Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple Shampoo

Another "I Give Up" Thread

I've been on the Regimen since Dec. 08. Has my skin cleared up between then and now? Yes and No. It's basically been a rollercoaster experience. One day my face would look like its on its way to being clear; the next day and I'll wake up with another pimple or two.

Everytime I shave I pretty much get new pimples. And yes I use the Gillette Sensor razor, I used to use Gillette Good News as well. I also used to use the Cleanser as my shaving cream... and I still broke out. So I figured, why don't I just use a shaving cream? I picked up an Aveeno shaving cream and went from there.

Today I sit here with breakouts under my jawline and some on my cheeks. I'm 23 and fed up. I guess it's time to see a dermatologist. My reasoning is; why waste time every morning and night on this regimen that's giving me random results when I can just go to a skincare professional to really tell me what I need. On the other hand, I went to a dermatologist when I was 18 and it went absolutely no where. All these products just lead to uncomfortable dryness.

What the hell do I do? This just kills my confidence and makes me angry.

Well for starters, stop doing dairy all together and don't eat any seafood! Dairy (milk specifically) has been linked to acne. Seafood (shrimp, lobster, crab, etc) is a guaranteed zit if you've got acne prone skin! I'll explain further in another email if you'd like more info.

Also, are you cleaning and sanitizing your razors after every use?

What kind of program are you on?

Derterminig what type of acne yo've got is the first step to treating it. All acne is NOT created equal!

Make sure you are changing your pillow cases every night or, sleep on non-bleached paper towels. It might sound ridiculous but it helps. Don't shave against the grain and always steam or use a hot terry cloth to make shaving easier. If you can avoid shaving everyday, do so by all means. Mass consumption of eggs can also result in stys, so try avoiding that as well.

I'm a pharmacy Dermo-Advisor here in NYC and i see hundreds of people weekly with concerns about acne. Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions or if you just need some emotional support:). I suffered with acne for about 12 years because I didn't know how to treat it. I didn't know how to treat it because I didn't know what type of acne I had. Now that I do, my skin has been bleimsh free ever since and yours will be too!

God Bless...

I've been on the Regimen since Dec. 08. Has my skin cleared up between then and now? Yes and No. It's basically been a rollercoaster experience. One day my face would look like its on its way to being clear; the next day and I'll wake up with another pimple or two.

Everytime I shave I pretty much get new pimples. And yes I use the Gillette Sensor razor, I used to use Gillette Good News as well. I also used to use the Cleanser as my shaving cream... and I still broke out. So I figured, why don't I just use a shaving cream? I picked up an Aveeno shaving cream and went from there.

Today I sit here with breakouts under my jawline and some on my cheeks. I'm 23 and fed up. I guess it's time to see a dermatologist. My reasoning is; why waste time every morning and night on this regimen that's giving me random results when I can just go to a skincare professional to really tell me what I need. On the other hand, I went to a dermatologist when I was 18 and it went absolutely no where. All these products just lead to uncomfortable dryness.

What the hell do I do? This just kills my confidence and makes me angry.

If you have been using the Regimen exactly as directed for the entire time and haven't experienced significant clearing, I'd say it is time to go to a dermatologist.

Make sure also that you read:

The biggest mistakes people make while on the Regimen

and Take this quiz that will help you with your specific situation (sex/regimen usage/other factors that impact the success of the Regimen)

I agree. Check out the links ^ that Wynne gave above.

Rewatch Dan's shaving videos and let's be sure you are using his method.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#shave

http://www.acne.org/guide-to-shaving.html

And review the Regimen videos and watch closely to see if there is anything you may be missing. http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Be sure you are using lots of bp on those stubborn areas, twice a day.

Have you considered adding in the AHA lotion? Your skin may benefit from the exfoliation. Especially if your breakouts are due in part to shaving.

And if you're just not seeing the results you'd like, by all means see a Dermatologist.

Good luck!

Well for starters, stop doing dairy all together and don't eat any seafood! Dairy (milk specifically) has been linked to acne. Seafood (shrimp, lobster, crab, etc) is a guaranteed zit if you've got acne prone skin! I'll explain further in another email if you'd like more info.

