Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Side Effects Poll

MemberMember
(@accutane-dude)

Posted : 06/19/2004 6:29 pm

I have had only minor side effects myself and this is my 2nd cycle at 120 mg. My first cycle was 100 mg

MemberMember
(@prettybow)

Posted : 06/19/2004 10:26 pm

My side effects were minor and Ive been on accutane 4 times. I had a dosage of 40mgs even days, 80 odd days. I never noticed hair loss, and the main problems was severly dry lips- I had to keep them moisturized at ALL TIMES. Also, my eyes were very red and dry all the time and walking around the mall and stuff bothered me cause of the air coming at them. As long as I put lotion on my body every day, I was fine, but if I forgot, Id get this nasty rash. The med they gave me for it cleared it up fast, but I realized that I could avoid it all together by putting lotion on each and every morning.

MemberMember
(@accutane-dude)

Posted : 06/20/2004 1:17 am

I got a bit of a rash myself, but again I got this cream that got rid of it really quickly and now it hasn't come back at all even though i am on 120 mg everyday.

MemberMember
(@andy777)

Posted : 06/20/2004 1:21 am

I had 1 course of accutane, my main side effects were dry face ,extremely dry lip and dry eyes. Somewhat of a sore back also, not sure if it was a side effect of accutane though.

MemberMember
(@spgator)

Posted : 06/20/2004 4:47 am

no hair loss but Accutane makes me hate everyone that I have not known beforehand.

All the time I think about getting to know people and talking to them but when im around them I just give off a "fuck off" attitude and the person usually seems to sense it.

plus it is killing my fucking back so bad I have to have a MRI in a month.

MemberMember
(@smoothbeamin)

Posted : 06/20/2004 1:26 pm

In general Isotretinoin is well tolerated by most people. I did 40mg 1XDaily for 6 months and had dry lips/facial skin, sore back/slightly though. All was fine after that. Acne did return though.

MemberMember
(@evigrex)

Posted : 06/20/2004 4:23 pm

-Dry skin and cracked lips.

-Felt miserable 3-4 months into therapy, I think was mostly related

to being considerably fatigued. That was possibly due to added

stress to the liver, but I definitely am not my normal self while

on.

-High triglicerides/poor lipid profile. I am lean (Like..really lean.

i'm 6'1" and 160 lbs) but I understand that this can cause

problems with gaining fat, since fats are floating around in the

bloodstream.

-Impaired glucose tolerance. Best to avoid sugar and refined

foods because accutane causes insulin resistance, which

can often lead to diabetes. My blood sugar #'s were definitely

off while taking accutane, much higher than they are normally.

-Increased scarring. I run low dose/long term accutane now

to prevent scarring. Too much oil on my skin is detrimental, but

almost no oil will cause scars big time. The oil is there to heal

the skin so I thought it would be best to not aggravate it.

My scars luckily are very, very unnoticable

I keep on hearing uninformed idiots talking about how accutane will

kill you or cause you to go crazy from co-workers and friends.

I know many people that have used the 'tane and none of them

had any problems with depression and some of the more nasty

side effects

MemberMember
(@evigrex)

Posted : 06/20/2004 4:25 pm

And the worst side effect of all is the one on my wallet. Insurance

won't cover it so I have to order it overseas, which works out

to 65 bucks for 30 capsules of 20mg roche accutane.

Worth the $$ though

MemberMember
(@accutane-dude)

Posted : 06/20/2004 6:12 pm

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to actually have to pay for it. Mine I think comes to $220 for a months supply at 120 mg a day. Kinda pricey for sure. I completely agree with you evigrex about uninformed people judging accutane. Like I have been on some message boards and it's always the same 2 people that say how bad accutane is. However, 1 of these people are blaming it on there son's brain damage.... which could of course be anything and is very likely to not be the accutane, and the other person has liver problems because she by accident was taking another prescription while on accutane that had vitamin A in it. So those 2 people have the entire forum thinking accutane is evil. The worst part is people are believing it, it's really ridiculous. I don't know if I mentioned it on these boards before but i know of about 10 people off the top of my head that have been or are on accutane. None of them have had any severe side effects.

MemberMember
(@evigrex)

Posted : 06/21/2004 2:35 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced moodiess while taking accutane?

I feel like a damn girl because my moods swing so much...heh. I'm usually

easy going and calm always

MemberMember
(@jamesbooker)

Posted : 06/21/2004 10:42 pm

Dry lips , i never took more than 30 mg per day and it work great that way ..clean face without side effects biggrin.gif

MemberMember
(@vince-is-a-stud-muffin)

Posted : 06/22/2004 1:40 pm

I can say that pretty much ever part of my face is dry, and I really do have severe depression. I don't think accutane caused it though because I was super depressed before I started it.

MemberMember
(@evigrex)

Posted : 06/22/2004 5:31 pm

ETD, Out of curiosity. Have you tried to scrutinize your diet and cleansing regime? I'm almost 100% sure that your skin will become clear at 120mg/day, but you may want to analyze things closer to achieve more success in the interim.

Your diet should be pretty low fat and sugar during accutane, especially at that dose. Accutane will cause increased triglicerides, which are fats floating in the bloodstream - coupled with insulin resistance. Some individuals with a stressed

endocrine system will excrete the cholesterol on the skin -- which will of course

aggravate existing acne.

