Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seneca

Any ladies out there stand by birth control?

I have never been on birth control before but I hear it works great for skin. I believe Orthotricylen is best but I have read that the side effects include hair loss...eek...and my hair falls out in chunks if I am stressed so I am scared. Anyone have any testimony before I make an appointment at the you know what?

I was on Ortho for about 3 years. I didn't see any general improvement in my skin, but it did make me breakout less during that "time of the month" which is a plus. Also, it makes your cycle very regular. I have also heard that it causes hair loss, weight gain, etc... (I didn't have any of those side effects either) so just be careful.

I am currently on Estelle...I would say it has improved my skin by 15-20%. If it happens that you don't require a contraceptive you can probably find more effective acne treatments with out the pill-popping. However if you need a contraceptive - then defintely use a low/no progestrogen (spelling?) one a different pill could make your acne worse. Beware - read up though... low progestrogen pills have a higher incidence of thrombosis. You want to really discuss with your doc any exisiting problems you have ie:diabetes, smoking, high bp because they all raise the risks.

I have been on Orthotricyclen for a few years and it has helped but only at random times. Some months my skin is great, other months it is just so so. I just don't get how I can have clear skin for weeks at a time, and all of a sudden for no reason (except maybe stress or that time of the month) break out! I am so interested in this new Clearlight invention and hope that will help even more.

I used Ortho Tri-cyclen for 3 1/2 years. After about a year my skin was clear and I was HAPPY! Then to make a long story short, I developed a blood clot and had to stop taking them. Blood clots are a risk when you are on birth control pills. Be careful of any swelling, tingling or pain. I wish I had never developed a blood clot because my skin was great. I'm using spiralactone and finevin cream now. It's working ok. I guess I just need more time.

i've been using orthotri with menocycline for a couple years. when i went off these, i got much worse and when i'm on them i still break out sometimes, esp at the time of month but it's what's worked best for me. i've tried all but accutane and i'm really quite pleased with it. only downside is now i gotta concentrate on getting rid of the scars. :?

yes, I highly recommend it. I just went off of Ortho Novum 1/35 (a very low dosage) about a year ago and my skin is breaking out like crazy now. I started when I was about 19 and now I'm 34 so I missed all the bad acne all those years. Granted it was a huge surprise for me to have this cystic acne come upon me so suddenly but I really think the pill was helping balance me out all those years (granted I did have some breakouts still, but they were less than once a week). Now, I just have to hurry up and get pregnant, have the kid and finish breastfeeding, so i can start back on the pill!

good luck. If you find the pill helps but only marginally, try taking Mincocycline with it.

Whitney

I've been on ortho tri cylin for about three yrs and I rarely have flare ups anymore. I think the ortho combined w/ a glycolic face wash I got from my dermatologist was the ticket to keeping my skin clear. Now, I am just trying to get rid of some of the scarring.

I'm on Orthocyclen, and thats really helped my skin. Most of the spots are gone and so is the redness. My doctor said my skin will be completely clear in 4 months. I was on doxycyclene (sp?) and that wasnt working, so I stopped going to the derm and went on BC, and believe me, it really works.. But, its different for eveyone.

I used to be on Ortho Tricyclen in my early 20's and never had pimples. I've been off of it for a couple years now and I have been getting cystic pimples and small white heads. I think it can be helpful to some people.

i think bc was keeping me clear for the last several years because over christmas i forgot to renew my prescription and so i went about 2 or 3 weeks without it and then started up again for a month and then decided for stupid reasons :lol: i wanted to skip a period, so i skipped the dummy pills and started right away on the hormone ones for the next month. :roll: To make a story short, after having clear skin for 2 years :) on bc, i broke out like nothing else quite shortly. I think ortho tricyclen had been keeping me clear. I messed with my hormone balance and asked for trouble. anyone else have something like this happen to them. trying to skip a period? or not being consistent? :?