Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I own 3 Cetaphil cleansers:

Gentle Skin Cleanser (liquid pump)

Daily Facial Cleanser (liquid pump)

Antibacterial Gentle Skin Cleanser (bar)

The last of those 3 I keep in the shower and use almost daily, but try to keep away from using it on the face too much.

The first 2 is where I have the question -- which is better for my face? Currently my face is stuck in a rather red state after being worn by BP 10% and Differin. My acne is moderate, but not severe, and my skin is a bit on the dry side but not too dry.

Here is a comparison of the ingredients:

Gentle Skin Cleanser: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

Daily Facial Cleanser: Water, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Copolymer, Glycerin, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Phenoxyethanol, Masking Fragrance, Panthenol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben.

The Daily cleanser seems to have much more going on in it, but I don't know what any of those contents are/how they affect the skin.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It's mostly a matter of personal preference as both are fine cleansers that are not likely to cause problems. The "Daily" cleanser definitely does a much better job of removing lotions, makeup, oil, etc. that remain on your face than the "Gentle" cleanser, but is slightly more drying. I never feel like the "Gentle" cleanser gets me clean enough, but it depends on how many products you use and how you like your skin to feel after cleansing. The "Daily" cleanser has a fair bit of fragrance to it, so if you are sensitive to fragrances or just don't like them, go with the fragrance-free "Gentle" cleanser.

I would say if your face is really dry and red then the gentle cleanser would be the best in that situation since it will likely be the least irritating. But as mentioned previously the daily facial cleanser will do a better job of washing off moisturizers and make-up. There are some people that feel that the moisturizers really build up over time and need to be washed off well. I've never tried the antibacterial bar, I know some people that swear by it, and I am considering trying it. Right now I use both the gentle cleanser and the facial cleanser just depending on my mood.