Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jokerj

bikini line- to wax or not to wax?

so guys, i have a question for you (and girls, i'd appreciate your input as well)

i've been getting brazilian waxes for over a year now. i love them- love the salon, the people who work there, the way it feels after- i dont even think it hurts that badly anymore!

the problem? horrible ingrown hairs and redness afterwards! :doh:

i'm not talking some little black bumps and splotchiness- big, red, infected monsters that only really start to subside about a week or two before it's time for my next appoinment

they start sometime into the second week after getting waxed. i usually get waxed every 2 months or so. i've tried everything to help them- over the counter stuff, steroid creams, antibiotic ointments, even the acne.org regimen! they tend to keep it at bay, but far from taking them away completely. it's always a painful, bloody, time consuming mess. i know my boyfriend loves the smoothness, but i'm not sure he loves the infected mess!

i got laser hair removal on my stomach and i don't have the money for down there, not to mention i don't think it's safe for that area.

i wanted to get a rotary epilator, but found on hairtell.com that they cause even WORSE ingrown hairs! yikes!

my thought- i have an electric trimmer i use for touch ups in between, and instead i can just trim very closely. my only problem with that is i cant trim certain VERY SENSITIVE parts.

guys (and girls), what are your thoughts? is smoothness worth bumps? do guys really care that much about being hair-free down there, or will a light trimming do? any advice wuld be great, please!

thanks, and, as always, love and support to all those out there who need it most

jj

guys (and girls), what are your thoughts? is smoothness worth bumps? do guys really care that much about being hair-free down there, or will a light trimming do? any advice wuld be great, please!

hahaha this is kinda awkward...i didn't want to have sex with my ex boyfriend one time and he was bothering me about why so i let him know that it was because i was bumpy from my last waxing session...he said that he didn't care and that he figured thats what would happen since my skin is so sensitive and that he thought it was hot that i get brazilians because not a lot of girls are brave enough to do that for their guy. in more or less words haha.

and as for the way one would look at a guy with it...this same ex shaved down there and sometimes i'd notice little bumps but i didnt give a sh*t, it's way better without all the hair.

to treat and prevent the bumps, use an exfoliating scrub with salicylic acid and a salicylic acid lotion every day.

I love Brazilian waxing, too. Luckily me, it does not cause any ingrown hair. (I used to shave and yes, the ingrown hair was actually a nightmare. I even suffered from a bump, which looked very much like a pilomatricoma). My therapist advises to use more scrub which will help pretty much with the ingrown hair problem. The scubbing works one me, too :)

i've tried sacylic acid scrub, it didn't seem to work. i was thinking maybe i'd get waxed down there just every so often and then maybe the bumps wouldnt be so hard to manage? i dunno. i do think i should wax it sometimes because it keeps the hair thin and i have the coarsest hair, with three or more hairs in each follicle!

i just dont think i can deal with this every two months

and i know its better not to have all the hair but if i trim the hair down so that its practically shaved off (but not quite because that could cause ingrown hairs, too, as cheeky said) is that really that much worse than a brazilian?

jj

i've tried sacylic acid scrub, it didn't seem to work. i was thinking maybe i'd get waxed down there just every so often and then maybe the bumps wouldnt be so hard to manage? i dunno. i do think i should wax it sometimes because it keeps the hair thin and i have the coarsest hair, with three or more hairs in each follicle!

and i know its better not to have all the hair but if i trim the hair down so that its practically shaved off (but not quite because that could cause ingrown hairs, too, as cheeky said) is that really that much worse than a brazilian?

jj

not exactly sure what you're asking, but just trimming would be good. i prefer the feel of a brazilian for myself, honestly. it just feels more hygenic. but if you feel good with just a trim, by all means give it a shot.

jj

not exactly sure what you're asking, but just trimming would be good. i prefer the feel of a brazilian for myself, honestly. it just feels more hygenic. but if you feel good with just a trim, by all means give it a shot.

yeah i feel like it is, too

i think ill just get a brazillian like every 3 or 4 months instead of every 1 1/2 or 2

Guest missyjean130

I don't like my vagina to look like it has some sort of venereal disease. No bumps thank you very much.

