday.

i'm going to call a doctor tomorrow and try to schedule an appointment. i've come to the conclusion that there might be something wrong with me; whether it be messed up hormones, a really bad rash, or something else i can't begin to fathom.

can someone comfort me until i go to the doctors? give me some clues on what it might be? some medicine they might perscribe? how long until it goes away?

i need some serious comforting right about now...

ok, so i decided to try my own thing:

- washing my face 2x a day; using aveeno clear complextion foaming cleanser, rinsing with warm water then immediately with cold water to close the pores

- after washing my face, i use aveeno fragrence free lotion to keep my skin moisturized

- stopped picking (which when you're a picker, its an extremely hard thing to do)

i'm going to call a doctor tomorrow and try to schedule an appointment. i've come to the conclusion that there might be something wrong with me; whether it be messed up hormones, a really bad rash, or something else i can't begin to fathom.

can someone comfort me until i go to the doctors? give me some clues on what it might be? some medicine they might perscribe? how long until it goes away?

first i wanted to answer your questions rhys:

1) Did your Doctor not warn you of this specific risk?

no... not at all. i went in complaining of abdominal pain mostly. it had messed with my complextion, but it has gotten worse. when i expressed my concerns, she just put me back on yaz.

2) Incidentally, have your previous headaches improved since you stopped the Yaz? And had you been experiencing headaches for the whole two years that you had been taking the Yaz?

yes, my headaches did go away wen i stopped yaz. although i was really confused because i had never really had an problems. when i went into the obgyn, she immediately said "oh, thats definately the yaz." so i have no idea if the headaches were related to the yaz.

3) What has your fiance had to say about all this? Does he know what you are going through?

my fiance has been nothing but supportive. he keeps telling me that its not that bad and that it keeps getting better... when i point out to him that i realize it, he says that it doesn't matter anyway and to hang in there, that it will get better. its hard to believe though, because its been 3 weeks with worsening results.

4) Meanwhile, whilst your body's hormones are being reset, have you started the 2.5% BP regime yet?

i decided to try my own thing:

You should NOT close the pores with cold water, then pores get clogged( especially you are breaking up).

To go derm is the best option. But your acne is most likely hormonal(chin acne is many times, hormonal...). I'm taking birth control pills(BP), too. The brand is Ortho Tri-Cyclen. But when I switched Yaz(because of my acne), it made me break out so badly...so I had to switch back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen...But it took me 3 months to completely heal from it. :(

Make sure to use oil free face wash, and moisturizer.

Hope your skin will get better!

Hi Jen!

Firstly, thank you for replying fully to my questions. So few people every do that! :)

But I am afraid I don't believe in comforting. I am more of a believer in the 'will to power' style of positive thought, best propounded by the greatest philosopher of the 20th century, Frederich Nietzsche. There is no place for softness or pity, when confronting your arch nemesis of acne. There is only the necessity for strength and resilience. I also firmly believe that distraction is always the best way to deal with pain. Get some engrossing hobbies on the go as soon as possible!

So what makes your doctor think that your recent headaches would be caused by a drug which you have been taking happily already for several years? Doctor's can be such frauds. It is most likely that she did not specify the Yaz because it is most medically likely to have been causing the problems, but rather, because it is what she would consider to be a 'supplementary lifestyle drug', which she can readily alter. This is a classic example of a Doctor taking the easy option, without any regard for the consequences. You can probably tell from everything that I do and say, that I don't trust Doctors. In my opinion, 99% of them a complete frauds. Especially the so-called 'dermatologist' bunch.

Anyway, I must assume that you haven't started the BP regime yet? And you did your own thing and the acne only continued to get worse? Yes, it will do that. I would recommend that you get on the BP as a temporary measure as soon as possible.

It is so good to hear that your fiance is understanding and supportive! You will definitely get through this! :)

God, do I ever know how devastating this is. I was in the same situation in December and 4 months after that. From no pimples to not wanting to leave the house. I became obsessed with getting rid of them (including joining this site). It was all because I stopped taking Alesse. I went back on the pill and it took 6 months to fully clear up. You just have to wait it out my friend, during, I tried a lot of things that didn't really work. Just make sure you take the makeup completely off and wash your face with a gentle cleanser. It's hormonal so, in my own opinion, no topical will really give you the results you are searching for. Just hang in there.

