Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Balefire

A few questions...

I just have a couple of questions then I'll probably be gone, seeing as I don't like talking about...this. I'm only here because I'm tried of friends going "o lol well just get u sum proactive and u'll get a gf no prob"

Is butter, like, Land-o-lakes butter, ok to use with food or does it cause acne? Same with chocolate milk and peanut butter.

Also, I'm not turning vegetarian, but I want to cut out meats for a while. What would I eat instead? I know, lame that I don't know what else to eat.

I think the majority of my...flaws are cause by my slight allergy to cats, which my mother collects like stamps (14). Allergy leads to scratching, leads to irritation, leads to ew. But God forbid we get rid of any precious cats. =|

Butter, chocolate milk is a problem if you have an allergy to dairy or are lactose intolerant. Also, the chocolate milk is probably high in sugar. You don't want to drink sugar. And peanut butter will be a problem if you have a peanut allergy. Otherwise, try to get natural peanut butter with no added sugar or oils. It's a great source of protein.

Nuts, seeds, and legumes are great sources of protein. Many of which are very high quality and complete or very near complete. Contrary to popular belief, plants are rarely completely lacking in any amino acid, they just may be a bit low or limited in something. You can go to nutritiondata.com to look up foods and you'll see a protein analysis with a graph of the 8 essential amino acids and a total score. You'll find quite a few are better protein sources than beef.

If you eat the really high protein sources along with a variety of other veggies, you don't really have to worry about careful combining. But if you want, there's the classic bean and grain combinations like the Mexican/Central American beans and corn tortillas, Cajun, red beans and rice, etc. Legumes are limited in Methionine although many do have quite a bit. And dark green veggies like Spinach, kale, broccoli, are high in methionine.

Peanuts, pumpkin seeds, lentils, red kidney beans and black beans are all very dense, high quality protein sources. Quinoa is a seed used as a grain that is a complete protein, but it's a light fluffy grain when cooked so a cup of it doesn't have that much protein. you'd need to eat a lot. Still I like to have it instead of rice when I make veggie stir fry or curry.

Also, a lot of plant foods contain substances that are anti-histamines. Vitamin C for example, along with all kinds of flavanoids. There's a list of things to eat/do for allergies if you click on the Good Things link in my signature.

You could also eat high omega 3 fish like salmon, sardines, herring, etc. Which will have the added benefit of being high in vitamin D. And eggs, from pastured hens, preferably. And preferably that are also fed flax seed. They will have more omega 3.

You'll find lots of recipes for legumes in the Food and Recipe thread under Important Topics.