Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blueharmonyk

Since Accutane is no longer sold...and other questions!

Hi, I'm new here and have tried a bunch of different antibiotics but to no real avail and am finally considering Accutane. I even tried lasers, but that was a stupid idea that just led to more scarring.

BUT NOW ACCUTANE ISN'T SOLD! My timing is impeccable.

According to , a bunch of generic brands aren't as effective, which really sucks because I just saw these amazing transformations on this website and really kinda want to go through with this...but I do have my reservations.

1. Which generic brand would you recommend?

2. How long was your course?

3. How bad were your side effects?

4. How often did you go to the doctor's office (for blood tests, others, etc.)?

5. How much did it cost?

Thanks everyone! I really hope you can help me out here...!

Whoever told you that the generics aren't effective... they are idiotic.

1. Doesn't matter, every single generic AS WELL AS Accutane contain the SAME EXACT ingredient, isotretinoin. There is no difference between any of these drugs

2. 5 months

3. not bad, only dry lips

4. once a month for blood tests and derm visits

5. prescription costs $10 for a month's supply of 80mg/day

The bioavailability of the isotretinoin may differ among generics. Your doctor might know the studies that evaluated the most effective generic alternatives to Accutane and if s/he doesn't know them off hand, can find it out by research. You likely might be able to as well.

Cost will depend on your insurance, if you have insurance. The cost per month varies wildly depending on dosage, pharmacy, and your insurance.

Whoever told you that the generics aren't effective... they are idiotic.

1. Doesn't matter, every single generic AS WELL AS Accutane contain the SAME EXACT ingredient, isotretinoin. There is no difference between any of these drugs

2. 5 months

3. not bad, only dry lips

4. once a month for blood tests and derm visits

5. prescription costs $10 for a month's supply of 80mg/day

Thanks Max, but what about doctor visit and blood test costs?

In the US, generics are monitored very closely and there should be minimal to no difference compared to the brand name product. In other countries the story is different. There are studies of generics from other countries that unfortunately did not match up well with accutane. The following is from the FDA:

--------------------------

Q: What are generic drugs?

A: A generic drug is a copy that is the same as a brand-name drug in dosage, safety, and strength, how it is taken, quality, performance, and intended use.

Q: Are generic drugs as safe as brand-name drugs?

A: Yes. The FDA requires that all drugs be safe and effective. Since generics use the same active ingredients and are shown to work the same way in the body, they have the same risks and benefits as their brand-name counterparts.

Q: Are generic drugs as strong as brand-name drugs?

A: Yes. The FDA requires generic drugs to have the same quality, strength, purity and stability as brand-name drugs.

Q: Do generic drugs take longer to work in the body?

A: No. Generic drugs work in the same way and in the same amount of time as brand-name drugs.

# Through review of bioequivalence data, FDA assures that the generic product will perform the same as its respective brand name (or reference) product. This standard applies to all generic drugs, whether immediate or controlled release.

# A generic drug must be shown to be bioequivalent to the reference drug; that is, it must be shown to give blood levels that are very similar to those of the reference product. If blood levels are the same, the therapeutic effect will be the same. In that case, there is no need to carry out a clinical effectiveness study and they are not required.

1. Generics and Accutane are more or less the same. Most people here are either on claravis or sotret.

2. 8 months

3. Not bad at all, only dry lips and slightly dry skin

4. I went for the first month after that I didn't go anymore

5. $168 per month of Accutane. But than I wasn't insured and I was taking the brand name Accutane.