Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
warhead55

Dermatoligist has me on 20mg/day... I weight 130 pounds(male).

So as the title reads, my dermatoligsts has me on 20mg of roaccutane per day, for six months. DOes anyone think that this is too little? I am EXTREMELY worried because I fear that because I'm on such a low dose, my acne will come back after my 6 months' treatment is finished. Will extending this to 8 months help with this? Or should I ask that my dosage be doubled? The latter is more difficult because I got roaccutane while on vacation in my home country (taiwan), since it is MUCH more cheaper there, and the dermatoligist just gave me the 6 months worth of 20m/g roaccutane to take back to the US. I just took my 3rd pill today so I need answers before it is too late!

Dosing depends on many factors including weight, age, type of acne, side effects, etc. At your weight if you had cystic acne that is resistent to other meds and at least moderate in lesions, you are in great health and have a good immune system...you could tolerate up to 80MG per day. A smarter approach than giving you a max dose would be to ease into it to minimize side effects. Thus, starting with 20MG der day and upping that 20MG per month for three months till you are taking 60MG per day would be a moderate amount for your weight.

I'm 220lbs and taking 80MG's per day which is probably an average size dose for my weight. But it sounds like you aren't planning on being monitored while on this drug since you are stocking up for an entire treatmen period. Therefore, if that is your plan I personally wouldn't go above the dose you have been gven. You could mess up internal organs if you are not careful.

This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

What are you planning to do if you experience negative side effects? Hop on a plane to Taiwan??

This drug is extremely serious. You should have blood tests before and after taking accutane to make sure your liver functions and cholesterol levels are within healthy ranges. A dr. should monitor your skin's progress every month to determine whether you need more/less medicine and whether you should stop/extend your course.

Sorry to be harsh, but you could permanently hurt yourself in the longterm just to save some cash upfront.

What are you planning to do if you experience negative side effects? Hop on a plane to Taiwan??

This drug is extremely serious. You should have blood tests before and after taking accutane to make sure your liver functions and cholesterol levels are within healthy ranges. A dr. should monitor your skin's progress every month to determine whether you need more/less medicine and whether you should stop/extend your course.

Sorry to be harsh, but you could permanently hurt yourself in the longterm just to save some cash upfront.

Actually, I was planning on having a dermatoligist in the states monitor my progress. But yeah, since I passed all of the blood tests with flying colors, I doubt 20 m/g will be much, if any, harm at all. But I can be wrong.

If you have moderate to severe acne, that seems like a pretty low dose. I weigh 145 and was on 40mg for the first month and then 80mg for the rest of the course. I had bad moderate acne.

Actually, I was planning on having a dermatoligist in the states monitor my progress. But yeah, since I passed all of the blood tests with flying colors, I doubt 20 m/g will be much, if any, harm at all. But I can be wrong.

I'm really glad you have a dermatologist. For me, I don't think I would find a derm willing to monitor me if I wasn't going through iPLEDGE and getting my Rx every month, but since you have, good luck to you.