I slept with a lot of guys,as long as I didn't have a bunch of obvious pubes they really didn't care. Heck...some guys even told me they'd prefer a little bit of hair.

Hair just grosses me out and makes me feel dirty though. So I just shave regularly not going against the hair. Keeps my junk looking good,with no bumps. Granted pubes grow back pretty fast it seems...but I don't mind a quick shave every other shower to keep things in check. Stubble after shaving isn't that noticeable.

I work as an esthetician. I have been doing brazillian waxes for almost 10 years now. To help prevent the ingrowns, make sure that the tech who does the wax cleans the area before and after the wax. Also make sure they apply a soothing cream after.

Give your skin a day to rest after. Any rubbing, chafing. or exfoliating can irritate the skin. After your rest day start exfoliating the area every single day. You can use a wash cloth. Scrubs work for some people, but can make the problem worse for some. If you can find a product called Tend Skin I would advise you to use that every day, or atleast every other day. It is an antiseptic base with salicylic acid. My clients loved that stuff. If they had really bad problems I told them to use Bikini Zone along with the Tend Skin. Just don't stop exfoliating or the ingrowns will develop.

I hope this helps.

From a guy's perspective:

Funny thing is my girlfriend doesn't shave and I do! lol. But because I shave I know how hard it is to keep that area bump free - it's very hard. I really wouldn't care at all if there were bumps from shaving, it's completely understandable.

From a guy's perspective:

Funny thing is my girlfriend doesn't shave and I do! lol. But because I shave I know how hard it is to keep that area bump free - it's very hard. I really wouldn't care at all if there were bumps from shaving, it's completely understandable.

yeah. i mean, if it's not near the genitalia you know it's just from shaving, and i don't care at all bc i just really don't like hair.

yeah, i also found out about this nufree stuff.. but none of the sites give me that great info on it.

anyone got any info on nufree-finipil?

I work as an esthetician. I have been doing brazillian waxes for almost 10 years now. To help prevent the ingrowns, make sure that the tech who does the wax cleans the area before and after the wax. Also make sure they apply a soothing cream after.

Give your skin a day to rest after. Any rubbing, chafing. or exfoliating can irritate the skin. After your rest day start exfoliating the area every single day. You can use a wash cloth. Scrubs work for some people, but can make the problem worse for some. If you can find a product called Tend Skin I would advise you to use that every day, or atleast every other day. It is an antiseptic base with salicylic acid. My clients loved that stuff. If they had really bad problems I told them to use Bikini Zone along with the Tend Skin. Just don't stop exfoliating or the ingrowns will develop.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that information about the rest day! I didn't realize that and immediately would begin exfoliating. I'll check out the Tend Skin, too. Hope it's in my local drugstore.

waxing is better than shaving..I don't know when I waxed I didn't experience anything bad except for the soreness and redness that actually lasted quite a while, like 3-4 days. But after that it felt great! Actually quite sensual.. but I read that frequent brazillian waxing or waxing in general may loosen the skin like the labia and wherever your pubic hair grows on! That kinda frightened me..I'm thinking of going for a few more brazillian waxes to make the hair softer(my hair actually grew out lighter than before..weird!! but I like it) and then I'll stick to leaving a landing strip in the middle, I think that's sexy and makes me look less kiddie overall..

waxing is better than shaving..I don't know when I waxed I didn't experience anything bad except for the soreness and redness that actually lasted quite a while, like 3-4 days. But after that it felt great! Actually quite sensual.. but I read that frequent brazillian waxing or waxing in general may loosen the skin like the labia and wherever your pubic hair grows on! That kinda frightened me..I'm thinking of going for a few more brazillian waxes to make the hair softer(my hair actually grew out lighter than before..weird!! but I like it) and then I'll stick to leaving a landing strip in the middle, I think that's sexy and makes me look less kiddie overall..

oh god... the labia thing scares me... dont want loose lips! lol

yeah i keep a landing strip, youre right about it looking less kiddie- i think getting the whole thing taken off puts out a weird prepubescent vibe... haha

so no one has heard of this nufree stuff?

thanks for all of your suggestions guys!