Hi Jen -

I got cystic acne when stopping birth control. Aveeno cleansers also made me break out pretty badly. I started supplementing with Niacin and using a natural soap, and I cleared. My personal log is in my signature. There are before and after pictures in the thread. Go to the doctor to make sure it is indeed acne and not something else. Good luck!

It's hormonal so, in my own opinion, no topical will really give you the results you are searching for. Just hang in there.

That is definitely some of the best advice I have ever read. :)

There is nothing you can do to significantly improve acne with mere topical products. Acne is a hormonal sensitivity problem. You can either address the hormone, or address the sebum production which is triggered by the hormones. But slopping costly cosmetic rubbish on your skin will never solve anything. The only topical treatment worth considering is benzoyl peroxide 2.5% - but even that is only a temporary alleviator.

Be strong - and go with what you know is effective. It's all a matter of either hormones or sebum.

Hey there =]

Well, I could have written your story but replaced your age with my age (21). FORTUNATELY, I have cleared my skin to almost 100% - I still get breakouts around my period, but breakouts that can totally be tolerated. My story is so simmilar to yours! I head clear skin my entire life, maybe a few pimples here and there but I never needed to wear makeup. I used to get "you have such nice skin!" comments when I got my makeup done at makeup counters! It all happened last year, in the winter 09 semester. I had gone to the doctor and asked if I should switch from orthotricyclen to ortho lo since I've been on tricyclen for about 3 years, and I really like it, and wanted something with less hormones. He said that it was basically the same effects, and that I should try it, so I did. I got through one month of it, and I broke out SO badly with cystic acne. Mostly on my chin, I would get new breakouts EVERY (literally) single day. I skipped SO many classes, but managed to pass that semester. I know all about trying to hide your face from your fiance... My husband was so understanding, but I would always feel ugly because I knew that my face wasn't the same face he'd fallen in love with... The good thing is that my husband is SO supportive and helped me to tough it out and get through it.

What you're doing right now, like researching a billion things on the internet, I have been through. I have read SO many things online, a lot from this site, a tonne of product reviews, and I was able to find a product that finally worked for me. I used a salicylic acid toner from neutragena with an alcohol base and I noticed that my breakouts were happening less frequently, but my skin was super dry.. so I went online trying to find a good quality salicylic acid product. I found out that a lot of members recommended Paula's Choice products, so I read some reviews on makeupalley (my holy grail site for product reviews), and found that Paula's choice 2% BHA liquid was favorited by a LOT of people. I ordered a few samples, and found that my face was WAY less dry, and my breakouts continued to lesson, and go away faster than they usually did. I've now been using her BHA for almost 4 months now, and my skin is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. It's reached the point where I hardly have any red marks left, and they were SO dark before. I'm so happy with Paula's Choice products, I'm going to order a few more things to incorporate into my regimin, like her cleanser, because I'm still using a drugstore brand cleanser, and I wonder if my skin would look even better in using a really good cleanser as well.

I'm convinced that your breakouts are due to a change in your BCP, when I started to read your post, I was thinking oh no... you have to go through what I went through. I haven't ever gone for hormone testing, but it is on my immediate to do list. Also, just to give you a timeline...

Winter 09 semester (Jan - April) is when my breakouts happened, so about 4 monthes

May - June breakouts under control, I had taken a spring class and felt confident in my skin

July - August - currently, very happy with skin, slight hyperpigmentation, but I always think how BAD my skin got, and what condition it is in now, and I'm so thankful that I've managed to clear my skin this much.

Well, I hope this helped, and trust me, I know how much is royally sucks to be in the situation you're in, but things will get better. Another thing is to exercise, I try to do 30 mins of cardio every day, or every other day, and drink lots of water... The exercise really helpts to balance your hormones, and makes you feel a lot better. :)

Take care!!!