Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklee16

Face is so dry from Tane. Anybody know of a good facial lotion/moisturizer

I've been on accutane for about 5 months right now and have been washing my face with a acne facial wash and my face is starting to peel from the dryness. Does anybody know of any facial lotions or moisturizers that will get rid of the dryness without clogging up my pores. I'm a guy so I don't know much about facial lotions lol... so any type of advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Are you on accutane? Because if you are I know that you should go for a very gentle face wash... in other words, those acne face washes that we are all so used to purchasing should not be your face wash.

I use Johnson & Johnson's head-to-toe baby wash. I moisturize with neutrogena oil-free SPF 15 moisturizer. This moisturizer was the only one that didn't "sting" my skin and it feels light so you might consider using a 'heavier' cream at night. I recently bought emu oil from ebay and I am just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I will update you on that product.

...have been washing my face with a acne facial wash and my face is starting to peel from the dryness. Does anybody know of any facial lotions or moisturizers that will get rid of the dryness without clogging up my pores.

While on accutane you should not use a product that is specifically made for acne (such as a face wash which probably has an ingredient like glycolic acid or salicylic acid) because those ingredients can be harsh on your skin while it is in a more sensitive and fragile state because of the accutane. Your skin also needs at least a few months to recover and get back to full strength after finishing accutane, so continue to be careful with what you use for at least 6 months following, and some people suggest 9 or 12 months.

If you feel the need to use a cleanser at all (instead of just water) you can try a gentle one like CeraVe's Hydrating Cleanser. The other suggestion of the Johnson & Johnson's baby product would also be a good way to go (in general, anything designed for a baby, especially from a reputable company like J&J, is intended to be very gentle and therefore good for adults with skin issues).

As for moisturizers, there are probably a bunch that would work well for you. What I used was CeraVe's Moisturizing Lotion and Cerave's Moisturizing Cream (the "Cream" is a little heavier), and when things were extremely dry I would use Aquaphor Healing Ointment from the brand Eucerin. I generally used the Aquaphor at night though because it is very thick and looks kind of slimy, so it's not the most desired look to be seen with (but it is effective so for at least nighttime it could help).

Thanks for your guys input, I really appreciate it. I honestly never knew that I was not supposed to be using a acne facial wash while on Accutane. My Derm tells me to use a facial wash... so I assumed he was talking about an acne facial wash since thats what I've been using for the past couple of years.

I'll make sure to try some of the moisturizers that you all recommended. Thanks!