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that information about the rest day! I didn't realize that and immediately would begin exfoliating. I'll check out the Tend Skin, too. Hope it's in my local drugstore.

You might be able to find Tend Skin there. You can find a similar product at Sally Beauty Supply. Otherwise you might have to go to a salon or spa

yeah i keep a landing strip, youre right about it looking less kiddie- i think getting the whole thing taken off puts out a weird prepubescent vibe... haha

Yeah I tried using it on my clients. I hated the stuff. They say bacteria can't grow in it. They don't want you to clean the area first. They want all the skin oils to stay on. That's where the bacteria are and it freaks me out. I'm a sanitation nazi. I didn't like it because it is strip wax as well. I prefer to use hard wax, it does a better job down there.

I hope this helps.

You might be able to find Tend Skin there. You can find a similar product at Sally Beauty Supply. Otherwise you might have to go to a salon or spa

Yeah I tried using it on my clients. I hated the stuff. They say bacteria can't grow in it. They don't want you to clean the area first. They want all the skin oils to stay on. That's where the bacteria are and it freaks me out. I'm a sanitation nazi. I didn't like it because it is strip wax as well. I prefer to use hard wax, it does a better job down there.

why is strip wax bad? does it not really take off the hair? and does it matter if the oils stay on if they are killed by an antibacterial agent? because my salon uses hardwax and they clean me before and i shower afterwards and still get awful bumps

I hope this helps.

why is strip wax bad? does it not really take off the hair? and does it matter if the oils stay on if they are killed by an antibacterial agent? because my salon uses hardwax and they clean me before and i shower afterwards and still get awful bumps

I didn't like Nufree, but different things work better for different people. Some people really like Nufree, but in my experience it didn't work well at all. I just prefer hard wax in those areas. Nufree did pretty good on the rest of the body like the face, legs, etc. Try it you might like it.

I just reread your post and saw that you are talking about Nufree Finipil. That isn't wax, it is a liquid that helps reduce ingrowns, sorry bout that. It is really similar to the Tend Skin I was talking about.

I hope this helps.

I didn't like Nufree, but different things work better for different people. Some people really like Nufree, but in my experience it didn't work well at all. I just prefer hard wax in those areas. Nufree did pretty good on the rest of the body like the face, legs, etc. Try it you might like it.

I just reread your post and saw that you are talking about Nufree Finipil. That isn't wax, it is a liquid that helps reduce ingrowns, sorry bout that. It is really similar to the Tend Skin I was talking about.

yeah i was talking about both the nufree hair removal and the nufree finipil. does the nufree finipil work better than tend skin? cause i tried tendskin and it barely made a dent, and i used it each night for like two weeks

I'd get ingrown hairs regardless. It didn't matter if I waxed or shaved, although it seemed like I got fewer when I did wax...:shrug:

The only thing that stopped the problem was laser hair removal. If you have a hair-type that will work with it and ever have the chance to get it done I highly, highly recommend it.

I hope this helps.

yeah i was talking about both the nufree hair removal and the nufree finipil. does the nufree finipil work better than tend skin? cause i tried tendskin and it barely made a dent, and i used it each night for like two weeks

How often did you use the Tend Skin? You can use it up to 2 times a day. Once is the usual, but you have to use it every day up until you get reay for a new wax. Finipil is worth a shot if you can get it. It may have a hair growth retarder as well.

I hope this helps.

How often did you use the Tend Skin? You can use it up to 2 times a day. Once is the usual, but you have to use it every day up until you get reay for a new wax. Finipil is worth a shot if you can get it. It may have a hair growth retarder as well.

i used it twice a day... maybe ill try finipil

I hope this helps.

i used it twice a day... maybe ill try finipil

It may work for you better than the TendSkin