Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cprlfred

huge increase in oily skin

Hello,

I've read lots of posts in this forum but never posted myself. I am a caucasian male 30 years old. I've suffered with acne ever since I was 10 years old. When I was 17 it mostly went away and then around age 24 started to creep back. It is now the worst its ever been.

I am currently taking antibiotics which help with inflammation.

Abut 6 months ago, I noticed a large increase in oil on my face. It gets worse and worse. It used to be every couple of hours it would come back after wiping/washing my face, then every hour, then ecery 30 minutes. My nose is so oily, that the oil pours out immediately after wiping it off with a napkin

I should mention I have rather large pores as a gentic trait.

I was wondering what suggestions or help anyone could offer?

I've been getting more and more depressed. I cant look at myself in the mirror anymore and I dread going out in public.

any help, ideas, please.....

thank you

It sounds like you are a slave to your testosterone, like many of us truly macho acne sufferers. The sebaceous glands respond to testosterone. There is nothing more manly than acne. There is also nothing more irritating!

Your bad feelings towards yourself are only naturally, but they can easily be avoided. Have you started the Benzoyl Peroxied ("BP") 2.5% regime yet?

U might want to try French Green Clay or Fuller's Earth Clay you can find online or in health food stores it comes in powder form & is great for drawing oil out & can help with acne also.

Make into a mask w/distilled water/lemon juice or ACV.

Hope it helps!!!

Hmm... that doesn't sound too manly, though, does it! ;)

Too manly? Wut does that have to do w/findn a regimen that gets ur skin in balance??? :huh:

Well I'm not a guy but I used to have oily skin especially in the t-zone and a couple enlarged pores on my cheeks. I started using Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub and it seemed to get rid of the oilyness and reduced the pore size pretty substantially. I've used it for like a year now.

i know this is unrelated to the topic but XenoMiang, did u play Xenogears by any chance lol?

Lol, yes I love the game :D

ahhhh.... as depressed as I am, I must admit I I feel good that my post somehow spawned a discussion of the videogame xenogears.

I'm going to look into this product: Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub. I hope it helps. I've tried so many other products though

rhys Posted Aug 10 2009, 09:49 AM :

It sounds like you are a slave to your testosterone, like many of us truly macho acne sufferers. The sebaceous glands respond to testosterone. There is nothing more manly than acne. There is also nothing more irritating!

- if only people thought so.... "damn look at that oily acne face! There goes a REAL man!!"

...seriously though, I certainly don't feel very manly.

Is there such thing as a hormone disorder??

The only thing that can shut down those oil glands is Accutane. To a lesser extent, Tazorac. I'd see a Dermatologist and talk about if either of those is an option for you.

Good luck!

Is there such thing as a hormone disorder??

Yes! Almost every acne sufferer has one. It is either a sensitivity to testosterone, or an overproduction of testosterone. Take your pick. Unless you receive expert medical attention, no regular doctor will go to the effort of trying to find out which camp you fall into.

And that is why so many people just take the short-cut and treat the result of the hormone problem - the consequential sebum production - by taking accutane.

Which route of treatment do you think would be most viable for you? :)