Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good idea. Reason being is that any moisturizer, even if its oil free,

will cause clogged pores if used in a sufficient amount. Best

to avoid them unless you're going out

what about moisturizers like pure aloe vera and emu oil? they're supposed to be good for redmarks from accutane, and contain healing properties associated with dryness.

My experience is that moisturizers will minimzie the appearance of acne, but rarely help to improve the condition.

If you're staying in I wouldn't use them

Acne thrives in irritated skin, especially layers and layers of dead skin. On top of that, acne is formed when dead skin and oil clog pores. Do yourself a favor and moisturize.

Again, any moisturizer use can potentially aggravate acne, even if its

non-comedogenic. I would limit use to times when you go out or when

your skin is simply too flaky....skin always heals better in the absence

of anything on the skin.

Acne thrives in irritated skin, especially layers and layers of dead skin. On top of that, acne is formed when dead skin and oil clog pores.  Do yourself a favor and moisturize.

Do NOT listen to people who advocate not moisturising whilst on accutane. Instead, follow Elsa and Yossarin's advice - You should use a moisturiser throughout accutane, as the drug is so powerful that it can severely dry out your sebum glands. This is what makes the drug effective, but without moisturising, your skin can become TOO dry and can be damaged much more easily, beside the fact that the peeling can look unnattractive.

Whilst on accutane, I used emu oil as a moisturiser and found it to be excellent as relieving the dryness. The VAST majority of users of emu oil find it to be non-comedogenic, ie: won't clog your pores, and it certainly won't harm to use it for a couple of weeks and evaluating how your skin handles it.

Whatever happens, you should always moisturise on accutane. You can cause skin damage from the excessive peeling if you don't. If you are reluctant to try emu oil, I would still advise using a pure moisturiser such as NA-PCA or those available from Livingnature.com

Moisturising whilst on accutane is extremely important - it will not help you get better or quicker results if you don't moisturise. You should always use a non-comedogenic moisturiser, though.

Good luck with your treatment. smile.gif

Im gonna go with not moisturizing as I too would think it'd just take longer to clear the acne and make it worse with moisturizer clogging the pores.

My derm told me not to put any moisturizer/sunscreen on my face at all. To just use a gentle cleaner. Now he's gotta have some good reason for this as he's been a dermatologist for many many years and had tons of patients on accutane over his career. Im gonna stick with his advice and not put anything on.

And someone mentioned the dry skin being unattractive. Do you honestly think the acne itself is attractive anyways? So what is dry skin on top of the acne for a few months? No big deal to me...tough it out

Well. If you can handle six months of incredibly dry skin - flaking, peeling, etc, you're a better man than me. B)

Also, sometimes you can take dermatologist's advice with a pinch of salt. They obviously know what they're talking about, but in a lot of cases they would dismiss things outright that they don't know about/ haven't heard about, that are often extremely effective if you go by people's experiences on this site. Dermatologists are very much by the book.

And OBVIOUSLY I do not think the acne is attractive. rolleyes.gif BUT people are less likely to make comments about acne in my experience than if you have a load of dead skin hanging off your face - acne is more understandable to ignorant people...

that's strange how some derms have differing opinions...my derm told me that while on accutane I should use...her exact words "a greasy moisturizer".

I went to my derm today and she did recommend I moisturize daily. She also precribed me this moisturiing antibiotic cream to use with my accutane 4 times daily. check out my new post if you know anything about fucidic acid cream.

I couldn't agree more with ross. I would recommend moisturizing day and night -- even midday if your face feels dry. I'm 4months post-accutane and breakout from dry skin.

My brother is now on accutane and hadn't moisturized until i came home from college and saw his skin was a disaster. It's extremely bad if you don't moisturize for a number of reasons, including AGING. It'll probably cause even more acne in addition (skin tries to replenish the dryness so produces more oil there)...

It's still up to you. I used Cetaphil Moisturizer throughout my therapy. If your skin can tolerate no moisturizer than all the better for you...

I COMPLETELY agree with the above two posters - and we have been on accutane so we are speaking from experience. Often this is better advice than that given by a dermatologist who has never been on accutane themselves.

And Jonesy's right - if you think you can deal with the dryness then I'll bet you're in for a shock as you hit the time when the side effects really start to kick in.

Please moisturise. It won't prevent accutane from being effective. smile.gif

For the last 2 weeks I thought that leaving it dry was the solution, just kinda letting the accutane work it's magic. However, just when I thought all my zits had dried up some new ones would pop up. I think moisturizing is imporant now and I wish I did it earlier.

Yep, not moisturising is also counter-productive. Clear skin needs balance. Having NO oil on your skin and stripping it of the stuff it needs to keep supple is something you do not want to do. Clear and balanced skin actually needs some oil. It is a bit of a misconception that ANY oil equals acne. Not true. People with perfect or near perfect skin all have oil on their skin, even if you can't see it on the surface. You need some oil, it's just that people with acne have too much.