Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey,

my red marks are still on my skin after 3 years. I heard on most people, they fade away in a couple months! but why not mine? they're mostly on my cheeks, cause 3 years ago while I was on vacation, i got a BAD breakout mostly on my cheeks. but i didn't pick, pop or touch them. as soon as i got back home i bought clearasil. haha i know it's stupid, but I was 13 at that time. It didn't help and i went to a doctor. In those 3 years, I constantly used acne products.

currently, im using a isotretinion gel for about 1 month now. so again to my very first question:

WHY WON'T MY RED MARKS GO AWAY!?? they're even worse than normal acne, cause you can't treat them so good. I'd be glad if anyone could give me advice how I could finally get rid of them.

Thanks and bye

Edited by Thriller

hey,

my red marks are still on my skin after 3 years. I heard on most people, they fade away in a couple months! but why not mine? they're mostly on my cheeks, cause 3 years ago while I was on vacation, i got a REALLY REALLY BAD breakout mostly on my cheeks. but i didn't pick, pop or touch them. as soon as i got back home i bought clearasil. haha i know it's stupid, but I was 13 at that time. It didn't help and i went to a doctor. In those 3 years, I constantly used acne products (prescribed from the doc of course)

currently, im using a isotretinion gel for about 1 month now. so again to my very first question:

WHY WON'T MY RED MARKS GO AWAY!?? they're even worse than normal acne, cause you can't treat them so good. I'd be glad if anyone could give me advice how I could finally get rid of them.

Thanks and bye

check if isotretinion gel contains bp , that could be ur reason bp prolongs the appearance

no, my isotretinion gel does not contain bp. and yeah, I still have some active acne, thats why Im using the isotretinion gel. but it's not as bad as I had 3years ago. after that, i never really had severe acne, maybe 5-6 small ones in 1month, which would go away quickly. but when its summertime, i get very stubborn pimples. In these 3 years, I still kept going to the derm, but he never gave me anything to treat red marks, only acne treatments.

what is emu oil? where can I buy it?

It's difficult as most derms will focus on getting the acne under control before dealing with the marks. Something like tretinoin is a good choice really as it fights acne and is said to improve red marks. There aren't really any other products that do both like that medically to my humble knowledge.

The only thing really therefore is to either focus on 100% eradicating the acne with a method, and then adapting that method afterward to also deal with red marks and yet retain the efficacy against acne OR carry on as you are and supplement the treatment with home remedies like emu oil, olive oil, ACV, etc. Different things work for different people, so you'll probably try a number of them before one works well but definitely fight it head-on; the only way to beat acne in mine and many others' experience is to wage full-on warfare.

hmm, my derm told me to use the isotretinion gel for 3months. I think after Im done with it, i'll ask him about tretinion. I used Aknemycin Plus solution once, i think that had tretinion. but it was not good for the acne and I didnt like it at all. maybe It'd help me but i didn't use it regularily. applying it was a pain, cause it took so long and you had to apply it directly onto the zits. is there a tretinion gel? I like gels better...

And another question about tretinion: I heard, but i don't know if its true, that tretinion loses its effectivity on acne bacteria after a couple weeks. Is that true? or is it always effective, like benzoylperoxide?

since Monday, I've been drinking 2teaspoons ACV diluted with water in the morning and 2 before I went to bed. And I stopped using my cleanser. I only wash with warm water. And my skin looks better. before it used to be oily, now it's normal the whole day, but it becomes just a little oily in the night. and the red marks SEEM to be better. Is this just my imagination or did ACV help? or was it that I quit using my cleanser?

is there a tretinion gel? I like gels better...

And another question about tretinion: I heard, but i don't know if its true, that tretinion loses its effectivity on acne bacteria after a couple weeks. Is that true? or is it always effective, like benzoylperoxide?

since Monday, I've been drinking 2teaspoons ACV diluted with water in the morning and 2 before I went to bed. And I stopped using my cleanser. I only wash with warm water. And my skin looks better. before it used to be oily, now it's normal the whole day, but it becomes just a little oily in the night. and the red marks SEEM to be better. Is this just my imagination or did ACV help? or was it that I quit using my cleanser?

