Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jessicauofw

I NEED to hear some good news about this!!!!

Hey all,

I've been reading around this site a lot lately and noticed that A LOT, A LOOOOT of women get their acne back WORSE when they stop taking the BCP. Is this a permanent thing or more like a flare up that lasts awhile and then goes away??? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD STORIES ABOUT STOPPING THE PILL AND NOT GETTING WORSE SKIN? lol........a good story would be nice to hear cuz now I feel I will be a slave to the pill until the day I die lol.

Jess

I'm freaking out too athough I'm still on my third month on the pill. My doctor told me she will keep me on the pill for a year, and I'm already dreading the time when I have to stop taking it. And so far I have not heard good stories about coming off the pill.

I never had acne and I was taking the pill for seven years... then I went off to give my body a break. 5 months later I had the worst acne of my life, to the point I wouldn't even leave my house sometimes. I went back on birth control 6 months ago and my skin is ALMOST back to normal. I'm sorry I don't have any good news for you... I'm also worried what I'm going to do if I ever want to get pregnant.

My advice would be not to worry about the future but deal in the present. If you are getting relief now, then be happy for that. There might be ways to wean off of them and keep the breakouts to a minimum. In the future you can look at alternatives because they are out there. Some people respond to lasers quite well, and if I was going through this again, that's what I would try.

I never had acne and I was taking the pill for seven years... then I went off to give my body a break. 5 months later I had the worst acne of my life, to the point I wouldn't even leave my house sometimes. I went back on birth control 6 months ago and my skin is ALMOST back to normal. I'm sorry I don't have any good news for you... I'm also worried what I'm going to do if I ever want to get pregnant.

So has taken almost 6 months to get back to normal? Man it takes alot of patience doesn't it? Were you ever at the point where you did not think they would work again? Oh, and my skin was absolutely flawless when I was pregnant with my son. It was so cool. With my daughter, eh, not so much. Some people get great skin with all pregnancies.

So has taken almost 6 months to get back to normal? Man it takes alot of patience doesn't it? Were you ever at the point where you did not think they would work again? Oh, and my skin was absolutely flawless when I was pregnant with my son. It was so cool. With my daughter, eh, not so much. Some people get great skin with all pregnancies.

For me it took 2 months on the pill for my skin to clear. Now I only have red scars and they are not that bad. I do worry about the time when I will be off the pill, but I will take your advice and enjoy the present.

I'm wondering if all bcp's can cause breakouts after women stop taking them or if it's just related to a few..........I see a lot of women having problems after stopping yasmin and diane35.....I haven't really heard anything negative about stopping any other type of pill hmmmmm..........

Any thoughts?

I took BCP for about two years, and have been off it for about a year and a half.

My acne got slightly better while on BCP. When I stopped taking them, my skin did not get worse, but just went back to how it was before I started BCP.

I used Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Guest missyjean130

Someone above said they gave their body a "break" from it? Your body doesn't have to take breaks,it not going to cause health issues if you dont take breaks...

I took BCP for about two years, and have been off it for about a year and a half.

My acne got slightly better while on BCP. When I stopped taking them, my skin did not get worse, but just went back to how it was before I started BCP.

I used Ortho Tri Cyclen.

This is comforting to know because I am on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and my acne is pretty much controlled. I do get the occaisional pimple here and there when I'm about to "pay my monthly bill" and they're usually on my chin. I use a .05% Retin cream at night for my chin and when I see spots elevating on my forhead, I spot treat with .05 Retin cream and they go away after two days.

At some point I will have to get off BCP to start a family. I am hoping the post pill breakout for Ortho Lo won't be so bad. I plan on mitigating post-pill breakouts with a new regimen to control the oil (i.e., gentle cleanser, tea tree oil or MaMa, followed by moisturizer) and to also take supplements that will help get my hormones back to their original levels.

I know for a fact that if I skip my pill for one day, my face is an oil slick by the end of the day/early next day. This is how I remember to take my pill if I forgot it.

I also notice my skin is crappier (i.e., my chin) during the summers when it gets humid.

I know I went off topic, but I just HAD to comment on your post. Before going on BCP, I was taking antibiotics everyday and using Retin A at night. I did have some clear days, but then I'd get pimples around that time of the month. My acne was at its worst at 17 when I didn't take my antibiotics and Retin A gel.

Not sure what the future has in store for me. Getting off BCP scares me a little, but I'm obbsessed with this website and plan on reading Breaking Out by Lydia Preseton to gain more knowledge on this matter. This book was highly rated on Amazon.com and I suggested any woman suffering from adult acne check it out.

I've been on the pill for about 3 years, just stopped this month because we are thinking of starting our family this year. I can't tell if my acne is worse, or just back to the way it was pre-pill. Lots of whiteheads and very oily. I'm currently using proactiv. Wondering if there is anything else excpet washing and waiting that I can do!!!

Here's the good news answer you're looking for:

I had horrible, terrible, cry-every-time-I-looked-in-the-mirror acne through school and college. At the age of 22 I went on Accutane and it stopped the cysts but I still broke out. I started taking Ortho Tri Cyclen (and later Tri Sprintec, the generic). My skin improved 90% and stayed that way.

I was on it for years (I'm 35 now). I went off it last year. I did not have any flare up or worsening of acne, not one bit.

But, to address the discussion of taking a break from bcps...I now believe that for me it's not a good idea to go on and off bcps and cause too many hormonal fluctuations. That first time I went off the pill I got off easy, no breakouts or bad reactions. But then I went back on the pill, and not only that, I tried a different kind (Yaz). I broke out during 2 months on Yaz so I soon switched back to Tri Sprintec. Soon after I started experiencing hair loss, which I can't actually attribute to one particular cause (even my doctors can't say for sure), but I have a feeling all that hormonal flux didn't help.

After about a year I got off the pill again. This time my skin got really oily and started breaking out (not horribly bad, but worse than it has in a long time). Oh, and my hair started shedding again big time.

So my theory, at least for my own situation is that getting off bcps was fine, but messing around with it too much or doing anything that causes a bunch of hormonal shifts is not good (for me).

Because of the oily skin and breakouts I've gone back on bcps and this time I do not plan to get off them unless I absolutely have to. I started Sprintec (the monophasic generic of Ortho Cyclen) yesterday, and I'm just praying I do well with it.

Sorry, that was kind of a long answer to your question, but the gist of it is that I did not break out at all when I got off the pill after having been on it for a long time. If I had just stayed off it instead of experimenting and going back on and off I probably would have been just fine.

Hope this helps!

I'm another one with a horror story after coming off the pill I'm afraid. Was put on dianette for moderate acne in my teens (which was mainly on my back but also on my face) and did I get a shock when I came off it 5 years later. I had to go back on dianette AND add spiro AND add retin-a to get clear again. It took me 7 years to get clear. It is a long process of trial and error.

I have just come off the dianette again but this time I switched straight onto cilest. There has been a lot online about what happens when stopping dianette (if I'd known that could happen I'd never have taken it! Why was I not informed!) and I think when coming off dianette or yasmin there has to be a back up plan. My advice would be to either switch onto a lower dose, more "standard" pill, then come off that 6 months later or whatever. Also prepare the body with herbs. When I come off cilest in the future I will be going straight onto agnus castus. This helped me in the past, and it helped my skin. Also have back up antiandrogens to take, such as spiro, or lots of spearmint. Coming off to get pregnant would be a different story though. I really wouldn't know what to do in that situation actually.