Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, I'm considering taking Accutane for my severe cystic acne. My acne started when I was about 14 years old, gradually moving from mild inflamed pimples and whiteheads to cysts developing on my forehead and now cheeks. I am now 18.

I've tried a lot of things; tried all the holistic approaches and all the diets from the holistic forum, because I'm very nervous about taking drugs and all the side-effects that it comes with. However, I'm starting to lose hope. My dermatologist put me on the antibiotic Doxycycline which I have been taking for about a month. It has cleared my forehead of cysts completely, but the red marks that remain are really distinct. I still have some cysts on my cheeks and around the mouth.

Now I have a few concerns that I would like to ask. Of course I will ask my dermatologist, but I actually trust the opinions of people who have taken Accutane themselves. (:

1. I used to have very oily skin, but I started taking fish oil regularly and my skin has been normal since then. Will Accutane help? Because all the positive stories I've read are people who started out with super oily skin and experienced dry skin throughout their course.

2. If my background acne information sounds like you and you took Accutane, did it help for you?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Hey guys, I'm considering taking Accutane for my severe cystic acne. My acne started when I was about 14 years old, gradually moving from mild inflamed pimples and whiteheads to cysts developing on my forehead and now cheeks. I am now 18.

I've tried a lot of things; tried all the holistic approaches and all the diets from the holistic forum, because I'm very nervous about taking drugs and all the side-effects that it comes with. However, I'm starting to lose hope. My dermatologist put me on the antibiotic Doxycycline which I have been taking for about a month. It has cleared my forehead of cysts completely, but the red marks that remain are really distinct. I still have some cysts on my cheeks and around the mouth.

Now I have a few concerns that I would like to ask. Of course I will ask my dermatologist, but I actually trust the opinions of people who have taken Accutane themselves. (:

1. I used to have very oily skin, but I started taking fish oil regularly and my skin has been normal since then. Will Accutane help? Because all the positive stories I've read are people who started out with super oily skin and experienced dry skin throughout their course.

2. If my background acne information sounds like you and you took Accutane, did it help for you?

Hi Simplicate. Accutane will help for your oily skin. I am 18 and had very very oily skin before Accutane but it really help me a lot in reducing the oil production (like 50-70%) and I'm only on low dose of Accutane.

I can't answer your second question coz I'm only on my third month of Accuttane and my breakouts are worst than ever right now.

Hi Simplicate. Accutane will help for your oily skin. I am 18 and had very very oily skin before Accutane but it really help me a lot in reducing the oil production (like 50-70%) and I'm only on low dose of Accutane.

I can't answer your second question coz I'm only on my third month of Accuttane and my breakouts are worst than ever right now.

Thanks for replying! Well, the thing is, my skin isn't very oily at all. It's not oily and not dry (except for the areas with acne, the skin seems to be flaking/peeling off lol). I'm really scared that my skin will just turn seriously dry, and that my acne isn't because of oil overproduction.

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck on your journey! I'm sure they'll clear in time.

If you used to have really oily skin, then that means that your skin is naturally oily...the Accutane would probably help you. Even if your skin is better now using fish oil, it would probably return to its previous state if you stopped taking it.

My background is similar - I've had acne since I was around 13 or 14. I tried everything (Doxycycline included!) and nothing worked. I'm 23 now, and in my fourth month of Accutane with the clearest skin I've had in a decade.

Don't worry about the side effects - they may effect you, they may not. I've had no side effects except for the slightly annoying chapped lips and dry skin. I'm sure there are tons of people who will tell you the same. Yes, the side effects can be dangerous if your body reacts to the drug in that way...but there's no way to tell.

I'm 24 now, wishing I started Accutane much younger. I'd say go for it.

Thanks for your post, I really appreciate it. It made me feel a lot better. I'm just a little worried about the initial breakout and how since Accutane makes your skin more prone to scarring it'll stay for a long time. I heard emu oil and AHA helps, are those allowed to be used while on Accutane?