Tretinoin does come in a gel under the product name Retin-A definitely - I'm using it! Dunno about other brand names, but for Retin-A I think they do the gel as just 0.025 concentration and both that and 0.1 or 0.01 for the cream. I can't remember the specific numbers, sorry - I think the 0.025 gel I'm using is a strong one though.

As for losing its effectiveness, I don't think that's true in such short-term. There are many people who say using Tretinoin causes you to have an initial break-out around 3 weeks or even 2-3 months into treatment, where you get a hell of a load of acne making people give up the product. However, you're supposed to ride it out and soon the breakouts stop and you're left with good skin times. So, considering all these reports, I've never heard of Tretinoin losing all its effectiveness after just a few weeks.

The ACV thing could be good. I've been taking it in pills, one with every meal for only a few days now, but I have to say I am noticing something. Maybe it's my Retin-A starting to kick in properly, but my face does feel smoother. I'd imagine though that the ACV should also make the body smoother, and I haven't noticed anything other than on my face. As for the cleanser, I doubt neglecting that has helped if it's a mild cleanser. I do notice though that first thing in the morning my red marks are almost negligible, and then after I do my cleanser they get red again... that's apparently something to do with blood vessels and getting your face wet, not the cleanser. Neglecting washing the face I guess could cosmetically make it look like your marks have improved... but in reality they haven't. Not to put a downer on your efforts there lol, I'm sure the products you're using are healing the marks!!!!!!!

well, i think my cleanser is mild. it says pH 5.5, but it's not directly an acne product. It says for sensitive and problematic skin. It's not that i stopped washing my face, I just wash it with warm water in the morning and in the evening. And I put on the iso gel. thats it, and nothing else. I'll do that for a while and see how that goes. If I start breaking out, i'll use my cleanser again.

I actually wanted to order a TCA peel kit from makeupartistchoice, but with shipping and all that, it would be too expensive for me (i live in germany). So I figured I should just stick with what the doctor gave me to clear my acne first.

Until i go to the doctor again (15th october), im thinking about buying this emu oil. what is it and where can I buy/order it?. do you think if I'd put it on my face before I apply the iso gel, would it decrease the iso gel's effectivity? or should I apply in in the morning?

Guest missyjean130

I've had red marks that lasted years,the really really old ones are a slight pink hue. So,they do go after after a long time, but I do peels,acv,and vitamin C serum.

Some people are just prone to red marks whether they pick at their spots or not. There's TONS of things you can use,but in my opinion the best things to use are something exfoliating+healing in conjunction with each other. For me that's salicylic acid peels and apple cider vinegar with vitamin C serum...I'll add a retinoid too once I can afford them =P

I think you're on the right track taking care of your acne first too,and a lot of things you use for acne can help red marks too!

I use to use jojoba oil and emu oil, and for some individuals it makes them break out. However,jojoba oil never broke me out when it was actually in a moisturizer,just in concentrated amounts. Just a little heads up.

Someone on this board mentioned using a retinoid product, then AHA after 10 mins, then Ambi Fade Cream after another 10-15 mins. I might try that soon on by body, as retin-a alone is currently helping fade little marks I think but not the big ones.

So I started to use my cleanser again, I was too afraid to break out lol.

Im using: Sebamed Liquid Face and Body Wash

I was drinking ACV for like 1 week, so I thought I might use it as a toner aswell.

Is it normal that my skin has become more oily since I use ACV as a toner? I use it for about 3 days now. My regimen is this:

Morning: I drink 2 teaspoons ACV dilluted with water and wash with cleanser.

Evening: I drink 2 teaspoons ACV dilluted with water, wash with cleanser,

apply undilluted ACV on face and then apply the Isotretinion gel.

Is this good? If I use the ACV as a toner before I apply the iso gel, will that have a negative effect on the effectivity of the iso gel? What makes my skin so oily, please help!