Also, you should clean your skin only 2X a day with an oil free cleaner which is

free of any harsh chemicals. Cetaphil non-comedogenic is a good one. And of course, keep your hands away from your face! No matter how much you're tempted to touch it. Never.Touch.It. And change your towel to a new clean one daily.

I understand you have many existing whiteheads, do not pop them. If you feel

okay with it, dab a bit of 10% bp on it - some will scoff at this but I never

had a problem. I used a very small amount on the spot only, and they usually

went away overnight.

Also -- be sure to take accutane with a BIG meal - one that contains some fat, but not egregiously so....healthy fats like flax seed in oatmeal or almonds works for me. Accutane is lipid soluable which basically means taking it with water alone is almost useless, as very little of it will be absorbed for use by the body.

MemberMember
(@evigrex)

Posted : 06/22/2004 5:37 pm

Dry lips , i never took more than 30 mg per day and it work great that way ..clean face without side effects  biggrin.gif
MemberMember
(@acne_suks)

Posted : 06/22/2004 10:51 pm

hmm...i had the typical side-effects -- dry skin/red eyes/etc

I started cutting myself again when i was on the medication. I had cut myself once or twice before (probably a result of acne)...but started doing it more often meanwhile on accutane. Haven't cut myself since i've been off of it though smile.gif I don't blame accutane 100% but i do believe it imposed on my moods. In addition, whenever i eat fruits now with a large amount of VitA (carrots/bananas) i'll have a headache for a day or more...and it hurts to touch the right side of my forehead (which looks like it's swollen all the time?? but not very noticable)

MemberMember
(@accutane-dude)

Posted : 06/23/2004 12:55 am

hmm...i had the typical side-effects -- dry skin/red eyes/etc

I started cutting myself again when i was on the medication. I had cut myself once or twice before (probably a result of acne)...but started doing it more often meanwhile on accutane. Haven't cut myself since i've been off of it though smile.gif I don't blame accutane 100% but i do believe it imposed on my moods. In addition, whenever i eat fruits now with a large amount of VitA (carrots/bananas) i'll have a headache for a day or more...and it hurts to touch the right side of my forehead (which looks like it's swollen all the time?? but not very noticable)

MemberMember
(@shriek)

Posted : 07/09/2004 1:16 pm

I am on accutane now.

can I use facial wash that has glycerin in it?

oil-free actually refers to mineral oil-free, doesn't it? But now almost no cosmetic uses mineral oil any more...

I had papaya(may be a rich source of vitA) juice this afternoon, and i also had fried chicked for my supper. I think it's very bad for my health and the healing of my scars while on accutane. I feel so bad for having had those staff...

MemberMember
(@heron)

Posted : 01/12/2005 4:31 pm

I have taken accutane over a year and a half ago. It cleared my acne up great, but I got severe back problems along with dry lips/skin. I am still experiencing these side effects today. Also latley I have been getting severe sharp pains through my abdomen and stomach. I beleive this is symptoms of a severe side effect, Inflamatory bowel syndrome (IBS). I have heard of amny others with these severe effects and I am thinking of a lawsuit against Roche. Please tell me your thoughts. cry.gif

MemberMember
(@xxillusion)

Posted : 01/12/2005 6:00 pm

well I'm not on accutane but my eyes are dry by themselves. I can't drive with conditioner/heat blowing on me, and going to malls is a nightmare! I have to use eye drops all the time.

Hopefully my doc will put me on accutane

MemberMember
(@ecsrun2)

Posted : 01/12/2005 7:07 pm

I have taken accutane over a year and a half ago.  It cleared my acne up great, but I got severe back problems along with dry lips/skin.  I am still experiencing these side effects today.  Also latley I have been getting severe sharp pains through my abdomen and stomach.  I beleive this is symptoms of a severe side effect, Inflamatory bowel syndrome (IBS).  I have heard of amny others with these severe effects and I am thinking of a lawsuit against Roche.  Please tell me your thoughts. cry.gif

MemberMember
(@lilyadoreaol-com)

Posted : 01/13/2005 7:21 am

the only side effects i've had have been the dry skin and lips, and slight back pain... however the peeling on my face got so bad i had to reduce my dosage sad.gif

MemberMember
(@heron)

Posted : 01/15/2005 4:14 pm

have you tried going on prilosec to rule out the possibility you have severe acid reflux?

I had the same thing you are describing - severe sharp pains in my abdomen. Also I had pains (months later) in my upper chest that i thought was a heart attack. It was all related to the same thing, and prilosec cleared it right up.

-Eric

MemberMember
(@jaurim540)

Posted : 08/06/2007 2:04 am

this may sound weird but everytime i go on accutane.. i get so fuckin happy. all my depression goes away. it makes me put my acne probs in the backround cuz i can rely ont he pills.

MemberMember
(@jr86)

Posted : 08/06/2007 12:18 pm

i just got minor side effect: dry lips and skin, nosebleeds, some occasional minor joint soreness. all the side effects went away after stopping accutane.

MemberMember
(@marcel)

Posted : 08/13/2007 9:58 am

I have dry skin and cracked lips on 20 mg. still breaking out.. not sure if that is because i'm fairly new at using it still.