Derterminig what type of acne yo've got is the first step to treating it. All acne is NOT created equal!

Make sure you are changing your pillow cases every night or, sleep on non-bleached paper towels. It might sound ridiculous but it helps. Don't shave against the grain and always steam or use a hot terry cloth to make shaving easier. If you can avoid shaving everyday, do so by all means. Mass consumption of eggs can also result in stys, so try avoiding that as well.

I'm a pharmacy Dermo-Advisor here in NYC and i see hundreds of people weekly with concerns about acne. Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions or if you just need some emotional support:). I suffered with acne for about 12 years because I didn't know how to treat it. I didn't know how to treat it because I didn't know what type of acne I had. Now that I do, my skin has been bleimsh free ever since and yours will be too!

God Bless...

I've actually stopped any and all dairy intake. I used to love eating cereal, and now I haven't touched it in months. I eat seafood every now and then, so that wouldn't be the problem. How do I clean and sanitze my razor? I mean how much bacteria can it really pick up?

I've been using Dan's products for months, all 3 steps, twice a day. I don't change my pillow cases everyday but I do wash them at least once every 1-2 weeks. Also, I thought I was supposed to shave everyday so my skin gets used to it? Plus I always shave with the grain.

Thanks for your help.

God Bless...

I've actually stopped any and all dairy intake. I used to love eating cereal, and now I haven't touched it in months. I eat seafood every now and then, so that wouldn't be the problem. How do I clean and sanitze my razor? I mean how much bacteria can it really pick up?

I've been using Dan's products for months, all 3 steps, twice a day. I don't change my pillow cases everyday but I do wash them at least once every 1-2 weeks. Also, I thought I was supposed to shave everyday so my skin gets used to it? Plus I always shave with the grain.

Thanks for your help.

just put alcohol on your shaver, god I couldn't possibly shave without doing that its like asking for a breakout. Shaving improperly has such a huge impact on acne that you wouldn't believe, which i discovered just recently by trying something different. The Aveeno shave gels are incredible for shaving by the way and was a huge step up from using soap or those shaver brand shaving gels,) Gillette etc) ,so by using that alone it cut my acne down by quite a bit.. I would still get them on my cheek when i shave however. I found that my acne there is either caused by shaving to many times over the area to try and get a close shave or i shave against the grain, and sadly it seems its the only way to get a really close shave there(right cheek). It seems my left side which is perfectly clear is always close shaven and the other side which I cant seem to get a close shave without irritating it, always breaks out. So Ive recently been just lightly shaving over the area and getting as much hair as I can in a few strokes and leaving it at that and don't break out there anymore, I just get a slight redness which fades by midday. hope this helps.

Well, I just want to encourage you not to fret. Treating acne, especially severely modest-Extremely Severe is going to take time. No matter how great of a product you use or a type of diet you decide to take on, it will take a looong time. I've had acne for about 5-6 years and only in June of '08', Did I really buckle down and start treating my acne. It's alittle over a year and I'm about a Month away from being totally clear!!

Now, During that time it was quite the "rollercaster".. There would be times where it looked like my acne would be better in a week and when a week rolled around, I would have a huge breakout on my hands or Face in this case. Then, I'd get a new topical cream and the breakout would subside, Only for my mirror to show that my pores weren't done "pukeing" the disease. You have to remember that the battle isn't just: whats on the surface but way down underneath to where it all begins. You have to be patient and realize it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Alot of people want to quite their current acne treatment, because they complain of majorly breaking out. Usually, atleast half of those cases their face is just expelling waste from underneath; which basically indicates their face is beginning the process of healing itself. But alot of times we let whats visual or what we can see, determine our course of action.

Don't give up, you have come this far. Quitting now will only stop the results your getting and may even begin to take away. The more you quit, The harder it becomes to start over again.

Also, What kind of Razor are you using? When my acne is really bad, I only use the rechargable/electric shavers. I don't even bother with the disposables. Also, don't even use shaving cream. When you shave dry so many times, you just become immune to the dry, itching feeling. IT may very well be an allergic reaction to the type of cream you are using too.