Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JonoB

Zinc Dosage/Time

Hi, I just purchased Amino Acid Chelated Zinc with Copper and I need some advice on how much zinc do i take daily and at what time?

One Tablet provides:

15mg Zinc - 100% RDA

1mg copper

Thanks

you made the mistake of buying zinc with copper and also buying small 15mg tablets. if you want any beneficial affect on your acne buy 50mg capsules of just zinc with no copper. the best time to take it is before bed on an empty stomach. if you need to eat something because of nausea then eat something that has no grains in it because it will minimize absorption.

Don't listen to this idiot above me.

Your Zinc Pills are fine. Take them with a meal. Take One or two daily. Start with one and go from there.

woops.... I didn't read it till the end lol.

and at what time?

Viz a viz acne, nobody knows for sure (no studies on timing AFAIK), but clinicians that want to get the most zinc actually absorbed (e.g., for treating Wilson's disease) give it on an empty stomach just before bedtime (and without copper).

IMHO, the only important mechanism by which megadose zinc impacts acne is by ensuring that every last scrap of superoxide dismutase (SOD) can be turned into zinc superoxide dismutase -- and the lack of SOD in acne sufferers is due to a collapsed melatonin cycle (melatonin being what stimulates cells to emit SOD every night). Fixing the melatonin cycle (hard, if you work indoors and sleep where electric lights are available) is more effective and removes the need to take zinc at all (vegetarians being a possible exception).

The level of copper included in most zinc pills is so low it should have no effect on the absorption of the zinc. Taking large doses of zinc also depletes your copper levels so it's important to get copper in your diet. I would take at least 50mg a day of Zinc if you plan to see any acne results.

I am supplementing with zinc, usually I am taking 100 to 200 mg before going to bed on empty stomach. The advantage of taking it at night is that it won't interfere with iron absorption or anything else. I often combien it with 300 to 600mg of magnesium citrate.

I recently got a blood analysis and I am quite deficient in zinc. I know that zinc supplementation can deplete your copper stores, but everytime I eat load of cashews, which are extremely rich in copper, I get some zits, so I have come to the conclusion that I have or get more than enough copper and don't fear depleting my copper stores.

I touched on magnesium earlier. You might want to check out some of the books on mg, like "The Magnesium Miracle" or "The Magnesium Factor". These books do not directly talk about acne, but they show how potent magnesium is to improve other ailments and as acne is only the iceberg or result of many other problems your body is dealing with you should look into it.