Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forever16

Has anyone ever OUTGROWN acne??

Just curious..

Im 16 and I have had mild/moderate acne for about a year now but i was wondering if anyone has ever outgrown acne??

I hope that i will someday because i get my acne gene from my dad but he out grew it in his 20's so im kinda hoping ill have the same luck:/

I am outgrowing it, I had it at 12-13 now 19 didnt use any proper medication untill recently

In my experience acne wont heal itself you have to help it heal itself.

I first started breaking out on my forehead when I was 11. I'm 20 now, and over the years it has strangely just progressed down my face. A few years ago, it was awful on my cheeks. Now it's concentrated on the bottom half of my face especially the chin area. It's 9 years now. I hope I grow out of it.

most of us in our late teens/very early 20's are still going through puberty, which is hell for our hormones. More then likely once we are through puberty, so will the majority of our acne.

Unless C'est wants to reply to this message and disagree :P

My dad said he had it until he was 19 then it dissapeared , my brother also had it until about 18. Im 18 now and im still getting it although its not as bad as a couple of years ago. Although my acne is quite mild anyway i hope i will outgrow it soon

I think it's important to check and see how our parents' and close relatives' skin was when they were younger, how it progressed as they got older, and when/if they grew out of it, which the OP did.

Some of us will grow out of acne after puberty--which, for some people, lasts into our twenties. Others won't be so lucky, and will have to deal with adult acne.

In my family, for example, several people have had acne well into their forties and fifties. My uncle is fifty one years old, and still needs a prescription for tretinoin to keep his acne under control. I, myself, am halfway through my twenties, and still deal with acne (although The Regimen keeps me pretty much clear). I've accepted the fact that this may very well be something I'll have to deal with for years to come.

Basically, some of us grow out of acne, and some of us have to deal with it for the majority of our lives. We're all different.

I want to know why I was singled out for being disagreeable, though! : D

had acne for about 8 yars now turn 20 next month and its just got steadly worse for me with no sign of stoppin :(

Most of my Mom's side of the family has/had acne. I have cousins with faces full of icepick scars, and an aunt that is 31 and still suffering. I'm just grateful that I have mostly non-inflamed acne and not the severe acne that they have suffered with.

Actually, I think that the older I get the more my skin kinda calms down. I've had some form of acne since age 10 or 11. When I was 12 and 13 were the worst years for me as far as inflamed acne goes, and I've had less redness/big pimples since then. Now if I have an inflamed spot it stays small. I can't get rid of the freakin bumps though! lol

I first started breaking out on my forehead when I was 11. I'm 20 now, and over the years it has strangely just progressed down my face. A few years ago, it was awful on my cheeks. Now it's concentrated on the bottom half of my face especially the chin area. It's 9 years now. I hope I grow out of it.

Same here. I started breaking out at about 14-15, and it started on my forehead horribly. By 19-20, it was on my cheeks and chin only, and now it seems to be diminishing, but that's after cystic breakouts with my 2nd pregnancy. So, yeah it's stopping, but I have bad marks and scars.

I would say that I am - or I have. I began to experience REAL acne when I was around 17. It was concentrated all on my cheeks, with a sporadic spot on my forehead or chin. I began treating it with Proactiv after about 6 months, which definitely helped me. I have frequently changed up my skin care routine since then. I have not had one pimple on my cheeks in years. Sometimes I'll get one on my forehead which I attribute to hair products or my hair in general. But right now when I get a spot, 99% of the time it's on my chin. I'm pretty sure it has to do with my cycle - which is not regular, that's just how my body works - but it's certainly not severe enough for me to go on oral medication. In my opinion, I think after a certain point we "grow out of" acne, but in certain spots (like for me, my cheeks). In the long run, I think I will always be treating my skin with SOMETHING, but it doesn't bother me that much.

its strange for me. Neither my mom, dad or my brothers had acne. I have one uncle on my moms side of the family who had a lil acne but nothing crazy. This is why sometimes i don't believe the gene theory. My acne was really really bad when i was around 16. It covered basically my entire face and was cystic most of the time

Im 24 and still have acne. Its not as bad as when i was younger but for someone my age its very embarrassing, especially when someone mistakes you for a 18 year old. I have had bouncers at bar's refuse to let me in because they thought i was not of age and had a fake id.

Hopefully yes i will outgrow it someday but it does not look like it will happen anytime soon.

everyone outgrows acne, eventually except for a few rare occurrences which found that acne remaind with some adults into the age of about 25! but acen WILL be grown out of. Learn more at