Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
max266

Accutane changes your DNA?

So I was randomly using Google to research isotretinoin and on wikipedia it says the following under pharmacodynamics:

"Isotretinoin's exact mechanism of action is unknown. However it is known that, like other retinoids, the drug alters DNA transcription."

What exactly does "alters DNA transcription" mean?

Alteration of DNA transcription is by no means DNA alteration. DNA transcription means the copying of your DNA into a message which is than used for making proteins.

Put it this way, DNA is a blueprint or template and is very stable. DNA transcription is always ongoing because our body constantly produces proteins it needs so thus a sequence of our DNA known as gene is copied into a message known as mRNA which is than read and use as a code to make proteins. This is DNA transcription and in no way your DNA will be altered because it remains as a blueprint for constant DNA transcription.

Our body has about 30,000 genes which means we have about 30,000 different blueprints for making proteins. An alteration of DNA transcription could be a change of gene expression which is a change in the proteins that are made. Examples could be one, the amount of mRNA produce is reduced, so thus the number if proteins made are reduced. Or secondly, the entire gene is not read thus resulting in a different kind of protein made. There could be other scenarios too.

Alteration of DNA means mutatuon, meaning your DNA is permanently altered so thus the main blueprint has changed and from then on any protein that is made is permanently changed. That's why people talk about genetic diseases. It's cause mainly due to mutation. Only under rare severe circumstances does a healthy individual's DNA mutates, that is being exposed to high toxic levels of chemical mutagens or genetic engineering.

:wub: Maddy, I love it when you talk science.

Maddy001- Nice explanation of DNA...

Max266- I can't say how reliable Wikipedia is since anyone can change things on there, though I won't disagree that in some Accutane does alter DNA. I believe James Crandall, Ph.D. UMASS Medical School Neuroscientist has the best explanation on how Accutane works and there has been futher studies into his information. (I will not post thoose on here though, but if one wants to read them I will be glad to pm them) There are tons of Info on Retinoids and gene expression.

"Retinoic acid(active form of Accutane) induces diffrentiation and reduces proliferation of stem and progenitor cells. It works on acne by inducing similar events in basal sebocytes. These same action also lead to 13-cis-retinoic's (accutane's) side effects, and these are directed towards proliferating cells in the adult such as in the skin, gut and bone. A wide ranging effect of retinoic acid is to inhibit proliferation in dividing cells, and this accounts for its frequent consideration as a anti-cancer agent."

:wub: Maddy, I love it when you talk science.

Thanks! I love to talk science too, you know share the knowlege around.