Notifications
Clear all

Lighting - Effect On Acne Scarring

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:04 pm

I've been wanting to do this for a while....

Often times I read that people are impressed by how before and after photos look. I have taken the time to photograph myself in 8 different lighting conditions and post them on a website. Note that this was done on the same day, at the same angle but that each was taken with slightly different lighting. I did this in the hopes of educating people to realize that even though before and after photos may look impressive, looks may be deceiving. If before and after photos are to be properly judged then the lighting must be as consistent as possible. Lighting won't ever be perfect, but the more consistent it is, the more accurately you can judge before and after photos.

Also, this will help explain how sometimes you look in the mirror and see yourself differently -- it's very dependent on lighting.

http://www.tamaramadden.com/Lighting/Lighting.htm

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:09 pm

Wow..thanks Tamara!!

Saw your pic....for some reason I always thought you had a long hair

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:11 pm

Wow..thanks Tamara!!

Saw your pic....for some reason I always thought you had a long hair 

MemberMember
(@jc)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:15 pm

Her pic is in the 'Meet the people' thread. Yours is there too Obi! Yet another titillating butt shot. lol.gif

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:18 pm

Oh ok...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:18 pm

Wow, Tamara, that is very interesting and helpful!

It seems like your scars are improving from the needling! Your face looks more 'plump' and smooth in texture than the last pics I saw of you when you had the needling done.

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:20 pm

Wow, Tamara, that is very interesting and helpful!

It seems like your scars are improving from the needling! Your face looks more 'plump' and smooth in texture than the last pics I saw of you when you had the needling done.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:29 pm

That was VERY helpful. Thanks so much, Tamara!!

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 06/20/2004 2:30 pm

That was VERY helpful.  Thanks so much, Tamara!! 
MemberMember
(@manicdepression)

Posted : 06/20/2004 3:03 pm

This is something you really should put in the FAQ's.

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 06/20/2004 3:08 pm

Excellent idea, thanks! smile.gif

MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 06/20/2004 3:43 pm

wow..tamara your skin is looking sooooo good.. seriously!!

MemberMember
(@badass912)

Posted : 06/20/2004 11:04 pm

your skin is looking great keep it up!

yea I agree with the before and after picture, they say the PHOTOS aren't retouched, but they get 10 minutes with a makeup team, good lighting and a fake tan before they take the "actual unretouched photos"

MemberMember
(@birdie)

Posted : 06/21/2004 1:05 am

Nice job, Tamara! That really illustrates the lighting issue very well.

MemberMember
(@healtysceptic)

Posted : 06/21/2004 12:46 pm

Before and after photos are so unreliable as to render them usless in judging outcomes of procedures. Your post is brilliant in exposing this fraud. If I was you I would start a ' before and after skin procedures" web site to illustrate this fact. I think many potential skin treatment people would stumble on your site and become much more savvy when viewing before and after photos on doctors websites. I think an expose is in order.

James

MemberMember
(@rossignol)

Posted : 06/21/2004 12:52 pm

This is yet another incredibly enlightening post from you, Tamara; once again, thanks for taking the time to put all this information together. We are lucky to have someone like you here to provide us with such useful stuff! smile.gif

By the way, I agree with the others who have said your skin seems to have improved since the last pictures. Maybe this is evidence of the long term effects of needling...?

Thanks again! B)

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 06/21/2004 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. smile.gif

I agree -- Just because a photo hasn't been touched up, doesn't mean that there aren't other things that are making the skin look improved. Other elements that can play a part are: angles, reflectors, filters, light/dark clothing, makeup, etc.... Unfortunately most people aren't aware of these things so they buy into the idea of perfection.

James - Your idea is interesting, and that's essentially why I put this webpage together. I wouldn't be able to use other peoples' photographs because of possible copyright infringement though, so that is why I chose to use my own photos. Perhaps, eventually I will make a few other pages on the elements listed above.

Rossignol - Yes, I attribute my positive results to two sessions of needling and weekly lactic acid peels.

MemberMember
(@laina)

Posted : 06/21/2004 9:44 pm

Her pic is in the 'Meet the people' thread.  Yours is there too Obi!  Yet another titillating butt shot.  lol.gif
MemberMember
(@rossignol)

Posted : 06/22/2004 6:11 am

Laina, it's in the lounge - pinned at the top. smile.gif

MemberMember
(@tomorrowneverknows)

Posted : 06/22/2004 8:05 am

wow ...i see u r scars have improved !!!! a lot !!!!

MemberMember
(@portlandboy23)

Posted : 01/03/2005 10:29 pm

bump just for such a good topic and effort put forward. kudos Tamara.

MemberMember
(@whittle1)

Posted : 08/17/2005 10:34 pm

In a very bright light I can see my scars in all their uglyness evil.gif

In a normal/average light my scars are hardly noticable smile.gif

I know how you feel when you wake in the morning, you wish your scars would just disapear. But they don't. I feel your anger and depression, and i pray that we can all get through this together in life.

Hardcore Til I Die cool.gif

MemberMember
(@orochi)

Posted : 06/25/2007 12:36 pm

Yea I actually knew about the lighting effects... and its true. Its a good thing you shared this.

MemberMember
(@ttll)

Posted : 01/10/2013 9:22 am

The link in the first post doesn't work any longer: http://www.tamaramadden.com/Lighting/Lighting.htm

Can someone post a link that works? Thanks!