Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TommyBlates

Differin Gel or Cream for oiliness

Hi all,

Just a quickie if anyone knows the answer. I'm on differin gel 0.1%, have been for 4 weeks, and just getting over the initial breakout i think. One of the main reasons I went on differin gel was to control oiliness and it has done that really well, however I was wondering whether this is due to the gel preparation I am using rather than the drug itself (as I know they recommend the gel for oilier skins), or would the cream control oiliness just as well (as it contains the same 0.1% adapalene). I know the cream is oilier whilst its on my face, but if I'm only using it before bed I wouldn't mind if it actually controls sebum production as well as the gel if you see what I mean. I would opt for the cream if this were the case because it is less irritating.

If not the case, then I will stick with the gel for now, but could anyone tell me when to expect a reduction in the pinkish tone to my face, like I say I've been on the diffeirn for 4 weeks now. I've heard LionQueen mention using emu oil to control the irritation. I've got some but am unsure if i should try it out or not. Will it interfere with the differin?

Not such a quickie in the end I suppose! Apologies for waffling on!

ANy help would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

I am on the cream and its making my skin more oily rather than controlling it. How irritating have you found the gel? Seriously if its not horrible stick with the gel. I am thinking of asking to switch next time I go to the derm because the cream makes my skin oily all the next day

I am on the cream and its making my skin more oily rather than controlling it. How irritating have you found the gel? Seriously if its not horrible stick with the gel. I am thinking of asking to switch next time I go to the derm because the cream makes my skin oily all the next day

Not toooo bad, but makes my skin a little pinkish. I'm toying with the idea of using emu oil after the gel to see if this reduces the redness without making me greasy the next day. Really don't know what to expect but tbh the cream (I switched back for the last few days) is not making me too greasy. Don't know if the dryness caused by the gel is still counteracting the oiliness a bit. How long have you been on the cream? Maybe you need to wait a little longer because i think retinoids can improve pore function over time (thus reducing oil) rather than simply by drying the skin out.

Yeah I thought differin was supposed to reduce oil production, but mine has increased a lot since I stated using it about a month ago. Its not just on the nights I use it but during the day after I wash it off as well.

Does the cream make you worse during the day or just at night?

By the way if your face is getting red jojoa oil really helped me. I put a drop in my moisterizer at night and my face hasnt been peeling or red since. Its wonderful

Also I switched to the gel to see if it helps. Hopefully the cream works for you, its supposed to be way less irritating.

Yeah, cheers mate. The cream seems to be doing ok so far, oiliness seems under control knock on wood, and like you say not at all irritating. Good luck with your regimen

Yeah, cheers mate. The cream seems to be doing ok so far, oiliness seems under control knock on wood, and like you say not at all irritating. Good luck with your regimen

you too! Good to hear the cream is less irritating. I think the gel isnt irritating me because I went through the initial irritation period already with the cream so Im gonna stick with the gel. It seems to be helping with oil